1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dana Baros to the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zzhiggins, Oct 15, 2002.

1. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

With the scare about Steves foot injury comes the realization of how thin we are at both guard positions. We have at least seven guards on the team ,but , Moochie is our back up at both the 1&2. Adding another young player, for instance Pete M. is not the answer, We need a backup who is ready to play, but dosent resent the backup role. The guy that pops into my mind for the 1&2 is DANA BARROS. tHE REASON IS HE IS ONE OF THE TWO PLAYERS THAT HIT 50 Points in a game against the rockets. The other was Rick Barry.{That is Games I witnesed,} We need a vet backup, Do you have a better idea?//

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I would prefer our backup guard be strong on the defensive end, but I wouldn't be too disapointed in Baros if he came real cheap.

3. Summer Song Giver

Love the little guy, he can shoot the lights out and he seems to have a mean streak too. Is he a free agent.

4. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I think Dana is a free agent, RealGM indicates Detroit has given up thier right to him.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Where does Dana get his minutes from?

Also, Barros is a great spot up shooter. Im not sure if he can get his own shot of anymore. He might be ideal if Yao commands constant double teams where Dana could get alot of open looks.

I do believe Barros has dropped 40+ on us a couple of times in his career.

6. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

The best senario is we get him and never have to play him...... But if Steve goes down Dana will become valuable.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

I dont even think Dana Barros is in the league anymore. Hes not listed on NBA.com at all.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Scare? Foot injury? He has some tendinitis and will sit out because it is only a preseason game. I think that qualifies as neither an injury nor a scare.

Anyway, I don't think we're all that thin. Moochie is a more than adequate fill-in at the starting 1. He'll have to log some heavy minutes, but between Brown, Maddox, and Torres, I think he should be able to get some rest. I don't think we'll do much better with a veteran scrub than we will with a young scrub. If we're missing our best player, we'll be hurting regardless of who is backing him up.

9. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

This is serious...Its Steves second time around with this. This is the same kind of problem that kept Bill Walton on the IR most of his career.

10. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Dana Barros played 29 games for Detroit last year, on a one year contract at 1.5 million This year Detroit renounced thier rights to him making him an unrestricted free agent. If he plays this year it will be for a minimum contract. He is listed on Detroits list of players in camp. But may have already been dropped. ACCORDING TO REALGM.

11. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Sorry, last word..Dana Barros career may be winding down or even over,BUT HE WILL NEVER BE A SCRUB. Hisbest year..20 points per game, 46% threes for 82 games played. One season his free throw % was 91.8%. Hes special.

12. aries323

aries323 Member

If we can get him cheap, he will be a valuable asset to the second team. I'm sure we can get someone else who can can play d. That is what we need, someone to shut other guards down. Posey, Artest comes to mind. We have KT, who is expendable because of MoTaylor and Griffin. Trade???;)

13. coke

coke Member

Isn't he aging?

14. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

lol...Im sure he is !!

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

if he's available, then I say why not. We need another veteran to help out at times.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we are looking at a back-up pg why not sign mookie blaylock to a 1 year deal at the minimum? we do need defence more than another 3pt shooter.

17. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Blaylock is probably a much better player, but, would he play for the minimum for the Rockets. ....And also a MOOCHIE AND A MOOKIE ON THE SAME TEAM...YIKES

18. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

M-M-M-M-M-M-M-Mookie may not have very much left, but you know he'd have a connection to some great bud man.