1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey did the right thing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Do you agree with not trading for Carmelo Anthony if it included Gordon/Capela?

1. Yes

87.7%
  2. No

12.3%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People keep forgetting this.

Our frontline was demolished by old and weak @$$ Pau and LMA.

Shark44 likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

How many times does it need to be said that there's more teams in the NBA than just the Warriors? Nene doesn't even play in back-to-backs and got injured in the 2nd round of the playoffs...

No Chance likes this.
  3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You see what I was replying to?
    They quoted the Warriors as why we needed Capela.

Context, fool..

4. arubato

arubato Member

Just like when we waited out for NYK because they don't have leverage. Look, when you have the chance of getting a player in CP3's caliber, you take it ASAP.

5. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

The Knicks just didn't want to trade him to Houston it seems. Melo was basically traded for Enes Kanter.

DeeMien and RocketsTruth like this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Well of course I realize that. Do you realize that it's not that hard to replace Capela's skillset in today's NBA? The Mavs have a similar player in Noel, and he couldn't get quality offers as a RFA. The league is devaluing centers in the Capela mold, and at the end of the day, the goal has to be to put your best foot forward against Golden State if you want to win a championship.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

I was prepared mentally for life without Melo a long time ago and still love the makeup of our current team going forward.

It's just really annoying to see him go to OKC. The PG trade was a gut punch and this just made me absolutely sick.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. Feel the same.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If we trade Capela for Melo who are we now trading to replace Capela?

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya the clips signed willie reed for basically the minimum

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

And? That's not the reason we need Capela. We need him because he is a young, starting caliber C who continues to improve and fits what we do perfectly. He's a better rebounder and rim protector than Nene who can't even play in back-to-backs or Tarik Black who's just a 10-15 mpg bench big at best on a good team.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We can also get much more for Capela than 33 year old Melo, trust me on that.

DeeMien and BMoney like this.
  13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If Chris Paul leaves after one year Morey did the wrong thing.

14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Those guys aint chop liver thou. Gasol is one of the best center ever, like tin duncan like sometimes, and Aldridge can really have his moments against houston,

I think Melo is going more now in a Iggy mode, where hes not gonna be goto anymore, his stats are coming down, and he gonna get less touches now, see him avg right around 15.1 a game which is a little higher than ryno avg 14, so its not a big deal. He might even get that 6th man role sometimes for okc, you need patterson defense in there more that having 1 superstar and 2 semi stars in the game. i know 2 of them cant play real good d.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Agreed, really losing Nene hurt us big time that series...but that's because we had no other center behind Nene.

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Melo gave the Rockets the whole summer to do it, they couldn't. I agree on the CPaul trade killed us, he should of just walked out on the Clippers instead of depleting our roster. In the end, CP3 is more valuable than Melo. getting CP3 is still a rocking summer. I really wonder if Tillman was on the sideline for this one.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Phoenix wants out of Tyson Chandler's deal badly, they might've bought him out during the season. Or taken Anderson for him.
    Or you could trade Anderson for Biyombo in Orlando since Melo turns Anderson into an expensive 6th man and Orlando has buyers remorse on Biyombo. Robin Lopez on a rebuilding Bulls team is another option.

Then you have cheap free agents and buyout options that will crop up.

Not to mention, Nene and Black can be a serviceable tandem against many teams.

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I thought Ryno was untradeable though?

This also doesn't consider that you are still making a bad trade, Capela has more value than Melo.

The reason why people say the best trades Morey makes are the ones he doesn't is because he avoids desperation deals like this. Capela is a highly valued asset, so what he didn't get Melo now, but he could net us something larger in the future.

Melo wasn't getting us past the Warriors, so no desperation needed here.

DeeMien likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No way I’d trade Capela for Carmelo. I find that completely ludicrous. I’d have considered Gordon only if CP3 and Harden gave the ok but in the world of the bbs seeming to think they know everything that’s going on behind the scenes, I’ll venture a guess that both of those guys were asked for input on potential Carmelo trades and didn’t want to move them either.

Harden and Ariza recruited Gordon hard and CP3 is a big Capela fan. Those 2 guys thrived with Harden, they will only be even more valuable with Paul.

Carmelo is an upgrade from Ryan Anderson and he’d probably be a really good player next to our two stars. I’d love to have traded Ryan for him. But let’s not get carried away with what he is and isn’t.

The Rockets improved dramatically in the offseason. They got ****ing Chris Paul. Unbelievable how that’s lost on so many people. It’s like being pissed because your dad gave you ice cream but didn’t put any sprinkles. Big deal.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

DV,
    I'll have to disagree. I agree the league is changing, but centers like Capela that are athletic, run the floor, and can play defense are still valuable. Noel is injury prone and I doubt anyone wanted to give him any significant money until he proves he can stay on the floor. Capela probably has more value to teams like us because of how well he fits in the PnR offense we run. In a league where match-ups are important, having different skill sets to call on for different teams and situations is critical.

DeeMien likes this.