1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni needs to be called out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketMAD, Dec 31, 2018.

1. bongman

bongman Member

Yet again, we win.
    It must be so difficult for you to watch the game when the the coach doesn't do what you ask from him.

candlegreen, HP3 and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Welp, he is responsible for CP's injury imo. Remember last year with Luc? He came back from injury & got hurt right before the playoffs when MDA played him in a meaningless game. He's a great coach but doesn't know when to scale it back

BasketMAD likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how do you figure?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

MDA wants to win. He will scale it back when Morey provides players "worthy of being able to scale it back AND good enough to win games."

Not there yet.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Not having three rotation players right now factors into this, right?

candlegreen likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thread title should be changed to D'Antoni needs to be commended

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

yer right... but most on here wont hear of it...

I believe most on here either hero worship and believe someone is great and beyond reproach - or believe someone is a totally worthless scrub... seldom is there middle ground...

Rose colored glasses, homerism, whatever you want to call it... nothing is wrong until something totally blows up in our faces... then all hell breaks loose...

Then there's the 'fanboys' where they dont care about developing talent and a balanced attack... as long as Harden is putting up great numbers - then everything is hunky dory....

Some just cling to their statistical analysis as a replacement for actually winning a championship... but i've yet to see a parade for offensive efficiency... plus for all the statistical accolades, we've yet to win it all... and instead of saying 'we've been so great - what adjustments to we need to get us over the hump,,,' it's 'we've been so great - lets keep doing this... it'll surely work out next time...' lol

Idk how many seasons need to end with Harden running out of gas or injuries derailing our season before people (and MDA) start looking at things on a long term basis... smh...

#67 kjayp, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  8. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

It's like you guys don't understand simple things or the history of your star? It's a fact that Harden disappears in pivotal playoff games, and his 3pt shooting percentage is drastically worse in the Playoffs, so don't even try to deny that. You don't think that's a symptom of fatigue? Really??

9. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Yup, a lot of these homers are very short-sighted and have a serious case memory loss. "Hey, guys, it's not like Harden has a history of getting worn out in the Playoffs. It's not like D'Antoni has ever struggled with healthy rotations in the Playoffs! So, let's just have fun while he's scoring 40+ every night and playing 40 minutes in a blowout because we're getting wins, and we only think short-term!"

BeBreezy and kjayp like this.
  10. bongman

bongman Member

So what happens if we win a championship with harden p!aying 40 minutes, does that blow up in the faces of the folks predicting doom? Will you lose posting privileges or people gang up on them? Most likely not.

You have taken a position where the odds are in your favor because winning a championship is difficult. All that needs to happen is for us not to win a ring and your validated. Let's ignore that he has the least amount of superstars to work with and surrounded by players who are waived. Do you even factor that in?

I don't know where you are getting the idea that folks want him to play more minutes for stats as i think that is all in your mind.

candlegreen and rgw20014life like this.
  11. bongman

bongman Member

I don't know of anybody who disagrees with this premise so I am confused why you're making this a point.

The disagreement is with the cause of the high usage rate. If I understand your position, you are saying because MDA then period. Either MDA is so stupid that he can't grasp this simple concept OR there are variables involved which forces his decision to play him more.

Which one is more likely?

fattz likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Hey man, I couldnt be happier if we did win it all... If we do it while riding harden into the ground for 40 mins a night I will shocked - but happy none the less....

As I always say... if we play smart hard team basketball - I'm a happy guy... I even found enjoyment in the Scola/Sura/Landry/treadmill of mediocrity era... we didnt have the talent - but we had a scrappy team that worked hard - I was proud of them...

Now we have the talent (even if some people wanna cry about what they've been calling our 'scrubby bench' - thats the offset of superstar contracts.... you have to develop guys and utilize their limited potentials). Now we just have to be smart and give consistent effort....

Long rotations, rest guys, limit minutes... I firmly believe that if we simply make the playoffs rested and healthy - we can win it all... if we limp in tired and banged up - we're dead in the water...

Regarding the 'fan boys'... you know there are some posters who are all about the sexy stats... they love boasting analytics and explaining how we're really the best team out there.... they cry about not getting ESPN love... they want to see highlight reel stuff... and argue about their guy being the MVP.... i dgaf about none of that... I want a championship - period.

Watching Harden score 35-40+ points while we shoot 40 or 50 3 pointers and we win by 20 is sexy - its what gets many fans excited. Running Clark 20 mins trying to develop him, trying to develop a post up game that we can fall back on if the 3s aint falling, losing an extra couple games bc you are resting key personnel - not sexy...

Playing the long game isn't always the 'sexiest route'... but its usually the most advantageous - in the long run...

fattz likes this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

24 years old Giannis plays the same minutes a game as Chris paul.exclude Paul last game.

BasketMAD likes this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

Nope it's worse than he wants to win. There have been times just this year where CP & Harden were playing in a blow out wins. MDA also needs to understand in order for other guys to develop, he has to allow them to play through mistakes. Benching a guy for eternity because he had a bad stretch isn't plausible. If GS had time to develop Javale Mcgee into their system I'm not sure why MDA can't do the same

15. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You can make that easy argument for any coach. "Well, there's a reason he does it." "Well, there's a reason Jason Kidd plays Giannis this way." That's a very lazy argument, dude. MDA is historically TERRIBLE at managing minutes and developing other players. If he had any success with that strategy, I would've shut up, but it's funny that he still commits to it after the pattern of bad luck (if you want to call it that). That's a concerning sign.

BeBreezy and kjayp like this.
  16. BigBum

BigBum Member

4-year plan
    If I were Tilman I would stop mda to give so many minutes to tucker, Paul and harden. It is okay for Gordon bc he is unlikely to stay.
    Hate to say this. Someone will overpay Gordon.

17. mockster

mockster Member

MDA is a good coach and defiantly knows better then us. That said based on other coaches I see no reason why we always run a short lineup and plays people so many minutes when not needed. The shorter lineup may due to lack of talent and making sure players stay warm and hot.

I also don’t agree how he handled melo, everything points to melo being the one that opted out of the situation and it looks like it’s prolly cuz of MDA.

18. bongman

bongman Member

If we are talking about championship, look at the bench of the champs and compare. would you be able to say we're even close? They have a huge advantage with personnel to have the luxury of limiting minutes and Boogie has yet to play.

Not following you with sexy. You are proposing giving minutes to a player that does not help in the most important reason why harden is in the game which is, handle the ball so you can shoot,distribute,get fouled,etc. Clark can't even come close to that. I could understand saying Knight or another PG, but Clark?

I also like the idea of developing our young players, but is that a luxury we can afford?

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The disconnect in this whole thread between the "Rest Hardeners" and the "We Can't Rest Hardeners" is we Rest Hardeners think the bench is good enough. With the addition of Austin Rivers, it is.

You We Can't Rest Hardeners are dumb and panicky.

BasketMAD, BeBreezy and kjayp like this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

It is about playoffs. First round will be a struggle if starters are fatigue.