1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni: all Leslie or moreyball boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, May 18, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

So is it Les, a bit of Morey or ALL (BETS ARE) IN moreyball?

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This is 80% Mauri + Harden with very little Les involvement.

JVG - respected coach who will emphasize D and hold players accountable - Harden NO LIke

Pringles - Puppet coach who Mauri can smack around and holds no one accountable (Harden likes). Goes to show that Harden has Mauri by the cojones and Mauri wants to have the coach to follow his gimmick system.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Skull crushed by a trash compactor or is it genetic?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think he's trying to see if he plasters something all over the board might make it true..

5. Play07

Play07 Member

morey... everyone blaming less not blaing morey are the usual morey lovers homers

mike D. offense is exactly what morey wants, morey is still trying to prove a point that his basketball analytics can be successful

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is probably Les, but to the idiots who are stupid enough to assert that a guy that has been bold enough through his actions and words about "Coaching not mattering" ---having no input on the matter---stop posting and lowering the collective IQ of this board.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I can see that, all 3 personal agendas align:
    - Leslie: fast paced offense and known HC
    - Morey: open to analytics and fits in with philosophy
    - Harden: no defense? I'll take it *grabs a pringle*

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

The thing is, Morey (as many problems as I have with him) is smart enough to realize that this team needs a good defensive coach. Harden's future actually depends on it. The owner has been on record saying he wants a flashy offense (to sell tickets obviously).

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Definitely all Les. Morey is just going to get the blame as usual.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When Morey said we needed defense, he meant having an assistant defensive coach.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Is he? Has he said so publicly that the team needs a good defensive coach? Between Les and Daryl, Morey obviously comes off as the smarter one but perception is not always reality.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...der-to-re-evaluate-Rockets-roster-7249592.php

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah at the season ending interview Morey said that the priority this offseason is that we have to improve our defense one way or another.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

One way or another does not mean hiring a head coach who specializes in defense.

14. CertifiedTroll

Nook, why did you change the stats he was using? He put a lot of effort into getting those numbers.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Every media report suggests this is a Les-driven decision. The usual suspects will spend the next ___ years spamming the board with posts insisting it was Morey's call despite any evidence to the contrary, though.

2 people like this.
  16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

17. hakeemthagreat

I think Morey wants a coach that'll play into that gimmick Moreyball crap.

With that said, D'Antoni made it work with Nash and I'm interested to see if he can have success with Harden. Both get into the paint and like to create.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We are now officially tanking

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you don't think Les is all over this, then you have ignored years of Les Alexander public comments in addition to the deference and comments paid in his favor my Morey.

Les isn't cheap. But he is definitely a hands on owner (and this is not a bad thing per se). This isn't a Morey puppet. This is Mr. Les Alexander's next highly-paid employee. And Alexander will have his nose all up in his bidness. This coach will produce the kind of product Alexander wants (up tempo offense) and will give Alexander regular updates on the team. Maybe not daily updates of the kind Morey has to give, but Alexander will not be out of the loop.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Like I said, As much as I have criticized Morey but he is trying to steer this ship right and has likely learned from his mistakes.

Le$ "I inherited 2 rings" Alexander just can't help himself.