1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Angelo Russell to GSW

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rasheed, Jun 30, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

I have no idea why someone felt the need to make the point that klay who is 6’7 with shoes and has been in the league for almost a decade to apparently be corrected to 6’5 and inches as if that changed a thing. Lmfao. Cf’s these days has really changed

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The west is pretty good, lots of teams have 3 players that can rain fire on offense. Off the top of my head Lakers with Kawhi, Rox and Jazz are probably all better than GSW at full strength this season.

Just because you are over doesnt mean you are a horrible team, Warriors can still make the playoffs but their seed wont be high if Klay misses like half the season. Anyway we'll see I predict they'll struggle out the gate.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If that didnt change a thing why would you mistakenly correct me when I said 6'5? That doesnt change a thing right? So why mention it?

I mean you're the one who cared enough to point out Klay is 6'7 and not 6'5, I just show ed you you're wrong suddenly you're like who cares lmao.

Apparently you do since you posted about it first. You just can't stand being wrong about anything even if its as inconsequential as 2 inches.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Because you’re just weird. Who posted about his height first. You did. It doesn’t change a damn thing about who he is. Oh gs is like hey klay in year 9 you’re actually 6’5 and change barefoot so we’re going to play you different than what we have. Foh with that bs.

Klay we’ve found that at your draft combine you’re actually 6’5 and change without shoes, so you can no longer guard the guys you have been your entire career thus far. Seriously this is where you’re at. Lmao. Good night

5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we are not better than the warriors. did you guys miss the part where we couldnt even get one win without KD playing ? they still have their main core plus DLo.... we have not made any moves or gotten better. the natural decline of cp3 means we will be worse by default. stop being homers. you guys are still living in the 17-18 season.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

His height doesnt change who he is? Doesnt height determine what position you play? Mentioning a dude's height when playing a position is perfectly logical, I fail to see what's weird about it. The weird thing is you being mistaken and getting all defensive about it after you get corrected lmao.

Btw GSW is clear about Klay's height they got his combine results and it's published publicly. You're the one mistaken about his height for the past 10 years. They arent gonna ask him to change cuz theyknow he is 6'5 3/4 unlike you.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lmao you’re just all over the place. So why does ben Simmons play pg if height determines the position you play. My gawd you’re just posting a bunch of L’s at this point. I’m literally laughing at this as opposed to being defensive bc I can’t believe this is your actual take unless you’re like 10 years old

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Main core is KD and Iggy or am I wrong? Iggy was also a vital part of their team he added 9 ppg and played big defense for them.

Rox have made moves they retained House and Rivers for multiple years and they still have MLE.

YuLC.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lol house and rivers. do you realize they STILL have 4 all-stars ? won 3 titles ? we have one star and no titles. they are the better team

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's the exception that proves the rule how many pgs are over 6'8 tall?

Just cause Draymond plays center at 6'6 doesnt mean James Harden can play center.

Also there's a reason Irving, DLo, Kemba Walker all pg even if they all score more than distribute.

The only one taking Ls here is you as you thought Klay was 6'7 for the past decade. I cant believe you corrected me without even checking the facts first. I'm literally laughing here are you like 10 yrs old?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Meaning previous titles doesnt mean anything we're talking about the current season.

Hey Jrue Holiday was an allstar in the East too how did that pan out for AD? Also you realize that Klay wont even play for half the season right? Hell even Curry was playing hurt. I dunno who are the 4 all stars you're talking about Draymond isnt an allstar anymore, Klay wont be eligible due to injury and I highly doubt DLo gets in over Curry, Harden, Dame and WB.

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

DLo led a team to the playoffs he is an all star player. Draymond sure looked like an all star picking us apart in the playoffs and sending us home. They have more talent, more winning experience, and a better coach.

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not a fan of Russell and personally don't think he is that good nor will he ever be that good. However, it is undisputed that he is young, talented and has tons of interests around the league.

Which could be the Warriors saving grace IMO, since I think the contract Russel got will be bleh in two years.

Marc Stein has reported, along with a few others... that they expect the Warriors to trade Russell if not by Dec-Feb then not long after for more complementary pieces and assets.

This will be a great move by Meyers/Warriors if they do manage to trade Russell for assets, considering that going into this free agency period, they literally had near zero assets, cap space or young players coveted by other teams.

da_juice, BigShasta and plutoblue11 like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Draymond wasnt the one who sent us home it was Klay, Iggy and Curry. Draymond scored all of 8 pts that game how is that looking like an allstar and sending us home?

I understand your frustration but its also pretty clear GSW doesnt have 4 all stars anymore.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[...]

They can trade Russell again on Dec. 15. The Minnesota Timberwolves will still covet him then; Robert Covington would form the starting point of a very nice package. Other teams will need a point guard.

There was another path: Let Durant walk for nothing; keep Iguodala; use most of the midlevel exception to build out the 2019-20 roster; and hoard every future draft pick. The Warriors also could have netted a trade exception big enough to fit almost any player in the league. (As is, they likely are getting a $17 million trade exception in the Iguodala part of the deal.)

At first glance, I preferred that path. Golden State paid at the top of the market in draft compensation to shed Iguodala. I am lukewarm on Russell's ability to get any better unless he changes his shot selection.

But you can understand why the Warriors chose Russell. Trade exceptions usually snare expensive players on the decline. The "keep Iguodala" route would not have netted any real cap flexibility -- not now, and not later, with Green one year from cycling onto a fat, new contract. Golden State's best methods of grabbing a good young player in that scenario would have been trading one core star, or hitting on a masterstroke late in the draft. The chances of such a player developing in time to absorb some of the load from Curry, Thompson and Green before they decline are remote.

Thompson's injury changed the calculus. The Warriors needed someone right now to play a ton of minutes -- more than Iguodala can -- at a guard spot. Golden State likely isn't contending this season. Iguodala has little purpose on a non-contending team.

Even with this more expensive Russell roster -- and that hard cap -- the Warriors were still able to re-sign Kevon Looney to a three-year, $15 million deal. They will have almost only minimum-level deals left to fill the roster, but it's not as if the alternate Iguodala/Looney/midlevel exception scenario is yielding meaningfully more present-day on-court talent than the Russell/Looney/minimums path Golden State chose.

Two rival executives who didn't like the Russell deal framed the debate this way: Couldn't the Warriors have gotten someone better if they had canvassed the league with a package of Iguodala and two picks? Maybe? The most sensible destination would be a win-now team in need of cap relief, or stagnant mid-tier teams hunting a pivot. Danilo Gallnari? DeMar DeRozan? Clint Capela? One of Miami's good young players -- the best of whom (Josh Richardson) they just agreed to trade for a legit star in Jimmy Butler? Kyle Lowry on an expiring deal if Kawhi Leonard bolts Toronto?

It's unclear if any of those guys would have been gettable. How many turn the 2019-20 Warriors back into contenders and carry more long-term trade value than Russell?

There was no ideal path once Durant left. Time will tell if this one works. It will come down to whether Russell is worth more -- in his play or what the Warriors trade him for -- than those two picks. There are even hypotheticals in which the Warriors trade Russell and Thompson -- or Russell and Green -- for god knows what.

The changes just felt so abrupt: Durant down, Thompson down, Durant out, and then Iguodala gone in exchange for someone never connected with the Warriors.

Tomorrow is always coming in the NBA, even when it seems a long way off.

Vivi likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad

Follow the next set of tweets very closely, to see how the Brooklyn Nets will employ salary cap magic on July 6, to squeeze an extra $9.2 million out of thin air!

The common logic across the NBA community is the Nets did the Warriors a favor by agreeing to take in Kevin Durant via sign-and-trade, vs. simply signing him outright… That’s only half true! Yes, GSW extracted something: D’Angelo Russell. But so did Brooklyn: DeAndre Jordan!

The Nets were probably planning to sign Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving into cap room. But when DeAndre Jordan became a possibility, they probably then shifted course. They decided to steal the Lakers’ idea!

The Nets will brilliantly sequence their transactions, in order to increase the combined salary they can give to Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and DeAndre Jordan by a whopping $9.2M… effectively creating cap room out of thin air to cover Jordan’s entire first-year salary!!!

OK, so how are the Nets going to do it? Here are the steps:

The Nets will first exhaust all $68.8M of their cap room by signing their free agents and draft picks. They’ll sign D’Angelo Russell, DeAndre Jordan, Nicolas Claxton, and, finally, Kyrie Irving (who will need to take a small discount from his $32.7M max – as little as $420K).

Think about what just happened… The Nets need $70.0M cap room just to sign Durant ($38.2M) and Irving ($32.7M), let alone add Jordan ($9.3M). They can only create $68.8M, by waiving Napier and Graham (NGs). Instead, they’ll keep Napier, Graham and Russell to exhaust cap room.

The Nets will then guarantee $3.2M of the combined $3.5M salaries of Shabazz Napier and Treveon Graham, so they’ll count as outgoing salary in trade. They’ll then combine Napier, Graham and D’Angelo Russell to trade-match for… Kevin Durant (who could get his full $38.2M max).

The Nets will end it all $8.3M over the salary cap – having artificially created $9.2M in cap room by exceeding the salary cap to trade-match for Kevin Durant, rather than sign him outright. And they’ll give that extra money to… DeAndre Jordan!

And that’s why the Warriors will need to acquire Shabazz Napier and Treveon Graham in the D’Angelo Russell trade, even though their salaries were non-guaranteed. And it’s also why they’ll need to pay the Wolves cash just to get rid of them!

For those asking: If you follow my tweets closely, you will notice that the Nets will sign D’Angelo Russell into cap room. So BYC will NOT apply. That is the most critical part of this entire story!

BigBum, pippendagimp and Vivi like this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think Russell is the smartest guy in the nba. 50% world fans will know his name soon.
    His value increases when he was traded for Durant plus GS first round pick.
    You can also say he is traded for Durant iggy and 2 first round picks.
    Is there any player who can be traded for the world best player plus iggy plus 2picks?

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont care how good DLo is he doesnt fit the Warriors and GsW is DOA next season until Klay comes back and if he comes back with his quickness intact.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Russell is an interesting prospect and he did deserve to be that Allstar bench player last year.

He is 22-23, can only grow.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.