1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey: "every once in a while, there’s a die-hard fan, a smart fan, a poster who can give you

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s.b713, Apr 17, 2014.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

yea he whiffed on leonard and royce (or was it mchales pick)

lamb got us harden so no complaints. sanders woulda been nice but hey we have dwight and omer now..

but imagine this squad with parsons and kawhi.. o man

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The talent evaluation groupthink among the NBA makes picks from 10-30 a laughingstock of amateur hour scouting.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

So who told him to draft Joey Dorsey and sign Dexter Pittman?

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would never give him any advice, but I was astonished that Les and DM gave up a 1st round pick to give up T-Will. They could have just sent him home and let his contract expire, or cut him.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have always thought of Clutchfans as a good source for Morey.

6. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Morey finally admits to plagiarizing JCDenton's DETAILED statistical analysis...

7. JBar

JBar Rookie

Only the ones with Microsoft paint graphics

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Hey Morey,

Dragic. :(

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Morey, leverage the media to hype up the thought of Durant coming to Houston to get Lebron feeling as though Houston is building a dynasty. Then get Lebron and Durant to bid on US.

10. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

I have often wondered why a smart guy like Morey didn't write a program that was the basketball equivalent of a Monte Carlo Simulation, where every single possible trade scenario that fit with the salary cap was considered.

Sure, it may a few million possibilities, but then you identify a player you like and it goes down to 10-20K. When you weed out what you're willing to pay, it drops down further, to a few thousand.

At that point, you can just run through the scenarios and push for the ones that pass the sniff test.

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

This is a good idea that wouldn't be too hard to implement. The biggest constraint on trades, though, is that all teams involved have to think it's beneficial for them. And teams have really different evaluation criteria.

12. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

Agreed, but Morey's point here seemed to be that there was a bunch of trades he never considered. It seems to me, rather than reading boards, you could just do all the work in-house by calculating all the possible scenarios. For example, type in a command like "Reggie Evans"+"Jeremy Lin" and have all the scenarios that included those two major pieces. At that point, you may surprise the opposing GM by finding a third team that could satisfy all parties.

13. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Morey gave up a 1st round pick FOR Terrence Williams. Morey then cut him when he traded for Camby I believe.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

Not sure who it is, but well done. Even Morey has respect to you. Hope he also read my posts last year and that's why Covington is on our team now.

It's hard to believe that signin was coincidence after my multiple posts to sign non-known at that time player from non-known college.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That program already exists. It's called Clutchfans.

1 person likes this.
  16. noone

noone Rookie

Message board fans are niche guys. I would spend time obsessing about the casual fan.

17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He's expiring next year so I don't think it would be too hard to get a pick for him (not a great pick, but a pick), especially if they throw in some cash to help pay his salary.

18. downbytheriver

Teams don't want to face backlash from the Asian community for not playing him. If he was any other player they could trade for the expiring and waive him when the time is right to save money. He doesn't have the confidence or natural game to be a rotation player and GM's figured this out a while back.

Regarding the thread , neato. Though Morey might be cursing the posters who encouraged him to resign Lin, I have seen a lot of exciting proposals that will turn this team into a future dynasty. Hopefully

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's clearly talking about BimaThug

20. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Bima is amazing. His salary cap deconstructions are probably more sophisticated than half the front offices in the league. I think Morey signed Casspi just so Bima would keep feeding him ideas.