1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Is it? What if a PG has high steals by gambling passing lane and leaves his man open? Would that indicate his ability as a defender?

I think Lin is a good help defender and an average man-to-man defender, but struggles to fight through screen a lot due to his size and lateral speed. However, he's nowhere near the defensive sieve like Calderon.

One thing that I notice is the decrease in Lin's steal stat post All Star Break, where he stick to his man a lot more instead of gambling on defense earlier on. I'd rather have that than point guard reaching and leaving his man open.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I thought Garcia was waived? Possible that Canaan is packaged in a trade. Anyone know if his cap impact is prohibitive to signing Dwight for the max?

3. SugarLandDream8

Not sure how true it is but I heard from a few fans that

Dwight was where is Jeremy Lin? And why didn't the Rockets bring him to the pitch. Seems like one of the top 2-3 reason Howard would join the Rockets is the China connection.

Minus Jeremy Lin, the Rockets is not the favorite team for China anymore like the 3 years after Yao retired and before Lin came here.

Seems like all the rumors Lin was on his way out were way out of line.

After all Brooks was let go so the only pg the team would have is a Beverly who played a few months in the NBA primarily as a 20 mpg or less backup PG.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lin's defense is the least of the Rockets concerns. Lin was one of the better perimeter defenders on the team. All the PGs on the team played very good D, man or help.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yeah i was pleased with it, its really a non-issue. I'd rather he not gamble so much when doubling but as said that could be as much coaching philosophy. We need more help so Harden can exert more on the defensive end.

6. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Thank you thank you thank you.

7. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

I wouldn't be surprised, other NBA players seem to love the Linsanity story and probably would be excited to play with Lin

8. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

If I was a bigman, honestly, there are few other PGs I'd rather play with...Lin doesn't shoot much, will always pass me the ball if I'm in position, throws great lob passes, and is best skill is his ability to find the open man once penetrating into the the paint.

9. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Everyone including the haters know hes unselfish, and his vision is something everyone knows has been good. Really can pretty much promise Lin's assists average will go up with Dwight on the court

10. ILoveWhiteGirls

Remember all the passes to Asik if he would just catch and convert and not have butterfinger hands, Lin's assist would go up tremendously.. I don't know how many times Lin passed the ball to Asik down low to only not convert or turn the ball over. Imagine Dwight this upcoming season with Lin at the point?

11. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I can't tell from your posts- one minute you put Lin down and the next you compliment you. Are you a LOFSTALOHOT (LOF Sometime and LOH Other Times)? lol

12. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'm told they'd want to add veterans. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/jacoby__44">@jacoby__44</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA">@AlexKennedyNBA</a> Why? Rockets can sign Dwight outright and still keep Omer and Jeremy.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statuses/352272070022934528">July 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Rockets continue to gauge interest in Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik around the league. If they sign Dwight Howard, both players may be moved.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statuses/352271746667249664">July 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Prediction:

By July 10th, Howard will sign with the Rockets, then expect a trade of Asik for Josh Smith. Expect resign of Delfino and other veterans like JR Smith or even Ginobili.

15. GMNot

GMNot Member

One step at a time. IF Howard chooses Houston he will, arguably, alter every other player's role who is on the court with him in varying degrees. Players who seem to struggle a bit at times will almost assuredly look better with Howard added to the starting lineup.

Morey was clear. He listens to all offers. Any other course would not be doing his duty to Les' wish to have a championship team again. Morey is also smart about basketball and basketball players. To me it's been a no brainer all along that if you get Howard and can keep Asik you do it. (The Howard to Houston buzz started when it was reported that Howard was intrigued by playing with Asik.) No other team will be able to match the defensive tandem of Howard and Asik at the center position. Bench time is when nice leads can suddenly disappear and also when real gains can be made. A strong bench separates average teams from elite teams. Who took over the center spot when Asik had to rest or was in foul trouble? No Asik on the floor and teams saw a green light to attack the basket. How many times have you heard announcers say, "And they've done all this while X sits on the bench" -- X usually being a star player.

A smart organization won't give up such a strong center position tandem easily -- or shouldn't. It would have to be failing after a fair trial to ponder such a change.

Before all the clamor started about Howard, when Morey and McHale were responding to questions about who is our "other" star to go along with Harden, they were saying one of our bright young players (such as Motiejunas, who if you'll remember fans were drooling over the possibilities) needed to step up and become that star player at his position. Well, I think Motiejunas will become better. And no fan saw Parsons coming. What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be. So patience everyone. Including Dwight. Wholesale trading for trading sake just to look better on paper doesn't always turn out as planned.

If Howard comes to Houston NO one, including Howard should demand any roster changes until we see how the pieces we have fit. Chemistry will be the least disturbed by adding one player and waiting to see what happens. Besides, we may face another season without being able to see the product on our current providers. Howard might increase the number of calls to the boneheads on all sides who have given us this TV mess. That would be an unintended plus. Imagine the Rockets get Howard and you won't get to watch the games. If we thought it was frustrating to not get to watch the team after the Harden trade, that would be pure Hell.

16. GMNot

GMNot Member

P.S. - Dwight Howard is listed as 6'11". Asik and Motiejunas as 7'0'. Athleticism is also needed, no doubt. But as they say, you can't teach height. ;)

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I think Morey is trying to clear capspace for Howard. He must be confident that he can lure Howard so now it's just having disscussions with teams about taking on Lins contract. I think Asik for Smith after we trade lin to another team. I don't see Atlanta being interested in Lin.maybe a 3 team deal to see lin go there and Asik to Atlanta.

After that he will(morey) will try tto convince a few vets on their tailend of their careers to sign here to ride the new big 3's bandwagon to success.IT'S UNBELIVEBLE, I know, but who knows?.

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Fixed.

19. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

Preach on brother, I've been on the twin towers wagon since Dwight didn't sign an extension. Asik must stay!

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

True, I noticed that Lin would usually pass the ball to Parsons instead of Delfino to score 3 in many occasions.