1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danish 'Muhammad' Cartoonist To Receive German Media Freedom Prize

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Its funny how people highlight the 'racism' in the USA, and don't understand how much better we are than other countries. Germany is just notorious for this nonsense and their discrimination and anti-immigrant policies.

People have to be so much better than the pure 'Germans' to gain employment there and their racist undercurrents are very clear through guys like AroundTheWorld.

The guy should be allowed to write silly cartoons and not get death threats, the muslims should be allowed to build their mosque in Lower Manhattan and the guy in Florida should be able to burn his Quran. That is freedom. But to give a guy a 'prize' by the Chancellor for it is just ridiculous.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't judge my country based on the lameness of others.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree. This is as ridiculous as giving Barack Obama a Nobel Prize before he had done anything.

I seem to recall you speaking out against that. Any comments on this award?

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think the cartoon had the effect of showing that radical Islam is not simply confined to the poor in backwards third world countries like Sudan and Afghanistan, but also festers in places like the Netherlands. That a man would be threatened with death in a modern society for drawing a cartoon is preposterous. I applaud the German government for recognizing the courage of the man, though I think awarding all of the entrants would have been better.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"German Media Freedom Prize" is ironic.

"German Media Selective Freedom Prize" is more appropriate.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes. Kurt Westergaard deserves his prize more.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

Of course you think he deserves his prize more. You probably think he's a global hero, right? Anyone who would intentionally offend Muslims is a great person in your book.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No matter how much some of the islamist posters on this forum hate the guy and wish for him to have to live in fear for the rest of his life (like Mathloom and some others), he is a great man full of courage, and if anything, his cartoon sadly was proven to be spot on.

9. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I seldom post in these matters because people seem to give you substantial evidence to support their claims you seem to never really respond but change the subject or ignore the matter. But really, you are a very delusional person to think that this man is courageous at all. I'm not a Muslim but found some of his drawings in bad taste. For somebody naming themselves "AROUND THE WORLD", you sure don't know sh** about it.

2 people like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He stands up for freedom of speech even though a lunatic islamist has already tried to kill him in his house. How is that not courageous?

2 people like this.
  11. basso

Supporting Member

where does "giving offense" fall on your own hierarchy of sins?

12. basso

Supporting Member

indeed.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A very good point.

DD

14. Steve_Francis_rules

I have a pretty simple rule. I try not to do something that I know will offend people simply because it will offend them. If I do otherwise, I'm being a douche bag.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So all cartoonists and political comedians and radio talk show hosts are douche bags to you? They all do their job even though they know some of what they do will inevitably offend some people.

17. basso

Supporting Member

so, by your reasoning, Obama is a douche bag?

18. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Having the freedom to do something is a great privilege and with privileges come responsibility. HIs remarks are simply tasteless, yea he has the right to do it, and yea the lunatics trying to kill him are wrong, but what about the other hundreds of millions, even a billion + who consider this man a sacred character in their lives and just pray to him and have nothing to do with this guy, and he has nothing to do with him, but to them they consider him holy, sure he has the right to make fun of it, but you don't find it just tasteless and provocative to mock him and their religion in such a way?

If you go upto some guy and start making fun of his dead mother that he was close to, something sacred to him, and then he attacks you and you keep saying stuff about his mother, you have the right to, but its simply tasteless, rights are privileges, and we are given these rights because we have intellect to make our own decisions, should we apply this intellect to pick and choose how to exercise our rights, isnt that responsibility?

You talk about the lunatic crazy muslim guy, but what about me? What about the hundreds of millions of muslims in American and around the world who don't care for the hate violent, we just have our beliefs and try to live god lives like anyone else? Yes the presence of the opposite is there, but why would you continue to ignore the majority like myself? Should I bring up this John terry pastor, the KKK, hitler, and try to start some issue with Christianity or realize them for what they are, people with simply bad intentions, not becuase they were christians, but its just who they are and whatever religion they bought up with they would use for their goals.

just like you group the islamists together, the only people I think your mindset is simple too is actually the radicalist and the terrorist who actually belief that somethigns can't coexist, your logic is just like theres, you and them both would agree they are some sort of 'true' 'pure' islam, its pretty sad to see you get more and more entrenched in your view and picking and choosing points to support yourview just like they do and ignoring everything else

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I understand why the cartoon pisses so many Muslims off...

On the other hand, if you know that the guy is trying to get a rise off of Muslims... why can't you just IGNORE him? That would be a step in the right direction.

If you are going to be a part of a secular society, you must accept the rules that others enjoy and fight for them. The day we start complaining about what people are drawing, reading, etc.... is the day that people start complaining about which places of worship should pop up where.

20. trustme

trustme Member

Please explain what you mean by islamist posters.