1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damage Control? Daryl Morey now on ESPN 97.5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by So Good, Jul 14, 2014.

1. rock34

rock34 Member

This keeps getting asked as to why nobody asks him why they made Chandler
    Restricted free agent and the reason why is because there is no need to.
    It is obvious DM gambled on matching any offer on Chandler because he didnt
    Think anybody would be crazy enough to offer MAX money. He underestimated
    The market on Chandler and struck out. Also if it happened to be that Fegan
    Forced his hand with the Howard signing I doubt he would admit that in public.

I don't think anybody outside of Dallas would offered MAX to Chandler except
    For looser franchises like the Charlotte Hornets who are desperate. I think Cuban
    Just couldn't pass up on the opportunity to get one over Daryl and the Rockets,
    But ultimately I think he has made more damage to himself in the long run. This
    Was more about screwing the Rockets just cause he can and wanted to. It his
    Personality to do things like that.

2. Lando19

Lando19 Member

Short version of what he said: Flexibilty

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We need a strict scorer off the bench now a 6th man bobby Jackson type player. Too much pressure on Beverly to generate points from that position. He already has to lead the team in assists and play great defense. Maybe Isaih can do it not sure. He never exactly blew it up in Rio Grande.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If Cuban truly wanted to screw us over, I'm glad Morey didn't think emotionally and match Parsons just to screw the Mavs out of SF options.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I think shooting 37% from 3 (especially considering the amount of 3's they take down there) and avg 22 pts a game in the D league is pretty good.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think it's far-fetched to fear we may wind up with the 9th seed. Hell, we could win 50 games next year and not make the playoffs. That says more about the West than the Rockets, but them's the breaks.

We can compare Ariza's numbers to Parsons'. All I know is the Rockets did not play well when Parsons missed games last year. And when Dwight got hurt, we had Asik there to step in. Next year we won't have that luxury. And say what you will about Lin, but when the Rockets were getting off to a slow start last season, he was one of the few guys who was playing well out there.

Not to mention the biggest concern of all and it has nothing to do with our roster. Kevin McHale is still the coach and Kelvin Sampson has yet to be replaced. Anyone else remember how this team collapsed down the stretch in April once he left? In case you forgot, let me give you a 2-word reminder: Corey Brewer.

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

While I get what your saying your over reacting a little. Any team not just the rockets would be bad if they lost one of their best players to injury. The fact that we have harden and Howard gives us a big advantage over 90% of the league. Of course if either got hurt we would be in a bad position but that's the case if lebron gets hurt in clev or Blake griffin in LA. Sure I know harden or Howard can lead a team by themselves to the playoffs. But together their true contenders.

I think it's rather amusing that so many media members and fans are already righting the season off when we have the best center/big man in the game. And a young 24 yr old 1st team all nba player.

I think are future is just fine as long as we got those guys.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I dont think their starting 5 is weaker.. traded better defense, slightly less offense, and half the pay... I like it

9. count_dough-ku

Ordinarily I'd agree with that premise. But when you've got Kevin McHale as your coach...

10. rock34

rock34 Member

w
    100% agree with you. I personally think that Cuban saw what Morey was building
    And how close he was to shaping this roster to a truly Championship caliber team.
    He couldn't stand there and let the Mavericks just fall to third place in Texas while
    Watching the Spurs and Rox's compete for Championships.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It is clear you are still upset Lin is gone but you are overreacting thinking we won't make the playoffs next year. As long as Harden and Howard are healthy, we will make the playoffs. Nobody cares how Lin played the first month of the season as it is irrelevant and it took a little while for Howard and Harden to get chemistry.

And for the one playoff game you mentioned that Lin played well in (I forgot to address this in my previous response to you), what did he do the other 4? He literally lost 2 games for us. During the season Lin played probably 10-15 good games while playing 40+ ****ty games with a few mediocre games in between.

It is obvious you hate McHale and think he is the sole reason we are going to miss the playoffs next year in your opinion. I don't think he is a great coach either but he certainly isn't the worst coach in the league.

12. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

I just watched DMo get dunked all on in summer league against Portland. Don't look good if we're counting on him to help shore up the 4 position.

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think Morey's reply to this would be something along the lines of, "How do we land "someone of that ilk" if we'd matched Parsons? We wouldn't have the roster flexibility to make that trade if we'd matched Parsons."

Besides, Parsons would be the 4th option if we had somebody like Rondo or Love.

14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Well, not in those words, but one of the other interviews had (as question 1):

Host: "If you had to do it over again, would you pick up chandler parsons $1M option"
    DM: "Yeah, that's obviously one of the key decisions we made throughout there and obviously almost paid off; if you know everything about how things are going to play out.. you might look at that decision differently.... a lot goes into those decisions, way more then a lot of people might realize..."

Which is about as much as he said on the subject.

15. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

He could have kept Lin and the 1st rounder since we had no real reason to get rid of him anyways, if we weren't getting Bosh. Instead we lost the matching tool and a 1st round pick.

16. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Which, by the way, makes me wonder about Bimathug's conspiracy theory that part of getting Howard was agreeing to let Chandler go a year early...

17. count_dough-ku

I don't give a crap about Jeremy Lin. He was terrible in Games 2-4 of the Portland series other than that save and dish to Daniels. But he was the Rockets 6th best player and their backup PG and he's gone. We need someone to replace him and I don't feel very comfortable going into the season with Canaan or Johnson in that role.

I don't think McHale is the sole reason we could miss the playoffs next year. Our weakened roster is the biggest concern. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a lousy coach and should've been canned after that first round defeat to Portland.

18. So Good

So Good Member

Later on in the show, Jerome Solomon (one of the hosts) said that the reason Parsons option wasn't picked up was because they did an under the handshake with Dan Fegan.

A caller came on and asked why not pick up Parsons and his is how Jerome explained it...

- Parsons switched to Fegan before Dwight Howard signed with the Rockets.
    - Jerome said when Parsons switched to Fegan, Fegan asked if Morey would decline Parsons' option for the 2014-15 season and if he did, Fegan would try and get Dwight to Houston
    - Jerome said that they had to keep their end of the deal

He didn't say who told him but he just put that out there.

19. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I still don't get how the guys haven't asked him why he let Parsons become a RFA. This is the most important question in my book and the one we are clueless on.

20. So Good

So Good Member

See my post above. Listening to the tone and the way Jerome was talking, it seems like he was 100% certain.