1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dan Snyder open letter regarding Redskins name

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TexasStake, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's a difference between perceived political correctness vs. what's going on here. There's a difference between holding the position between valuing an owner's rights vs. vehemently being anti-PC and using that hatred from within to merge that opinion with this Redskins issue. If after reading through this thread (which I'm thinking many have not), one still does not understand both legitimate sides then that just sucks. Redskins fans who grew up loving this team and being unaware of the term history prior to franchise do not need or want any support from Cowboys fans who just want to jump on the anti-PC bandwagon.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

I love the first two and the last one is just plain stupid and reaching. I would have no problem if the team were originally named one of the first two you mentioned. No sports team would ever be named a 5 word hyphenated sentence. My problem would come when some stupid liberal group tried to change the name because of faux outrage.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please answer the question: would you walk up to a Native American man and call him a "redskin" without any hesitation? How would you expect him to react?

4. cml750

cml750 Member

That is really a silly question. The name of the team has absolutely nothing do do with the question you are asking. If I did not find them so dang amusing, I might actually choose to be be offended by liberals since it is my choice whether to be offended or not.;)

5. cml750

cml750 Member

This is ALL about political correctness and if you don't see that you are indeed very naive. I could not care less if this is the Redskins, who I hate, or the Dallas Cowboys. If a group of liberal ranch hands suddenly felt offended by the term "Cowboys" as the Dallas pro football teams name then I would be just as fervent in my defense of their right to keep their name. This is a faux outrage created by the PC police and nothing is going to change that reality. Last time I checked, we still have the right of free speech in our Constitution despite the all PC efforts to change that right. It is well within my rights to defend the Redskins or anyone I so choose from .

6. mtbrays

Supporting Member

*Sigh* Of course you played that card.

[​IMG]

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So in other words you wouldn't use that term to address an actual Native American.

Considering how not offended you are by liberals you sure seem to spend a lot of time getting upset about them.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Dan can wipe his arse with a peyote plant.

9. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

I wouldn't, simply because that would be so nutty. Why would I refer to him as "Redskin", when I would generally use his first name or say something like,"Hey, bro?" Although, if I would refer to a Native American in that manner, it would be the same as calling a white person a "Whiteskin." I certainly wouldn't be offended by that.

10. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

That meme is great for the pro-Redskins side, too.

11. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Except "whiteskin" has no historical connotation and that group, in America, has never been on the side of oppression and rampant racial caricatures. There is no "reverse racism" you can point to hear as a desperate at egalitarianism.

12. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Yes, we can all say as we please. You don't have many posts here, so you may not be familiar with cml's posting style. He loves to pull the victim card and claim that somehow his Constitutional rights are being seized, especially his right to free speech. He is misinterpreting the intention of the First Amendment and that is why I posted the comic.

13. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

So, I gather from this that you think the Redskins should go away from their well-meaning name simply because Native Americans have been the subject of rampant racism, and because the name "Redskins" has perhaps been used by racists years ago to describe Native Americans in a negative light?

Because I don't believe, in this PC age we live in, that a group of people large enough to require a change actually use the term "Redskins" in a derogatory light towards Native Americans. So, if my deduction was correct, your basis for changing the name is that it was used as an insult many decades ago, and therefore is not suitable for use as a sports team name today. Correct? No?

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think you were foolish enough to post something that juicy unless you had a good reason. I mean, that line, "It doesn't mean that anyone has to listen to your bull****, or host you while you share it," is just too good. :grin: