1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Denying Dwight, Analytics, and the Hard-Headedness of Dwight Regarding PnR vs Post-Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, May 20, 2016.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So now the only excuse for Howard is that the organization "Lured" him here? LMAO... OK... Or how about some self respect and personal responsibility on Dwight's part. I mean it's been 3 teams now, lol. At some point you have to admit it's YOUR fault.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Appreciate it. About the rest of Dwight's shots, good question. I was curious about that too. Here it is:

22.2% cuts
    9.3% PnR roll man
    30.5% post up
    6.3% Transition
    14.8% put backs
    15.9% miscellaneous

I see aelliot responded on that 2nd question. He is the master at understanding efficiency analytics. A lot of my understanding of stuff comes from learning from smart dudes on CF, like aelliot with analytics, or Bima with cap details.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO! I'm mad you have to explain it to him as if he were a child. Good analogy though.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Understand this, Dwight signed a 3 year contract with a player option for the 4th year. The Rockets kept their promise for 2 years and then broke it. Regardless if it was in their best interest or not, they broke their promise to Dwight.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Terrible analogy. You're equating Dwight with guaranteed failure and the rest of the Rockets' offense with guaranteed success.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i dont understand that at all. its obvious to anyone that Dwight lacks the soft touch and foot agility to be an effective back to the basket post player. His best play for his skill set has always been the PnR dunk. Plus in this hack a dwight age, why the hell would any smart coach not foul him the minute he gets the ball on the post up? At least on the PnR, he has a better chance to finish the play first.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He was failing, that's the point. Are you high? lol

1 person likes this.
  8. Ranny

Ranny Member

The "free agents will hate us because of how we treat Dwight" narrative if so absurdly empty. Give some credit to these guys, they are not stupid, they see whats happening, they talk among themselves, and they know Dwight much better than us, I mean you have future hall of famers publicly telling Dwight he is soft..... Dwight's "revealing" interview comes out and only a couple of hours later a veteran teammate of his fills in the blanks with what Dwight neglected to reveal about what the Rockets were asking of him, which was totally reasonable and within the organization's right to do so.

Mature and smart free agents will not give a damn about this, at this point i get the impression none of the big boys like Dwight too much anyway. I always thought it was kind of odd to always see that Dwight's best friends on the team were the rookies, watching him goof around with guys like Canaan or Dekker was a common sight these years. I just think he is immature, he acts like a brat because he probably is one, and when he doesn't get his way he pouts.

9. Harden's beard

what promise are you talking about and where's the evidence

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There's a difference between "failing" and "guaranteed failure". One allows for redemption. The other doesn't.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yup....it seems like people here forgot about when we signed Dwight.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Circumstances change, players change. Plans are not set in stone and need to be reevaluated depending on the situation. We don't even know what was promised or how. Did we tell Dwight he would get a certain number touches in the post? Or did we say see him as a focal point in the offense and want him to work with Hakeem and staff to improve? None of us know the answer, but you think free agents will hold it against us? I really don't think so.

We tried incorporating him into the offense year 1. His post touches were up, his FGA were up, his FG% was up. Everyone was pretty happy about the potential. He was injured year 2, has clearly declined and is now less effective, yet he still wants to be a focal point. Morey was right to tell him no, and I think that was fairly obvious around the league with how teams were defending him.

That is a ridiculous sentiment. Portland told Brandon Roy that he was their franchise player and gave him a max extension. Two years later they asked him to medically retire. Do you honestly believe it is fair to totally disregard a player's performance and effectiveness? We have to stick to a "promise" no matter what?

13. Ranny

Ranny Member

hey amigo look, i post on this forum every now and then but i generally try to avoid engaging in long a$$ arguments with fellow posters because i believe that arguing online with someone you dont know is very stupid and immature. You however are arguing with everyone on this thread defending your losing argument proving that you are in fact immature, your know, like Dwight :grin:

Believe what you want to believe and so will I. I for one think the Rockets did the right thing regarding Howard and given the recent information we received i am happy to see him leave.

14. Pete the Cheat

and I am sure Dwight promised Morey he would remain an elite player and turn into the next coming of Hakeem

who's lie was more far fetched?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What do you mean? Do you have a job? Have you ever worked at an organization and had an interview? His role was clearly defined the moment we made our pitch and "credited" Morey for his first big FA signing. The biggest, and what Harden cited, was the ability to be a main part of the offense. I don't think its good for the team so I agree with you on that front but its one of those situations that shows just how much integrity the people that run this team have.

16. Harden's beard

you don't get too many second chances in this league. Dwight already failed numerous times and never proved himself to be an efficient post-up player. He was the 'iceberg' based on our prior experience, and there is no reason to think that he wouldn't have been if we just gave him more possessions, while he actively hurts our team by doing so.

17. Ranny

Ranny Member

LOL right!!! Dwight broke his promise first!! :p

18. Harden's beard

this :)

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The promise that Dwight would be an integral part of our offense.

There's no concrete evidence b/c none of us are privy to their private conversations, but there are logical conclusions that can be drawn.

For instance, when Dwight was a FA, the Lakers told him they wanted him to have a "Tyson Chandler" role, and he balked at that. Why would he sign with us if we promised him the same thing? Obviously, we promised him something substantially better.

20. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i dont understand all this promises stuff.

1. Mchale was the coach that make commitments.
    2. Mchale was fired JBB is now the coach - doesnt need to listen to commitments he is trying to win games.
    3. Everyone should know nothing ever stays the same - anyone that doesnt know this is naive.
    4. The game evolved
    5. There is always 3 sides to every story, your version, my version and the somewhere in between - which usually are the facts. Each side always hear what they want to hear and remembers what they want to remember.
    6. The goal is the NBA champs - so why isnt everyone trying to save the sinking ship? in every group there are people that want to be part of a group but dont actively buy in. They are the ones waiting for things to go wrong so they can say, I told you so. The problem we have is we dont have a leader to put everyone in line. D'Antoni is one/James needs someone to Co -lead that is an enforcer and D12 doesnt commend others to want to have his back.
    7.**** happens - it is how we respond that matters not pointing fingers (finger pointers never end up anywhere but the bottom of a bottle with regrets).