1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"D'Antoni Hopes Formula is Enough to Bring Him a Title" - NBA.COM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Sep 13, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Well that and having versatile players at 3,4, and 5 spots who can pass and create mismatches... Like Diaw, STAT, Marion, and Joe Johnson. Plus a lot of off the ball stuff you saw with the Phoenix Suns. It's not exactly the same and the Warriors and Spurs have certainly tweaked it to fit their personnel.

The Spurs have moved away from it since they simply don't have reliable creator (they need a new PG/ball distributor).

2. underrated015

underrated015 Member

anything but jb's coaching should be a plus. still in shock how dreadful last year was.

3. rocketsmetalspd

I am going to agree on this statement it will be a big surprise to all the NBA experts and naysayers on this BBS.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I want to say 50 win team, but knowing how much Les will ride on Morey's ass to disregard loyalty, acquire assets, we'll probably follow typical pattern of on the bubble mediocrity.

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I can't wait for the season!

This team will surprise so many people

1 person likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

maybe you know something we don't

who is last year's rocket's draymond, klay, barnes, bogut, AI, livingston, barbosa, livingston, speighs?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Do you have a link to the article in your sig?

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

As much as I love the optimism and I am too: it's not enough.

This team as currently constructed is nowhere good enough to be even a half decent threat. Like I've said before, we made some decent moves in the right direction but it's not enough. We need guys who can make a play off the dribble, shoot and are versatile.

You want Harden to be the main centrepiece and we want the ball in his hands as much as possible but there's still not enough guys on this team that can do a bit of everything to make his life easier.

Look at the Warriors last year: Stephen Curry, Andre Iguodala, Leandro Barbossa, Shaun Livingston, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Ian Clark could all handle the ball (to different degrees), make plays for others and shoot/score.

The players we have that can be put in the same category are: James Harden, Eric Gordon and ... maybe Ryan Anderson? Beverley has become a great shooter but can't do anything else. Ariza is a drunkard with the ball. Beasley can only score, doesn't know how to pass. Nene is intriguing as I think his passing will be utilised. And yes, we know D'Antoni runs a pick and roll heavy offense but it's not the point, it's simply nowhere near enough. STILL. How long have we been saying that?

Let's hope there's a trade coming... lol who am I kidding

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Eric Gordon is a nice guy off the bench. Ryan Anderson is....not sure. He's had some really good offensive years but is a terrible defender.

And annoying as Dwight is, it's still a major loss.

Nene is a good bench addition too.

Guys like Capela, KJ, Harrell, if DMO is on the team will have to take big steps.

10. hakeemthagreat

The offense will be there. I just hope we'll stay healthy. Nene will be HUGE for us

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not confident about Anderson either. He'll have a nice year this year, maybe next as well, but Year 3 and 4 of that deal probably won't look good at all. Eric Gordon, however, should be a great 6th man. Should be a good fit with Harden when they play together as well.

Dwight of last year won't be a huge loss. He was good at rebounding, but not much else last year. I expect him to have a good year this year with Atlanta, but his time in Houston was up.

12. abaker28

abaker28 Member

And that's the key!
    I know every team says that, but we effectively doubled up our risk by shipping out injury prone Jones for equally injury prone Anderson and Gordon.
    If those 2 along with DMo and Beverley who also have injury history can remain relatively injury free, then I think this team can be exciting and challenge to some degree. Otherwise it's lottery pick for us.
    And not forgetting Les has banked heavily on Harden. If he goes down... well!

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Corey Brewer is our Klay, and Terry is our Livingston? LOL...

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

48-52 wins most likely.

Not going to be in the conversation without another big fish.

15. arjun

arjun Member

54-28 5th midwest

16. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Exactly

17. lastreg

lastreg Member

Coach Mike 'Antoni's offense philosophy has zero similarity to Haren, so chance of offense will work is very low.

What is common to them is no defense.

That's why it's a mediocre team, unfortunately.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is what I believe as well. I'll believe these fluff pieces about D'Antoni finally having a commitment to defense when I see it happen on the court. Until then, I'm not buying anything the Rockets PR machine has to say. After all talk is cheap.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Am I the only one who's optimistic? Like I just have a good feeling about this squad. Sure maybe not June basketball material yet but yall saw what happened last year. Ill admit too I was leading the why MDA chants, but I have a good feeling about them.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Bzdelik is a pretty respected defensive minded coach. Cant say they are not committed to defense when they hire a guy like that.