1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Denying Dwight, Analytics, and the Hard-Headedness of Dwight Regarding PnR vs Post-Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, May 20, 2016.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good job taking the high road. He will be gone along with Harden to LA.

2. Harden's beard

Here’s what Jason Terry had to say on @TheHerd in response to Dwight Howard’s comments about Daryl Morey.

[rQUOTEr] Jason Terry: "But I said ‘Dwight, sometime in your career, you are going to have to decide do you want to become a champion? If becoming a champion means set more screens, roll harder to the basket, run the floor more, then that’s what you have to do. You can’t worry about if I’m getting touches in the post. It doesn’t matter. It’s whatever your team needs you to do on that particular night to get the win. So Daryl Morey didn’t say we aren’t going to give you the ball. We’re just not going to give it to you in the post because that's not our style of play." [/rQUOTEr]
    lol basketballholic, you were the one clamoring for getting Howard more involved in our offense all year, and now it turns out that Dwight was not interested in playing pnr and wanted more post touches. So how are you going to justify your position? No one has anything against Dwight setting hard picks and rolling hard to the basket, and if that's what is meant by getting Howard more involved offensively, then everybody agrees. But that's not what Dwight has in his mind. He wanted to be like Hakeem or Kareem, and play with his back to the basket. He complained about lack of post touches and that was precisely the reason Howard got disinterested in the game, and why he displayed poor effort on both ends of the court.

Your whole schtick against Harden that he's preventing Howard from getting good offensive possessions and Dwight has no other option than to play post-up because of Harden or whatever has been just exposed. Dwight wanted more post touches, in his own words.

3. Harden's beard

But you are stupid enough to believe that Howard is better offensive option than other players on this team, when the WAY he wants to play is not efficient at all, so giving more offensive possessions to Howard doesn't make sense, and he doesn't want to play pnr or other types of play, so what do you expect his teammates to do?

Dwight was the one alienating his teammates all year by showing poor effort on both ends of the court due to some trivial, selfish reason that only he sees as a problem. Guess you're not that bright after all if you can't see who was the real cancer and negative influence on this team, even after all these evidences came out.

We are not going to win a single championship with Dwight - with his terrible offense and declining defense - being our starting center, let alone our 2nd star. He was the one holding everyone else down this year, including Harden. Get that through your thick head.

4. Harden's beard

Where is the evidence that we don't throws lobs to Howard when there's a chance? you think defenders are just letting Howard have that kind of opportunity every single time? why isn't Deandre Jordan averaging 30 points a game if that was so easy to do? is CP3 ignoring Deandre and being selfish?

Stop derailing the conversation when this is ABOUT Dwight Howard. Howard did not adjust his mentality at all and wanted to post up. He complained to Morey about his lack of post touches and when got rejected, he admitted he became 'disinterested' in the game, meaning he purposefully did not exert 100% effort and mailed it in for the entire year.

Do you not understand how much of a catastrophic impact that could have on our team's morale, when one of your key players just blatantly gives up and acts like a selfish A-hole?

Dwight was not only a horrible basketball player this season, he was also a terrible leader and brought everyone else down with him. He sulked and cried when he didn't get as many post touches as he wanted, and just gave up trying on both ends of the court. Dwight Howard's shi**y attitude and influence was the main reason we sucked this year.

Dwight Howard was the cancer in both the locker room and on the court. He needs to go.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Guys, both Harden and Howard have their flaws, this is a fact, but Harden is the player you want to be bound with now since he's clearly the better player and still young enough to eventually polish his flaws. Dwight had his chance and he wasted it...all this talk is worthless at this point it, move on.

6. basketballholic

Agree with that. However in moving on we're going to have to deal with a player we don't want eating up $23 million of cap space unless something drastic happens to change the playing field over the next 2-4 weeks.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, and let's say he's opting in (as you know i think this has like 1% chance of happening but...), can we trade him the minute after does that or we cannot trade him for a given period?

1 person likes this.
  8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great point, D12 is not improving 1 iota on the offensive end, he's done trying. Great at community service though...

1 person likes this.
  9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Agreed, since Harden as been here he really hasn't had a true number 2.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I believe Howard will opt out. Howard can be traded immediately if he remains. If traded, the team that gets Howard will have his full bird rights to have the ability to offer him a 5 year deal. There will be plenty of teams with money this summer that strike out on FAs and some team will gladly take Howard into cap space if the Rockets go that route.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, a bunch of teams would take Howard for free.

The notion of being "stuck with him" is pretty stupid.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm of the belief that he is eroding what little market value he had with his recent comments/interviews. He's probably staring at a 3 year contract tops and one that doesn't even begin at $20 M.

I'm to the point where I wouldn't be shocked if he opts in trying to salvage his last contract by actually competing in this upcoming season.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets were phasing Howard out. And that is the trajectory, then it would be pointless for Howard to opt in to "salvage his last contract" since the Rockets are phasing him out.

Teams like Milwaukee and Charlotte will be interested in DH either in FA or in a trade.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i read a lot of good things about Dwight off the court, and in fact i like him, i just think it's time to move on, for both parts probably.

Same here, i don't see a single reason why he should opt in (except if like BBH says, he wants to screw us, but overall i just can't see this happening), but if he does, i don't think it'll be hard to trade him, in fact i think few team will also be ok to take him for at least a couple of second rounders.

Not sure dude...you don't think someone will throw him at least a 10x3? His agent is also looking for some money, so he will probably try to find a new team for Dwight.

15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Salvage as in the ability to maximize his salary threshold.

And who said the Rox were phasing Dwight out? We just want/ed to use him in an efficient manner that focused on rebounding/defense and scoring on movement.

Regardless of the franchise name - every team is going to want to do the same.

Do I think teams will offer 10x3? yes, easily. 20x3? I don't see it, but I'm shocked by contracts every year and thought he was a lock for a max until he admitted he slacked in a role that everyone will want of him.

If it's any less than 20x3 - I think he would benefit from showing full effort in maximizing that role and opting in to his 23M sitting on the table. He'll be able to get a 3 year deal next year too.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not if his body will break or at least continue to decline, it's just one single injury...he'll not risk that, we're talking about a 30 years old Dwight Howard.

And yeah, let's say he'll get no more than 10x5 (but he probably will), that's still more than the last year of the current contract, and keep in mind that he has a new agent now.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

15x3*

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What will be interesting is how much Howard gets in his next contract? I doubt he gets close to the max.

DD

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dwight's max with his years of service starts at 30M/per. So yeah, not close to max.

He is making 20/per now. So I would guess he would want something that at least starts at 20/per for multiple years.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What he wants and what he will get might not match up - all of his talking is hurting his leverage.

DD