1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni on Hayes-Stoudemire: "I think Amar'e only scored 25 that game"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

I think he only scored 23 pts and getting stripped 5 billion times :$

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

HA! Actually I hadn't read Morey's twitter. Lord I love when he and I agree :) makes me feel much smarter than I actually am.

3. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

What does it say about amare that he can overcome the Rockets' main defensive strength and his team still can't score 90? It means he's not a good team player, which is why the Knicks are barely above .500 in the east.

Or it means he didn't really overcome Chuck Hayes and he had a horrible offensive game.

4. Zfan

Zfan Member

This Mike D'what thought he was really a newyorker. He simply forgot he's just a tempory coach of a team with wannabe something history.
    The biggest achievement of his coaching career was luck. Lucky enough to have Steve Nash running every play. He will never be a good coach until he knows why a classic role player like Chuck earns respect more than him.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Or.....it means he plays on the lousy Knickerbockers.

6. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

scoring 25 on 50% is bad? man, i wish we had more bad players on our team when our leading scorer was 30% for 21

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes. When you add up all the turnovers (lost possessions), and then you add to that the fact that Hayes defended him one on one, allowing Battier and the gang to clamp down on the perimeter guys and cause them to shoot crazy bad, it was a huge defensive win against Amare.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If it was Van Gundy who replied that to defend his player, everyone would lap it up.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...JCDenton logs onto his troll account to try to ruffle some feathers...

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Not bad, but he didn't have a night that would get them many wins:

The scoring was fine, but 5 boards, 1 block, and 5 TOs would qualify as bad.

Season avgs
    26-9, w/2.3 blocks, and 3.6 TOs (last month it was 30-10)

He was held down, at least somewhat.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People like you illustrate how idiotic it can be to evaluate player performance with traditional stats like points total and FG%.

Yes, you can have "bad" scoring games when you score 25 pts on 50% fg%. This happens when you don't go to the line a lot and turns the ball over a ton and did so against mostly single coverage withour forcing the other team to rotate and create openings for teammates. As a result, you used about 29 possessions to score these 25 points and your team has a horrible offensive night.

1 person likes this.
  12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you can never stop a great offensive player, which amare is. hayes didn't stop him at all, but he made him work and slowed him down in stretches.

and if a player can do that to an elite offensive player, then it's a great job.

let's not go overboard and call hayes an amare stopper b/c he can't. but he does as great of a job as anyone in the L at making amare work.

13. conquistador#11

An honest question, not being a smart arse, but why aren't they(media & fans)more critical of Amare for playing matador defense all the time? He is just as bad as Kmart.
    the only reason amare gets rebounds is because he is closest to the basket. The only one I remember getting on him for being a zero on D was Van Gundy on the broadcast. Some writers have amare as an mvp candidate <insert rolling eyes.

14. t_mac1

b/c amare is the leader on his team.

and the media does go at amare for his defense, where have you been for the past 5 years?

15. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

Can someone fill me in on why he's being called Pringles? Sounds hilarious,but I'm not sure why. :confused:

16. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

google a picture of Dantoni

17. conquistador#11

Nah, I think it's more because it's new york and they have a winning record. If WE had the same record would they consider Martin an MVP candidate? of course not. They would say all martin does is score and he doesn't play any D. New York state of bias all the way.

18. t_mac1

amare rebounds and block shots also. and he's the clear leader on that team.

if we had a winning record, marti would get more national exposure, but we all know he has nowhere the impact amare does on the knicks.

19. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

If the Knicks were in the west they'd have a worse record than us lol. And that's with being perfectly healthy compared to the Rockets. You and the media should stop kidding yourselves :)

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

People might look at Amare's stats and think he had a pretty good offensive game. 25 points, 11-21 from the field. What's the big deal about the job Chuck Hayes did on him?

I just watched the game again, and took note of each play where Amare went up against Chuck Hayes. I counted 29 of them, and he only scored 23 points. That is extremely inefficient. Chuck had 5 strips that results in turnovers (2 of them were counted as blocked shots officially), he drew a charge on him, and a travel as well. He also had numerous deflections that went out of bounds. To use Bill Worrell's words, he totally befuddled Amare -- particularly in that 4th quarter.

Amare did have relatively decent success against Chuck in the first half -- 13 points on 14 plays.