1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey did the right thing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Do you agree with not trading for Carmelo Anthony if it included Gordon/Capela?

1. Yes

87.7%
  2. No

12.3%
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Beautiful post.

snowconeman22 and MLittle577 like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's actually true, if Ryno could just f'n shoot at home he'd be an amazing offensive player...and dude just disappeared in the playoffs, just ghosted.

Don't bring me one game he played well in there, most games he was getting open looks and bricking them.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh boi, not good.

#63 daywalker02, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Melo isn't good enough at this point to overcome the gaping hole that trade would leave.

I was all for Melo when I thought it was for Anderson, or for free, not if it actually costed us something of value.

ghettocheeze and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  5. thething

thething Contributing Member

Gordon is a star in his own right. I'd give up Capela for Melo but it didn't make sense to give up Gordon. Sucks we couldn't get a deal done.

Trading for Chris Paul was the real mistake. I think we could have signed him as a FA by giving up assets to get rid of Ryno, and then used the remaining assets to trade for Melo. Tricky part of that is getting the salaries to make a trade work without Anderson's salary, but with some nonguaranteeds it might have been doable.

Plus, i have to believe if we waited the clips out we could have sent out less assets in a trade. They had no leverage.

pippendagimp likes this.
  6. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Exactly.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Morey wanted to do the Clippers a solid IIRC.

What sucks is the last time Morey did this it was with Parsons...and Parsons went off hanging with Cuban and we know the rest of that story.

Which is also another example of Morey 'missing' on a deal that turned out to be beneficial to us because Parsons did nothing for the Mavs but sit on their bench and tweet out pictures of his boating habits or something.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well they wanted to have Paul as soon as possible to help in free agency, but with that said, even if it was just not possible to open up enough salary for a max, i guess we could've still traded something less to the Clippers, i mean, Pat and Lou with fillers like Harrell/2nd rounders shouldn't be that bad...that would've let us use a 1st rounder, Dekker here, which would've been way better than McDermott and 2nd rounder...

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Trading for CP3 wasn't a mistake. That allowed us to have $$ for Tucker and Lou. We gave up those assets for the ability to add other talent.

hakeem94 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I was never on board for giving up anything of value for Melo. His contract is an albatross and his best days are over. He would be a spot up 3 point shooter who doesn't really rebound. I don't think he would've been a huge upgrade over Ryno.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Everyone knew the Anderson contract was horrible last year. Morey did the wrong thing but he did it last year!

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ryno's best revenge for all this would be to absolutely kill it this year. Especially at the Toyota Center.

Daddy Long Legs, Chanmarr and Deuce like this.
  13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Just hire Robert Horry as a consultant. Tinman approves.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And Tarik Black.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You realize we're just not playing GS. You have to have a Capela to guard the paint and match-up other line-ups.

JayGoogle and Reeko like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

say it louder for those in the back...Melo was not worth losing Capela, period

No Chance and Shark44 like this.
  17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

If it was Capela, yes, I regret not trading him. He's easily replaceable and will command a large salary here soon.

We have a TPE we could've shipped for say Powell from Dallas, or even start Tarik. Tarik started here when Dwight was out and was very effective.

We're holding Capela too long. Now I wouldn't have included a first with capela and ryno, just capela, ryno, salary for Melo straight up.

We need to shop Capela now if he can land us another star. He's going to be paid star money, and isn't in any form of condition to play 30-34mpg a whole season.

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Capela doesn't even play against GSW, Nene is our best center.

Plus I bet we go Melo Ariza Harden Gordon Paul with warriors.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I sort of agree that Capela could be replaced but we don't have a replacement for this year so we needed him. Gordon needed to stay no matter what. I'm fine staying Pat for now

20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Tarik, dude.

He was great when Dwight was out 2 yrs ago. We don't need much. 25 mins, get us 8 rebs, dunk the ball, and set hard picks.