1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Anthony Melton' defensive mindset

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KALIKULI, Aug 22, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Everyone close to the Celtics go on and on and on about the importance of Marcus Smart on that squad.

Maybe Melton can be our Marcus Smart.

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yep, over time I could see him becoming that. Will need to build his body up over the next year or two.

3. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Seriously, what has Carmelo done to you or your family to deserve all this hate?

I also don't like him, mostly because of him being an whiny and lazy star.

But hey! We are paying him as much as we paid Iso Joe. How the hell is that not an upgrade?

And besides, he NEVER played with this much talent to leave him open. I honestly don't see that much of the risk.

Now back to topic:
    Unless Melton really goes insane playing like a top pick right away, I also prefer him on dleague next year. NBA experience counts, but if not ready, it may destroy the player's confidence.

clutchdabear, saleem and D-rock like this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

i don't see it destroying his confidence. If he gets minutes, it will be for defense only, he will get to shoot a couple of 3's, but confidence or not his length and scrapiness on defense will help the team.

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

MDA doesn't put guys in his rotation if they're only going to be playing 5-10 minutes. He believes in rhythm.

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're seriously expecting Melton to be a regular rotation guy this year, barring injuries. If you're adamant though, I'd be willing to make a tipjar wager.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd be willing to bet he gets more run that Qi and Hartenstein.

What are your stipulations on this tip jar bet.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I can see why Morey was drooling over this guy. He reminds me of a shorter, quicker Shane Battier; great BBIQ, excellent anticipation on defense and on rebounds, plays with effort, always seems to be around the action. Looks like the one guy on the court you can usually trust to make the right decisions.

Can't wait to see him playing alongside NBA-talent-level guys.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. dharocks

How about 50.5 games played with the NBA squad? Assuming he gets signed and doesn't get injured/traded?

To me, that's a fringe rotation player. Tarik Black played in 51 games last year, averaging 10.5 mpg.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

True enough, but I wouldn't be shocked if Ennis doesn't pan out and Melton gets some of those minutes. I'm not impressed by Ennis at all, and playing with Harden and/or CP3 on the court would lessen Melton's chances of making silly rookie mistakes.

But yeah, it's more likely that we'll see him in garbage time this year and in the rotation next year if all goes well.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'll make that bet, with a small caveat.

If he doesn't get signed before training camp, there's just no way he makes the rotation through the season. So I would say deal off if this continues to be the case.

Deal?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Ennis is better fit on this Rockets team than MCW. Better defender, better shooter, better finisher.

If Melton was 6-6 instead of 6-4, Melton would take all of MCW minutes. Easily. Could still happen.

topfive likes this.
  12. dharocks

Sounds fine. I would also say if either Chris or James misses 50+ games, I'd back off my prediction.

Either way, it's (hopefully) low stakes. 25 bucks sound good?

13. fattz

fattz Member

Not a fan of the g league for fringe rotation rookies. Melton’s career is going to be playing off of an all star. How is going g league going to help that happen. He is more talented then most on RGV already. Do you think g league would help him more than just playing with the teammates on Rockets? How is coach going to build trust if he never plays for HIM. Maybe that is MCW is on a one year contract.

Don’t want put a bunch of playing time on a rental (no return) or injury prone point guard (want to give him the right minutes). Would like to use the time to develop our future.

Little Bit likes this.
  14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Role player? You mean sign him for 5 years max asap, trade harden for cap space.

15. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

He’s only playing in garbage time or if we have a bunch of injuries.

16. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I really see Stevie Franchise on Melton with the combination of young high IQ Sam Cassell combine. He rotates well on defense, He got hops for 6'4" guard with great shooting abilities behind the arc. It will be awesome for Melton to make it to the Rockets second unit!

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

His court vision and defensive skills are nba ready, looking forward to see him play.

KALIKULI and Little Bit like this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

If we have “garbage” time that means everything is working and we have time to develop our youth. The quicker our youth shows signs of development the more coach will WANT to develop them and pull the rotation out. Which is a win for everyone on the team from the youth to the mega stars and even coach. If coach starts to build trust with a player then and only then will the rotations start to change. The more “garbage” time the better because it’s a good thing to see on a healthy team.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Deal

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Why isn't Melton signed already?