1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is so overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Feb 23, 2015.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Mentioning Canaan and defense in the same sentence :eek:

2. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

And it worked? We are contending now (weather you want to accept that or not) and we didnt tank to do it. Does that mean nothing to you?

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Uhh...no, that's completely wrong. Morey has been on record saying the best way to rebuild is to tank, but Les wouldn't let him and wanted to try and compete while rebuilding.

4. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I think PO musta bought all of Canaan's rookie trading cards.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

This is the biggest lie of all. It had nothing to do with luck. It had everything to do with years of careful planning and asset accumulation, all the time never being uncompetitive and never tanking, to allow himself to be in position to make a trade like that when it was available.

It was no luck that Morey had the assets at his disposal when the time came to get that trade done.

6. hakeemthagreat

I agree. He's a good GM who's had his great moments. But he's also had horrible ones that have set us back. Joey Dorsey, resigning Mchale in the offseason, letting Aaron Brooks last year etc. This year's deadline was also a big failure. Ppl on here are quick to say "it's takes 2 to make a deal happen ya know!!!!!". But isn't that why ya'll proclaim him the best GM in basketball? Because he makes us so much better each year? Yes he got us Josh Smith & Brewer. But we have huge holes on this team that were ignored, and could come back to bite us in the playoffs. Again, he's a good GM but not some type of basketball guru. Can we get out the 1st round before ya'll crown this guy?

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

The Rockets haven't been healthy ALL YEAR, retooled the bench, stole KJ from Philly and we might have a decent point guard for once that can hit a layup and an open shot while loosing Parsons, Asik and Lin.

I'll take Morey over most..Heck, Cuban is jealous of him..that should tell you something

8. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Not correct. He's gone out of his way to explain how tanking actually isn't effective.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nice try Sam Presti, you should get over it. Not healthy to carry those feelings this long.

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

We don't worship anyone around here. We currently have a team tied for the third best record in the league and are looking at home court advantage in the playoffs even with our second best player missing more than half the season. This team is subjectively good. It is irrational to start looking for fault when 90% of the moves the guy has made have been positive.

It's especially stupid when posters show no context (or viable solutions) for their complaints. How many years was the front office at Dallas together before they won? How many seasons did it take for Jordan to reach the Finals? Hell the spurs even took 7 years to win the 5th title.

This is a process. You can make all the right "moves" and still lose. This idea that after 3 seasons of Harden we should scrap everything and start over if we don't make it to the finals is ridiculous.

11. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

I've watched every rocket game. I think Canaan plays pretty good defense for the most part. And you tell me what exactly Jason Terry brings to the table other than spot up 3 pointers? Defense? If Bev gets hurt, do you really think Terry can guard other team's PGs for 40 minutes? Canaan at least is younger and faster. And he can put pressure on the other team's PGs because Canaan has the ability to pull up off the dribble and attack the basket with his quickness.

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

Morey fans are crazy, I can tell you that, like TMac fans. They are all young and great on excuses. Do not waste time on them.

I stopped on arguing with them long time ago.

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Actually you are not correct. Morey is on video saying he thought tanking was the fastest way to rebuild and Les wouldnt allow it.

14. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

That had literally nothing to do with my point, so nice evasion.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm a Morey supporter. He did get us Harden who has saved or franchise from mediocrity. I just hope we don't continue to go season to season with completely new rosters. Him not trading DMo was a plus in my book.

I understand when he took over he had to get us a star, and that involved major turn over, but now we have our star and it's time to get decent roll players to come here. Problem is, I'm afraid those players are afraid they are just signing up to be assets.

Plus I'm still butthurt we missed out on Lowry because he was chasing Bosh/Melo.

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

The same posters that scream about roster turn over are the ones b****ing that we failed during the deadline. Irony explosion.

1 person likes this.
  18. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Although I don't completely agree with the OP, I can see where he is coming from. I will say it again as I have before, the hate comes from all the love. Is DM a good GM, yes. Is he a "GOD" of GM's, no. Some people want to put him on MT Rushmore of GM's when he has just as many bad moves as he has good ones. And I know no GM is perfect, so I don't hold the bad ones against him. My only problem with him is his constantly chasing so-called Allstars and not building the perfect team around the ones you have. Flexibility won't win Championships, especially if you miss out on the guys you are holding the flexibility for.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

So you were one of Morey's biggest supporters and then Isaiah Canaan was the straw the broke the camel's back?

This topic is an innate part of every GARM thread.

20. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

We are only half game above the 6th seed . And personally I think we have the worst squad among WC playoff teams because we only have one reliable scoring option in Harden and when he gets doubled in the playoffs our offense is basically dead because Ariza will miss all wide open threes. Seeding doesn't mean ****.