1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House is playing a dangerous game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just a reminder that we signed Melo this year......which was a disaster.

DD

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Certainly a valid point. My thing is...if we agree that Harden is the primary reason House excelled, and that he's a replaceable player, I am partial to the idea of just converting him, hoping for the best this season, and then being ok letting him get overpaid elsewhere this off-season.

Once again...totally get the idea of not going that route, but I guess I just want to give Harden as good of a shot as possible this season. I don't see the point of going "all-in" by squandering assets on a known mediocre player in Iman Shumpert, and then turning around and just letting House sit on the bench this season. I'd take the risk at this point, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

1) Depth has been an issue but is no longer. Especially with pending signings
    2) I think House could be over Rivers in the rotation but definitely not Shumpert. Rockets have been after him for years.

I mean we have limitations #ThanksTillman but that hasn’t stopped Morey from putting together a great team. Even with more money I’m not sure we would have a better team.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Depth is not an issue anymore? We sure? What evidence has there been in his career to point to Shumpert being more impactful than House? Rivers has been terrible for weeks. Shumpert has been mediocre his whole career. Chris Paul is always an injury-risk. PJ Tucker has forgotten how to play offense. Gordon's having the worst year of his career. Gerald Green is not close to the defender House is.

I'm not saying we're beyond screwed, but not sure how anybody can think the Rockets are some depth-laden team at this point in time. They are playing multiple guys who are contributing well under their expectations. House could easily step in and, if he played like he was playing during that stretch he had, would easily be in the regular rotation, and likely starting.

#204 J Sizzle, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    slothy420, Gray_Jay, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You need to re-sign House If you are serious about winning. It was only for 12 games, but he was an absolute diamond in the rough at SF for this team. A 25 year old, 6-7, jacked shooter that was not afraid to defend and attack the basket. He had instant chemistry with James.

It is super painful (For both sides) that he isn’t starting with PJ right now, because I absolutely despise this tiny starting lineup that Mike is throwing out there. Mr. 2 rebounds a game isn’t cutting it at Forward.

Gray_Jay and dfbreyes like this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If he consistently plays like he did, he is 100% a 30+ minute starter here, IMO.

46% from the field, 39% from three. Stepback threes, dunks, passes, rebounds, defense, etc. All-around player happily feasting off Harden double teams.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

people have to remember house had just as many duds as any of the other many role players. he wasn't amazing in every single game. he was solid in a number of them but was also bad in many of them. people want to pain this picture that he was just this every game contributor. in reality he wasn't. he's a hometown kid story just like green that many want to cheer for and gravitate towards.

Vivi, roslolian and biff17 like this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

House is more valuable than Rivers or Shumpert?

WHAT?

roslolian likes this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

The evidence is that Shumpert was a starter on a championship team and multiple Final teams, while House was cut by the Phoenix suns.

Vivi and roslolian like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

House and Shumpert will also be over Green in the rotation. But the main thing is we need injury protection *AND* a future trade asset. House is the only one of Rivers, Faried, Green and Shumpert (and Morris) who won't be an expiring contract...assuming we can sign him.

Don't forget the large hole we have in future trade assets:
    • zero draft picks this year,
    • no Cash to buy picks
    • no Melton,
    • no Knight/Anderson expiring,
    • no more 2nds until Patitta inherits the team.
    We must sign House for future trades and play, and increase his trade value rest of season and with playoff exposure.

Considering Rivers and Shumpert can bolt this summer (Rivers bc we get outbid ala Luc, Shump bc tax savings ala Ariza), House could easily become far more valuable next year as a Trade Asset, when all our expirings (except Green) bolt.

• One (if not 2 or 3) of these will bolt this summer
      • Rivers
      • Faried
      • Shump
      • Green
      • Morris
      • And we have zero draft picks (see above list)
    • We can lock up House, and playoff exposure will increase his trade value.

Don't look a gift House in the mouth.

[​IMG]

#210 heypartner, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Mathloom, justtxyank and Deuce like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup, House's value to the Rockets as an "asset" is very important. To me, he basically acts as a de-facto "late 1st round pick."

Rockets need to restock the crops. Clark, House, Hartenstein. I haven't seen anything from Edwards that says he has potential unfortunately.

Rockets need to double down on their "scouting" to be able to find some "undrafted gems" next season to restock the crops.

heypartner, RudyTBag and DaDakota like this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

That's a whole lot of maybe concerning House.

But I will play along, what do you Think House could bring you back as a trade asset?

also you forget the fact that we could replace those guys the same way we got them this year on the buy out market.

I want House to sign with the team I think he is an intriguing prospect but this idea he is some integral piece is a bit much.

13. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Exactly. Rockets need DHouse. In the brief period he's been with the Rockets, he's proven he can play. That he can play well and start even.

DMorey -- Doo eet naauu!

14. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

House needs to come back so we can move EG back to the bench.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I don’t remember House being “bad in many games” at all.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you don't want to call it bad, he certainly wasn't good in many games. but he's held to a different standard bc it just goes back to the hometown kid story that's easy to root for

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

List the maybes. There are no maybes there. It's all fact.
    • FACT: he's better trade value than any player we draft last year and this year. (bc we have none)
    • FACT: he's better trade value than any player who bolts this summer
    • FACT: we have 3 expirings this summer to fit into 1 mini-MLE
    • FACT: we have 2 expirings with sufficient Bird rights, but lost both those last summer for tax savings
    What Maybe's are you talking about?

Is that you Morey?

We need a real trade, not a revolving door of NBA cast-offs. This is Harden's Prime.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Seemed exceptionally solid and consistent to me. When he wasn’t shooting well (which was rare) he brought size and defense. Never made any bonehead plays, never shot you out of a game. For a small 12 game stretch he looked like a rock solid starting NBA SF, no?

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is such a big joke now you have people claiming House is better than Shumpert or Rivers wtf.

House is a 9 ppg player playing 28 mins next to James Harden. He is a 2x cut player on a 2 way deal before. What am I missing here?

He isn't better than Shumpert abd he has 0 trade value! Why tf would teams trade for him guys like him are available every draft. 9 ppg playing alongside James Harden is supposed to be a major accomplishment or what?

20. biff17

biff17 Member

How is it a fact that he has ANY trade value?

There is also the fact that we still have rights to House through next season of he is this great trade asset we can sign and trade him.

Vivi and roslolian like this.