1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey interview following D'Antoni hire press conference on SportsTalk 790's The Bottom Line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

2. bmd

bmd Member

Good interview.

3. arjun

arjun Member

thanks for posting this!

4. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Can anyone post full transcript?

5. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Can't listen at work. Any recap?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If anyone listened live, I believe this was the interview where they jokingly told Morey that "hey, we heard Dwight just opted in" or something and his reaction was kind of funny. Like a "don't scare the hell out of me kind of way" but instead said something like "we'd love to have him" (?) can't remember. I don't recall it in this clip, so maybe it was cut out. I know I didn't dream it. :grin:

7. therox3

therox3 Member

Recap:

Daryl starts with joke about Adam Clanton not wearing black due to the D'Antoni hire.

This was a down year. Thought we should have been in the Clippers tier (not GSW).

Morey says his role with Les hasn't changed. Kisses Les's ass for a bit.

He says the hire was a collective decision. It wasn't just Les though he was involved. Kisses Les's ass some more.

Says D'Antoni is smart, forward thinking. Watches lots of basketball. Can help a team win right away. Thinks people focus too much on LA and NY without looking at their rosters or chemistry.

Seems to walk back on his previous comment that rockets wanted a defense coach. Thought an offensive coach would work better with the current roster. Didn't want to hire a coach just because they're different from the previous coach. Didn't think any of the younger coaches were ready.

Says D'Antoni's defense is unfairly criticized. They played at a faster pace and did win 62 games. Thinks assistant coaches will fortify the defense. D'Antoni liked being paired with a defensive mind (Mike Woodson) when he was in New York. Wanted to do the same thing here.

He expects the roster to change this offseason. Admits the 56 win team overachieved.

8. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Is there such a thing as overachieving in sports. Besides for example injuries to your opposition?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bull**** Daryl. . . . .stop it.
    This years team SEVERELY under acheived

Rocket River

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, Morey stated that last season's team overachieved and this season's team underachieved.

I think both claims are true.

11. MONON

MONON Member

Hence the vast disparity in the way the 2 teams played.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I listened live and it really sounded like Morey did not want Dwight to opt in. It was kind of a joking moment, but I felt like it was serious at the same time.

I can't remember the exact phrasing, but remember thinking wow I can't believe they just said that.

I believe Morey also dropped an S**t bomb that didn't get dumped.

#12 mikol13, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Now we have both Mauri and Le$ confirming my suspicions. The hire was a collective decision and not a Le$ ONLY decision as most here would have and ultimately if Mike 'Anthony fails, Murray will be on the hot seat and rightly so.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Did you really expect him to state it was 100% Les's call and he wanted JVG instead? I guess you can believe what you want to believe.

1 person likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't ask him to be objective. He posts the exact same Morey-hatred constantly. Morey must have borrowed $20 and never repaid it.

Of course, for Morey haters, if you don't hate him, then you think he walks on water, feeds thousands of hungry people with four loaves of bread and one basket of fish, cures a leper with a wave of Harry Potter's wand....

16. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, so Morey felt an offensive coach 'would work better with the current roster'.

They hire MDA.

Then Morey finishes by saying he expects the roster to change this offseason... :confused::confused::confused:

What am I missing here?

1 person likes this.
  17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Perhaps the roster they have in mind will work better with MDA, not necessarily this roster, but going forward.

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I thought initially but then I reread his quote.

Morey said 'current roster'.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think last season's 56 win team overachieved that much. Because, the year before that they won 54 games. This season the Rockets underachieved horribly.

The 56 win team did overachieve if you consider all the injuries. How McHale got 56 wins out of that team was impressive.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

In the last 24 hrs I've heard "up and down" used multiple times.

"We want to play up and down." "Up and down style" etc.

It's not the up I'm concerned about. It's the getting back down part. We were atrocious in transition D last year. I really have huge doubts about our guys ramping up speed on offense but being the same s**t show when that pace demands equal ramp up on getting back.

1 person likes this.