1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni to Bulls? Avery to Knicks? Carlisle to Mavs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IROC it, May 7, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Is the coaching carousel about to stop?

-----

Mike D'Antoni makes Bull run; Donnie Walsh meets with Avery Johnson

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...mike_dantoni_makes_bull_run_donnie_walsh.html

By MITCH LAWRENCE
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 11:20 PM

Mike D’Antoni appears to be headed to Chicago, not the Knicks.

After interviewing with Knicks president Donnie Walsh in the Phoenix area on Monday, D'Antoni reportedly is headed to Chicago to succeed Scott Skiles as soon as the two sides can agree on a contract, according to NBA sources.

Walsh traveled from Arizona to the Houston area Tuesday and met with former Mavs coach Avery Johnson to continue his "due-diligence tour." But Jackson is still regarded as the overwhelming favorite to replace Isiah Thomas.

Before Walsh talked to D'Antoni, the Bulls interviewed him on Sunday, apparently coming away thinking that his prolific offensive system will be a good fit for Luol Deng, Ben Gordon and other players who underachieved this season.

D'Antoni, meanwhile, has told associates that he is confident that he can be successful with the Bulls' roster. For the players, his upbeat personality will also be a radical change from Skiles' stern taskmaster approach. The only hang-up involves D'Antoni getting the money he wants. The Bulls may have to end up paying more for a coach than they care to, as they are still paying Skiles around $6million.

Due to philosophical differences, the Suns will happily let D'Antoni go so that they can get out from under the final $8.5million on his contract. The Suns wanted D'Antoni to incorporate more defense in his coaching. D'Antoni, in turn, was upset that owner Robert Sarver and president Steve Kerr tried to tell him how to coach the team after he had averaged 57 wins the past four seasons.

In Dallas, Johnson emphasized the kind of defense that Walsh wants the Knicks to play next season. Johnson's college coach, Ben Jobe, is close to Walsh, and Walsh decided from the start that although he targeted Jackson to be his coach, he would take his time and consider all other candidates.

With the Suns looking to change to a more conventional way of playing, Johnson's name continues to be linked to Phoenix. Although he comes off two straight first-round playoff ousters, he is seen as one of the top coaches available. Kerr and Johnson played together in San Antonio for three seasons, including the Spurs' first title season in 1999.

Rick Carlisle, who talked to Walsh about the Knicks' job and formerly coached under Walsh in Indiana, has been in talks since last Thursday with the Mavs.
    He is expected to succeed Johnson.

Walsh could prolong his "search" by waiting to interview Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau. The former Knicks assistant tops Walsh's list of assistant coaches who might be ready to make the jump to the head chair.

Although Celtics coach Doc Rivers doesn't have a problem with Thibodeau using an off-day in the playoff schedule to interview for the Knicks job, Rivers' bosses reportedly don't want Thibodeau to interview until after their season is over. The Celtics started their second-round series against Cleveland last night and could be playing for another five weeks.

----

What on earth are the Knicks enamored with Mark Jackson for anyway?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Mark Jackson to Knicks seems more likely. I think Avery might end up in Atlanta.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

4. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

With Billy Knight stepping down, I doubt Woodson gets the axe in ATL. I think Avery will end up in NY. As a previous poster said, why is NY so enamored in Mark Jackson? I'd rather have Bill Walton or Jon Barry take his spot next to JVG and Breen.

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

I'd rather see Thibodeaux get his chance with the Knicks.

6. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Man, if I was any of those coaches, I wouldn't touch the Knicks with a stick. Not sure that team is fixable...

7. LFE171

LFE171 Member

You make a really good point. That team just screams "plagued". NOW at least.

But look at it from another point of view. If you can shell out 40 wins (VERY doable with this squad) then you keep your job for year 1. Year 2, I believe they will let Marbury walk, which frees up 20mm to allow them to sign some marginal help and save for the next year where they could make some SERIOUS noise in free agency in year 3.

Year 3 which is 2010-2011, the knicks would have their salary at 28MM. That's before extending your group of young-ins + MLE's for the next 2 years. So after that, lets just say theyre at 40MM. You can still sign another MLE, a max, use your LLE, etc. And by then, if Avery is coaching, I'm sure they would have a "no nonsense" mentality in that lockeroom that could cultivate the winning culture they are sorely lacking.

And look at the expiring contracts AFTER that season. Can we say, valuable trade bait in Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph? Very enticing for teams in tank mode who want to unload the little talent they have for these two scrubs that will come off their books.

And honestly, I'm willing to bet good money the knicks will have more success next season then they've had since JVG left. Whoever they sign, Jackson, Avery, your highschool coach, etc could coach better than Isiah.

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Hmmm and some notables who are FA's in 2010-2011:

The hosses of the 03' class if they opt out to get 20+MM (lebron, dwayde, cb4)

Joe Johnson
    CP3
    T-mac (lol)

and others im too lazy to look up. knicks got promise since all their monster salaries are goin down the drain by then.

9. FFz

FFz Member

GOOO TOM THIBEADUEUX!!! I can't spell his name for ****, but this man knows how to coach!

10. JD2010

JD2010 Member

phoenix should talk to thibbideaux or however you spell it

the wizards messed up last off season
    imagine how much better they would have been with his defense

i wonder what happened that made him change his mind about the wizards.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Hahahah Rick Carlisle to Dallas - that would be damn interesting

12. JD2010

JD2010 Member

didnt he have a 60 win season with the pacers in 03-04?

13. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

AJ lives in the area?

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Woodlands

15. The Joker

The Joker Member

Avery to the Hawks? Would they really fire Woodson after the playoffs they just had and without his oppurtunity to have Bibby a full year?

D'Antoni to the Bulls i think would be perfect fit for them. Guys like Deng and Hinrich would thrive with D'Antoni i think. I couldn't care less about Dallas.

And as for Avery, I think he has shown flashes of being a good coach, but has made some seriously questionable decisions in the playoffs. However, I don't think his Dallas stint is good to judge him on just yet. He'll get a job quick. Him in Phx would be interesting...

16. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

17. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Would you, as a young coach who aspires to be a head coach someday, take on the Knicks? It's pretty much a career suicide, imo.