1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel house IS Overrated here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ok. The future is now. How does House being a restricted free agent affect our title run this season? Our chances NOW?

2. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Say what you want but I never hated on House and of course wanted him playing for us but we were winning and I'm sure there is a plan...not having the repeaters tax is a big win in years to come

Also having 5-6 threads on a guy for the 5th or 6th most important guy on the team is making him a little overrated don't you think?

It's like the Warriors saying they would have easily handled us with AI, these role players guys are important yes I agree with that but if your 5th or 6th most important guy is what breaks your season then you have other problems.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

You specifically stated people were making him out to be superstar, which nobody is doing. You're exaggerating so that you can backpeddle on what you said in your previous post. Strawman fallacy.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The whole "looking good one only because of Harden" thing only make sense to idiots who ignore how the likes of MCW, Enn15 and Shump3rt look next to Harden

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

We don't have a bigger MLE - if we used the $8 MM MLE next summer, we'd be hard-capped for 2019-2020. With Harden's extension kicking in, we'd easily exceed that hard cap.

The benefits of not paying House now are 1) we avoid the repeater tax for at least 3 years, and 2) luxury tax savings this year

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

I don't know who mentioned this small sample size argument, I don't think it's even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.

Von Wafer and DMo also had way more of a sample size, much larger than House and didn't pan out. But their styles are totally different.

Von Wafer's role was attacking the rim off the bench. If he ever loses his attention span or athleticism, he wouldn't be worth much, and he did both. I don't think people ever had the illusion Von Wafer was going to last long in the league anyway, no matter how much we wanted him to.

DMo was injured a lot, played a dangerous game in RFA, then got caught up in physical. If he ever got healthy, and went to the right org, I think he could've still played in the league. At the end, he isn't a nobody. He just had problems.

House as a player is totally different. He doesn't rely on athleticism, he isn't an injury-prone big man unicorn. He's just a smart role player who can hit 3s, finish some layups at the rim, and defend his position and the perimeter. If you're efficient at that, you deserve a hefty salary and role somewhere. I don't see how he can STOP doing that in some other samples when he's playing for the Rockets, unless he gets a catastrophic injury, which he's not prone to anyway.

Hakeemtheking and Zoplicone like this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ok then I don’t understand how it works. I thought this summer we have $8 million to offer as a mid level. And had we not gotten beneath the tax line that the most we could offer as a mid level is $5 million.

Is this false? And which part? Do we not have $8 million to spend this summer?

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if this is true that is ridiculous and very upsetting

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Eh, I stand by what I said (shown below for reference). My "criticism" was that I asked the question "maybe his actual shooting ability isn't quite what we saw earlier this year?"

So far he has shown he can be a great shooter for us, but tbh I'm still not at the point where I'm comfortable saying he definitely is a great shooter for us and will continue to be.

I think House gets overrated here because he shot the ball from 3 so well: 39% in 25 games played

Last year in Phoenix he only shot 26% in 23 games played.

This year in the G League he's shooting only 28% from 3 and 41% overall.

Overall his G League career has him as a pretty efficient scorer so he is no slouch, but maybe his actual shooting ability isn't quite what we saw earlier this year?

HP3 likes this.
  10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I just don’t understand how someone playing at this level wasn’t basically Lebron in the shitty Gleague. How was he not averaging 30+ and slashing like 60/40/80?

He is doing the opposite of what usually happens. Better NBA shooting stats than Gleague. So weird.

Johnbutte and HP3 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes...he does rely on athleticism. Dantoni's words "he's another athletic body." And yes sample size matters no matter what. 10 games is 10 games, its not enough information.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

=
    Ennis did look good next to Harden on offense. This is nonsense. Comparing House to bottom tier players is what you wanna do, go ahead. Also yall need to give Shumpert a break, let's give him a bit more games.

13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Using the non-taxpayer MLE hard caps you in the year that you use it. The fact that we are under the luxury tax this year is irrelevant to the MLE available to us in 2019-20.

In theory, we could use the non-taxpayer MLE this summer. But that would hard cap us at ~$130 MM. We already have $122 MM in committed salaries next year, and that's with only 8 people on the roster.

I'm sure there is a route to get under the margins and use the non-taxpayer MLE (trade Gordon, Tucker, Nene), but I don't think the team would be better off for it, and we'd have little flexibility to improve the team later in the year. And we all know how much Morey loves flexibility.

[​IMG]

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Playing with Harden helps, there's no doubt about it. Harden and Paul make him way better. But he is proving up to the task. He's doing what we ask our SF's to do. He's giving Ariza-esque production and that's all you can ask for.

I'm happy this dude is going to cash in this offseason, but it'll hurt if he goes elsewhere. He is exactly what we look for in a SF.

15. s3ts

s3ts Member

It's not 10 games, he's played in 28 games this season, 23 games as a Phoenix Sun last season as well.

Yeah, 28 games is 28 games. Whether that's enough information or not can be subjective. I'm arguing that his style of play doesn't rely solely on athleticism.

Quoting D'Antoni doesn't disprove my point. Yes, he is athletic, but that only says that he can play with athleticism. Does he? From the highlights I've watched of him this season, a lot of his game is at the 3 pt line or a layup drive, with very conservative athleticism.

I liken him to a poor man's Ariza. Ariza can dunk, and he can be athletic. He chooses not to be.

HP3 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is pretty simple really, in the G-league he is asked to do more with the ball, at the NBA level he is a catch and shoot player, he fits because he is perfect at that, and can attack the basket.

As Harden and CP3 draw so much attention it allows players that are deficient in other areas to shine if they fit that role on the team.

House fits it to a T.

DD

clos4life likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well i was responding to someone claiming this isn’t because of Harden making his life easier.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

23 games and getting cut by the suns should give anyone pause no matter who they are. Okay fine, 28 games, still not enough for me, like you said it
    can be subjective.

He's had alot of athletic plays this season, Im not trying to be a jerk but im not sure what you are talking about. Besides the catch and shoot thres 3s he plays very athletically. Doing layup drives like he does requires a very good amount of athleticism.

I mean, Ariza in his younger days was very athletic.

How do you explain Hartenstein is who was pretty much dominating over there. Im not saying this isnt good reasoning but like Ive said time and time again when dude gets cut from multiple teams and doesnt make the roster of the suns(AND us), there is always room for pause.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Please link a post where someone made House into a star.

There should be plenty examples.....

20. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

I was referring to the 5-6 threads about House which made it seem that way - sorry haha

I now have learn not to say anything other than positive things about House :D

The only acceptable people are Morey, MDA, Shumpert anyone else?

HP3 likes this.