1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni shorter rotation vs Spurs historically in NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, May 9, 2017.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Tonight MDA is planning to use 7-man rotation vs San Antonio and only fatigue and foul trouble could possibly change it.

We all know that MDA was burned to ashes by Popovich last decade in playoffs by basically wearing his team down, but he only went four times for 7-man rotation vs Spurs and he went for 6-man rotation just once.

First time: Blow-out win

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200705080PHO.html

Second time: Loss

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200705120SAS.html

Third time: Away win

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200705140SAS

Fourth time: A brutal home loss with his leaders struggling badly (it was actually a 6-man rotation)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200705160PHO.html

Fifth time: Loss, that got him fired

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200804290SAS.html

He was 2-3 with 6 or 7-man rotation and 1-5 with regular playoff 8-man rotation vs Spurs as Suns head coach. Doesn't sound as desperate as it might look

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Where is your source for confirming a 7man rotation?

3. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Daddy Long Legs and BigMaloe like this.
  4. bigred77

bigred77 Member

I think Dekker is gonna get more PT tonight than anyone is expecting

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

That's just stubborn. Dekker at least should get some minutes to spell others. Maybe even Harrell here and there. If he really goes with a 7-man rotation tonight..that'll be very frustrating because even if they win, he will be wearing out the players to put up a fight in the next round. Not to mention we still have to win a game 6 as well.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I guarantee you that if you put better + more experienced players on the team, the rotation would be expanded. But this isn't something exclusive to D'Antoni. Hell, Adelman was scared to play Brooks until he was forced to.

7. BigMaloe

I agree with @The Cat that we probably see a 7 and a half man rotation tonight. I expect some minutes from dekker but not a lot, hence the half.

8. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

You can't play both Sam and Ryno at the same time and Trez is simply unplayable in this series because of his lack of defense, rebounding and range, so Mike makes it's pretty clear by inserting Eric to the starting lineup. Especially if you look on Ryno's scoring efficiency in away games this year (46% FG and 46% on threes in regular season and 52.5% FG and 44% on threes in playoffs). He will wear him down and he would try to compensate things with great floor-spacing

We're doomed in a slow half-court game anyway in this series

9. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

The pragmatic objective is to reach the Western Conference Finals.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

How is Dekker unplayable at this point? What could possibly go wrong with playing Dekker some minutes...honest question. Harrell, I personally wouldn't mind seeing out there, but many on here have stated his defense is a liability so whatever. But I think Dekker is certainly serviceable with a small lineup.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't understand how losing your backup center means you move your starting PF to the bench and move your sixth man sparkplug to the starting lineup.

I do not remember a ton of good feelings from when Gordon was put into the starting lineup mid season due to injury. He just doesn't play as well in that role... for obvious reasons.

MDA must really hate/not trust Harrell ... which is kind of weird cause when Clint was injured Harrell played decent enough as a starting center.

I'm not sold on this adjustment at all... but I'm not the coach.

12. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

And it is my opinion that that objective can be achieved by playing Dekker and/or Harrell some minutes. I don't think it would hurt as much as many estimate it would.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Dekker will play, for what it's worth. But if he's not looking great he might get pulled quick. All the refs have to do is get ONE guy in foul trouble though and it's BALLGAME...

jump shooter and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yeah we will see. I'm definitely more confident on relying on Gordon off the bench than Lou.

15. bigred77

bigred77 Member

This is where I'm curious to see what the Rockets do. Rockets HAVE to push the pace. Ryno is going to place most of his minutes tonight at center which means you either keep Ariza at the 4 the whole time he's on the floor or you match Ariza's minutes to Kawhi's. I think they have to let Dekker and Ryno play together and see how it works out.

I thought Dekker had some good minutes in the 2nd quarter last game. He just has to play as active as possible and if he can make a couple of 3s (he will definitely be open) then I think we're in good shape.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm perfectly ok with it. If we had more capable players, then I would question Mike AntoniO

Heck I don't want to see Samuel scrubby Dekker out there in a playoff game unless it's a blowout or we have had a serious injury. Unfortunately, he will get some playing time because of Nene's injury

17. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I think at some point in the playoffs, fresh legs trump a lot of things. Ariza can "not look great" as we've seen as well...for almost the entire game at times. Dekker should be given (in my opinion) time to play through it...even in a game 5. If it means giving other key rotation players some rest......that's invaluable.

All I'm saying is if they end up losing because they are fatigued as a direct derivative of a 7-man rotation...then that's on D'Antoni. It's inexcusable. Your best players are no good if they're tired.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Is Dekker's defense that bad? I mean is pretty athletic on the offensive end....can hit the 3 (if he's on) and plays passable defense and can hustle for rebounds. Why can't he play with Ryno?

19. BigMaloe

Yeah I didnt understand the lineup change until I started thinking about substitutions.

If you recall Ryan and capela both get subbed at the same time half way through the 1st for NeNe and Gordon typically.

So what I'm assuming now will be Ryan in for capela and Lou in for Gordon at the halfway mark.

da_juice likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

Youcan't play them both because the idea of Ryan at the5 is to have ultimate space with 5 shooters. The spurs would cheat off dekker, ala Roberson, and force him to beat you. Not an ideal situation.

I think dekker will get some minutes at the 3/4 when Ryan rests and ariza needs rest.