1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dan Gadzuric for backup Center???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sracer1000, May 9, 2002.

1. sracer1000

sracer1000 Member

What does anyone think of Dan Gadzuric ?

Everything I have read abot him says he is big, fast and pretty athletic. It says he actually WORKS HARD!!! Unlike our current postmen Mo T and Cato. I think we should draft a 3 with the 1st pick ( Woods or Butler, in that order ) and trade down 5 spots to pick up Gadzuric in the 19 - 21 range. We could pick up a future #2 and get a good center. He might actually push Cato in practice and make them both better. The reason I like him better than the other centers for the Rockets is because he can RUN and is a hustle player with a little post game. Do you guys remeber when we had Carlos Rogers and he brought a spark of the bench. I see Gadzuric doing that but with better potential to become more down the road. The only player I would pick at 15 and not trade down for is Stoudimire, but I think he'll be gone by then. Then I would take Juan Dixon in the 2nd round.

Francis / Norris / Brown*
    Mobley / Dixon / Torres*
    Woods / Rice / Morris
    Griffen / Kt / Mo T
    Cato / Gadzuric / Collier*

* = injured reserve

The reason I put Mo T back is because he is out of shape and needs to work his way back. I see Rice, Moochie, and eventually Mo T coming in to add a spark and scoring off the bench. KT and Dan Gadzuric will add hustle and rebounding.

What do you guys think???

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think Gadzuric could be the next Cherokee Parks....no thanks

3. BTM

BTM Member

He's ok... But using the 15th pick on him would be a waste.

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yes, yes, yes. He's a physical specimen who could develop into something great.

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

only if he were to loren woods into the second round

7. wrath_of_khan

So was Kelvin Cato when he graduated college. ;)

Not worth it at the 15th pick or higher, IMO.

8. sracer1000

sracer1000 Member

Not 15, thatsn too high I agree, butI feel he fits this team best at the 5.

If so, so what? Are u saying u wouldnt want Cherokee Parks at a low rookie salary to back up Cato?? I would sign Cherokee himself for a rookie contract.

Big Body + Low Salary + SOME Potential = low risk, everyone wins.

9. NJRocket

We have Dan Gadzuric...his name is Jason Collier....at #53, i wouldnt complain about Gadzuric...at 15-20, I would

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

OK, Gadzuric is alot more agressive and athletic than Collier. I think he's gonna be good.

11. sracer1000

sracer1000 Member

Your joking right???

Collier is one of the worst 15 picks at 15 in the history of the NBA. He is not fast, athletic, or a good fit for the rox. He is a big guy who can shoot 18 ft jumper, and only because he has no post game, handles, jumping ability, or passing. Im surprised the guy can dunk. Gadzurick is kind of like a bigger Keon Clark with the potential for a post game.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What would ya'all do if the Raptors said "Give us the #15 back for the #20 + our next years first rounder"? Would you do it and take Gadzuric at 20? That way, we have two sure first round picks next year to pay back the Grizz.

I would be very tempted. Especially if the Clipps took Collier as part of a contract balance for Odom if the Rocks swapped 5 + fill for 8 (or 12 ) + Odom. I think I could live with #12 + Odom + Gadzuric + Toronto's 1st next year.

If it's true that Dunleavy Jr is coming out, 8, 12 and 15 could all be good picks.

13. NJRocket

Relax Mr Gadzuric...Im sure your son will make a fine NBA player:rolleyes:

14. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Gadzuric and Collier are on opposite ends! I've seen a ton of UCLA games being in LA and they are not similar in anyway. Even in size it's not the same, collier seems like he has alot of baby fat, Gadzuric is cut, he's got a built body. Gudzuric is a post player, loves to post up and loves to dunk with autority and force. In fact I have never seen him not dunk hard. He has a little hook shot that works too, but he is not a perimeter 3pt shooting center like Collier. I'm not saying that he's going to be fantastic or anything but their games are very different. I think he could be a good career backup but not a good starter. He is fast and runs like a deer and also quick to get steals and rebounds but only for short periods and then disappears. But when he gets going he's going, I mean he plays like he's an allstar sometimes but then most of the time he plays like he shouldn't even be playing but it could be because he's usually injured often. He is very athletic but his body moves strangely like his body is uncordinated sort of goofy like but hey whatever works for him. I'd say he much better than Collier but not as good as Cato :eek:

15. NJRocket

All Im saying is that I wouldnt waste a top 20 pick on the guy...he isnt THAT good

16. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I agree I wouldn't take him with our 15th pick either but I'm very curious as to how he will do in the NBA. Actually I'm interested in all the UCLA players in the last few years since when I graduated HS then started watching College Ball UCLA has been my favorite team when they had Baron Davis, I actually didn't think he would do as well as he's doing I thought he'd be like a T. Brandon at the begining of his career. And I thought J. Moiso was going to be good, man what happened to him? And I thought for sure Rush was going to be in the NBA. Man I'm not too good at this player prediction thing. But I will still continue to predict and I think Gaduric is going to be an ok backup and certainly worth a late 1st rounder and definitely a 2nd rounder.

17. wrath_of_khan

This is my problem with Gadzuric. He disappears a lot. For those of you who only saw his monster game against Cincy in last year's NCAA Tourney, it was an aberration. Gadzuric disappears frequently and looks completely lost at times. And that was against college players.

And remember -- he's a senior. So you can't rationalize it by saying "he's only 19" or something.

And, while he is very athletic, he is very uncoordinated and I don't see that ever changing. He's very unskilled. As an example, he shot under 50% from the free throw line last year. So he's either A) not skilled enough to hit a free throw or B) not hardworking enough to improve an important area of his game or C) all of the above.

The guy's been playing colleger ball for four years. Sure, there theoretically is some potential that he'd get better, but this isn't some 19 year old phenom. He's 24. How much better will he get?

Not to mention the track record of Lavin-coached big men in the NBA.... (Moiso, anyone?) :rolleyes: