1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House is playing a dangerous game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Did Emmitt Smith write this post? Jesus.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The analogy is off brother. The analogy is: what would make someone agree to a 3 years contract which you can't resign from at the lowest salary in the whole industry in an industry where you can only work 10 more years at best?

mike2k132 likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

See if he exhibited a future James Harden, he would be betting on himself to make big money. But there is nuance involved. He is not wrong to bet on himself to make the minimum and then incrementally more (1 million or 2 more per season) after that. It's not a huge bet. It's a fair one. I'm defending House decision because I believe he has laid out a good path for him AND the Rockets. It's the Rockets who are betting on a dream scenario. 3 years at the minimum for the organization is a dream scenario. I would not be unhappy if it happens. But I think that's a bad risk unlikely to pan out, and there is an option on the table right now which benefits the players I watch on the floor: minimum for rest of season, match a market offer in the summer.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

And Marquesse Chriss was starting for Phoenix. That's all in the past with a dumb organization.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We had Tucker, Ariza, LMM. Green joined later, but he's not an NBA player for a contender.

The dream scenario is some idiot offers him the room exception for 2 years to see if the Rockets value him at that number.

Competitors always bet on themselves. They quit often, every 2 years roughly. Ask an HR person about how this trend is increasing dramatically too.

House has not failed. His sample size is small because he was forcefully shelved. This is not the same as a guy who has a small sample size and then loses his rotation spot due to a bad streak or poor practice habits. Someone in the market will know, the Rockets were afraid to put him on the open market as an RFA. They Rockets have said themselves they want this 3 year minimum to recoup what they've invested in him - which is an admission his production if worth more than the minimum (because it subtracts their "investment").

Teams will be interested in House because there are less wings than there are roster spots for them. Right now, we need one and we're past the deadline, and our organization alleges to want to win the title. There are many teams like us.

I guess I don't know about you, but I would bet on myself 100%. That's what a competitor does, especially one who nailed his last opportunity publicly and then was literally forced to stop performing in order to strong arm him into a low ball deal.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  6. Chamillionaire

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

8. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

when will he call Morey to say sorry and accept the low salary offer

9. acjeitherocket

welp...sucks for him. he gambled and it looks like he is going to lose his bet.

BigShasta and roslolian like this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

No reason to convert him for one season. Morey would just spite him by not giving him any money.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Honestly I’m not mad at House. Why couldn’t he get a one year min offer this offseason?

Thus getting to FA a year sooner. Seems like a reasonable calculation.

On the Rockets side they are telling him: play 3 years with Harden and you will get millions more than playing on some other random team.

fckbandwagons and raining threes like this.
  12. raining threes

Bet on yourself all you want.

Playing chicken with Morey usually doesn't work out well.

roslolian and fckbandwagons like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As I said when he first left us, I get it and I ain't mad at House. But I think he made the wrong decision for himself.

We'll see. It could get better for him soon, but I don't see any team giving an unproven 27 year old a deal that was much better than what we gave him. Plus, our deal would have given him minutes plus big-stage exposure.

14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol how much u wanna bet. Its crazy people dont even know what his bet his n they try to analyze if he lost lol. Bro his bet is that his next contract is bigger then the one the rockets offered him. That's it. Whenever he signs it. If its bigger he won. This guy probably only has 5 more years left in the nba. If I'm him my bet is to get the biggest contract for my family that's all. Why cant people see this.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats crazy is he has already been cut from 2 teams and he still thinks he can play chicken with his third team lol.

His bet is wrong because as Bima puts it, the Rox already have their claws on him they just want to know if he is gonna play nice or not. If he isn't then they make him a 2 way and just convert him at the at the end of the season. That pays him 200k usd as a 2 way player (+8k usd as vet min for the rest of the season) instead of the 1M he would have gotten. Then they give him a QO making him RFA next year if somebody gives him an offer. If not, then he can continue to be a 2 way player next year and the year after etc. basically if he doesn't attract interest from other teams he would be making 200k usd as a two way player instead of the 1M+ a year he would have gotten had he signed the deal.

Thats not a good way to bet on yourself imho.

BigShasta and DavidRocket like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Right. So you quit your job every two years because you bet on yourself?

You are correct I don't know anything about you. In my area people who are shown to leave their jobs every two freaking years because they wanna bet on themselves every time are known as flight risks and are not given executive levels and above. Just in the interview your HR rep is gonna ask you why you keep switching companies and if you tell him/her you keep betting on yourself because you are a competitor I would be surprised if you get the job lol.

I really disagree with you in saying there are less wings then there are rotation spots in the NBA there are 7 Billion people in the planet there are only 400-500 NBA players c'mon bro. I'm not arguing House is not worth the min because he could be, I'm saying there are lots of players in the world who can also average 9 ppg in the same situation House did. Your fixation with him is pretty entertaining tbh. Green is not an NBA player according to you but his production has been very similar to House what does that make House then? LOL

DavidRocket likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree he should take the money and run if the 3 year guaranteed deal is still on the table.

Vivi and cbs1507 like this.
  18. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

g league statistics does not have references value, but he is tall and good for guard durrant

19. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

My takeaway from that vid was 2 for 10 from 3

Little Bit likes this.
  20. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

My takeaway is a persistent attacker of the basket, that he's willing to take (and make) big shots in crunch time, and he knocked down 3 FTs in clutch to seal the game.

#140 cbs1507, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019