1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damage Control? Daryl Morey now on ESPN 97.5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by So Good, Jul 14, 2014.

1. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL what?? Just to get some facts straight, jeremy lin had a very good game 3. Other than the dish, he only scored the first 4 rocket points in overtime to keep them in the game.

Anyways that said, he'll be harder to replace than most think. Halfway through the season the Rockets will probably hover around 500 and people are going to be saying "man we need guard off the bench who can score some and create some shots for others!"

2. Raven

Raven Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

Because we had no one to replace his production. Freaking Casspi and Garcia would have to play heavy minutes. Ariza gives you almost the same offense, and much better D. I'm alright with that swap.

We were 3-5 with Asik starting at the end of the year. It wasn't much of a luxury. In fact we actually had a better record in games Asik didn't play versus the ones he did. That doesn't mean that we are better off without him, but it does mean that he wasn't a huge part of our regular season success.

That's fair. I would point to the rest of the season when he was wildly inconsistent as a rebuttal. I'm fairly confident we can get pretty darn close to equal production from Canaan. Kid can shoot.

That's a big reason why I'm happy with the Ariza signing. We'll finally have some perimeter defense.

1 person likes this.
  4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

That was the exact my speculation for Bosh, the rockets try very hard to get him, but I heard that Bosh never committed to the rockets during that time. What is the prove that Les is willing to keep Parsons after getting Bosh? I do not think so.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Jazz a matched Hayward's contract, so it's not like Cuban totally overpaid...

6. cml750

cml750 Member

True!! Who knows if they would have matched Parsons if they signed Bosh. Just because they said they would??? They said they would match any offer and didn't. But hey at least we have the "flexibility" to keep making offers to free agents so they can keep turning us down.:mad:

7. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Really? Seemed like all the losses last year were because of the team's backup PG...

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Fegan screwed up DM badly with Parsons, but how could he have stopped Dwight to Houston? Dwight felt we were the best place for him.

9. So Good

So Good Member

He said that after the season. Parsons switched to Fegan in May and reports started to surface around that time. I'm sure Morey, Parsons and Fegan were talking long before then.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight almost fired Fegan during free agency

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As to Morey's media blitz, I do think it's a little curious and defensive. What's the purpose of all this media time, if not to just work on his own image?

Does it help us land other free agents? Or does it keep him from working the phones?

I would criticize the decision to do so many shows, since I don't see how that helps the ROCKETS.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

B-bob - Morey knows he screwed the pooch here, and is in damage control.

There is no reason to make someone a RFA unless you are going to match.

DD

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You only match if the contract is reasonable. Parsons' contract is NOT reasonable for the Rockets. In hindsight Morey should have picked up the option. Morey gambled and lost, but he made a run and we would have been ecstatic had Bosh landed in HTown. That's the way it goes, but you do not sacrifice the $15 million on a 2nd rounder that was a 3rd option.

16. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I don't think the outcome would change if Parson's played out his original contract and became UFA. He would have been gone anyway. There was a difference in opinion on his role with the team between Parsons and the Rockets. Another year wasn't going to change that difference.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rumor at the time had Fegan trying to point Dwight towards Dallas.

18. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

This. Lin played huge roles in the 2 Rockets win against Blazers. Game 3 the Birdnesque steal from Harden's TO and pass for the OT winner. Game 5 21 pts in 31 minutes on 9/15 FG. Not too shabby as a bench player.

Harden, the MAX player, on the other hand, got massively abused by Mathew and did nothing in the first 5 games.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

CSN did right off the bat:

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/rockets/embed/select/R3m2_123tUw5" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, he screwed up royally by letting Parsons out of the last year of his contract, but both Morey and Cuban were played by Fegan. Not just Morey, in my humble opinion.

On another related note, what do you think of the endless running at the mouth by Parsons, DD? That he's never, to my knowledge, publically thanked the Rockets organization for letting him out of his contract a year early, thus giving him this chance to get this absurdly large contract? And what do you think of Parsons not finding the time to do that, but having plenty of time to publically say he's going to attempt to help Dallas steal Howard? Before the ink is dry on his new contract? Any opinions about that?