1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darko goes gangster on FIBA Refs

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by weslinder, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Respectfully, I deal with a few Serbs from time to time, and I am very interested in Balkan history and I can honestly say that Serbs scare the crap out of me. Perhaps it is only that the people who strongly identify themselves as Serbians are fervent nationalistic wanna-be Chetniks, and I'm sure that there are some very nasty Croats and Bosniaks as well. But I also see a persistent history of things like The Black Hand comming from Serbia, though perhaps the frequency is just because they were so often frustrated in these sorts of endeavors.

And whenever I communicate with someone who was born and raised in Serbia, I am very careful and excessively gentile in how I say things because it is my personal experience that they are prone to outbursts of great violence and vehemence. That is my genuine experience.

2. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

man...i dont know what to tell you man. you must be dealing with the wrong crowd dude...chetniks are extremists. every country has taints on their history...hell croatians were on the wrong side of world war ii. my great uncle fought against the nazis in belgrade and i had familly members in concentration camps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/16/travel/16belgrade.html?ex=1287115200&en=4cd8ccf41a41542c&ei=5088

do you know what its like when you hear people talk this way about your people and in effect, yourself? replace 'serbs' with 'mexicans' in your quote and you get outrage. im not mad at you man as you were respectful about it, but come on dude. we all have our biases and stereotypes, im just asking people not to make all serbs seem like criminals and rapists, because most people on this messege board dont know anything about serbia. theyll read all this stuff and thats how racism and hate grows.

i immigrated to america due to conditions in my homeland in the 90s, and it sucks to be villified. im probably not going to change any of you all's opinions about it, but people in general shouldn't spew hate.

or else ill **** all of your mothers and daughters n :p

3. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

not to double post but i totally forgot to mention why i put that link there. its a ny times review of the younger scene in belgrade, which is where i was born. my country is redeveloping right now--were headed down the right track. read it if youre interesting--were not rapist barbarians.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Indeed, let's avoid stereotypes.

jello, did you come to America because we have vowels?

5. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

I dunno, man, you sound about right on that one... remember that Slobo was elected duly and freely and loved by many Serbs for what he did... There were rallies for him etc... Of course, jello is not the one to blame for anything, but it is not that uncommon for an entire nation to go insane for a decade or two... yeah, Germany, you know who I am talking about...

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

thank you this was the funniest thing i've read all day

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've watched the video several times now and still can't understand what the hell he is saying.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This is how it went....

Someone asked if rape was treated differently in Serb as it is here in US and I responded that, I don't know of things today but, just couple of years back, rape certainly was common, and used as one of the means of genocide by the Serbs.

I even provided two books which document a whole lot of this in detail. Roy Gutman is a Pulitzer winning journalist and he was there when all this was happening. It's a chilling account of human atrocity not far from Hitler's playground. These are just two books among several written by different authors.

From a critical point of view I either believe, you, a Serb, denying the accounts of rape or I believe what was printed in several books, and from well documented recent history (war crime trials, Milcovic, mass graves dug out etc. etc...).

Of course, this does not mean all Serbs are evil and crazed maniacs. This does not mean you and your family are either. But....

At the same time, if you and your family are good citizens, this does not acquit the Serbs from what they did back in 90s and it certainly does not change their history. You cannot use the premise that your family and the family is good so, none of it is true, and this could not have happened. It is good to know that young Serbs are changing, but they must acknowledge what their parents/grandparents have done just a short while ago, instead of denying it. Genocide is not be taken lightly.

I will not go any further than this since this is a Basketball forum. Perhaps in D&D....

Now that we are back to basketball...

Darko sucks. Ref's daughters might be the only way he is ever gonna score and finally be aggressive.

#48 Zboy, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  9. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Serbia is pretty racist. Just look at how they treated the england under 21 soccer team recently. That was a disgrace.

10. scola

scola Member

They won the 2002 World Championship thanks to the refs... they shouldn't complain.

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa, people.... calm down...CALM DOWN!!! I say.

Let's see the referee's daughters first before we pass judgment.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

DaDakota might let his wife go on a date with Spanoulis, no? :)

13. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

if it wasnt for the serbs europe would have been taken by the turks

And this is what the serbian players get now from italy?

of course one would feel deserved to have fun with the family of such man

14. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

What's the difference between what Darko said and people in this country using the word " mother****** "? How many times is mother****** said everyday? Do you think people are actually going to start ****ing the other guys' mothers?

Genocide happens because of many things, but someone saying absolute nonsense because he happens to be pissed after a basketball game is ridiculous.

By the way, how would someone be dead " figuratively " if that was said? Maybe you meant literally...and it was said in the third ward.

15. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

ROFL! :)

16. purplefever

purplefever Contributing Member

How do you figure? The Serbs were overrun by the Turks, and were under Turk (Ottoman) control for 400~ years... so it stands to reason that the next peoples - west of the Serbs - were the ones who "held Europe from the Turks". The Austro-Habsburgs, along with the Venetians, who controlled what is present day Croatia, allowed the Bosnia area to become a buffer zone of sorts with a Muslim population, etc...

The split between the Western (Catholic) and Eastern (Orthodox & Muslim) worlds always ran between what is now Croatia and Serbia - and might provide some background to those who wonder why the 2 sides could never get along.
    _____

I have to disagree - I think this one tops it:

#56 purplefever, Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  17. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Man...I don't know if you meant it or not...but you come across as an absolute arrogant ******* in this post.

18. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Ding ding ding...we have a winner. Some of you are taking this way too seriously. You can't translate words and assume that the meaning is the same in both languages. Plus, the stereotypes and generalizations in this thread are out of control.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i thought signing his signature in c*m on their lips was the best part. too bad that was made up.

good stuff anyways.

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

I think you forgot the part where he defended the Serbians that weren't part of the genocide/rape, then you, misunderstanding him, continued by unnecessarily saying you would take the word of two authors over his parents. If you had realized what he had said this whole thing would have been avoided. Him saying not all Serbs are rapists/murderers is like saying not all Germans were Nazis. It is kind of obvious.