1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DallasNews.com] Adelman the remedy Rockets need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Nov 11, 2007.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Adelman the remedy Rockets need

10:14 PM CST on Saturday, November 10, 2007

Don't take this as a knock of Jeff Van Gundy. His greatest failure was geography. Any coach who is in a division with San Antonio and Dallas will have his playoff position undermined.

But Rick Adelman is the right coach to nudge the Rockets past the first round, a place they haven't visited since Texas was a republic.

OK, it hasn't been quite that long. But it has been too long for a franchise that grew accustomed to championships under Hakeem Olajuwon.

I'm not making this proclamation because the Rockets are off to a 5-1 start. I make it because Adelman will build on the defensive identity Van Gundy established. I say this because Adelman's offensive creativity is what the Rockets need at this stage of their development.

It hasn't materialized yet. Houston sits in the bottom half of the league in scoring at 96.8 points and ranks in the bottom third in field goal percentage.

"I don't think we've been very good offensively," Adelman said. "We haven't found a really good balance to our team yet. That's going to take time."

Houston's struggles to make the transition should come as no surprise. Adelman was blessed in Sacramento with instinctive passers on the front line. Chris Webber, Brad Miller and Vlade Divac often initiated the offense in the team's half-court sets. They would see the pass before it opened up.

Yao Ming and Chuck Hayes? Not so much. So Adelman is simplifying what he asks Yao, Hayes and his other big men to recognize in order to get a play started. He wants to find a way to get Shane Battier more shots. And he wants to put the ball in Tracy McGrady's hands on the elbow a little more.

"I think it's going to develop," Adelman said of how much he asks McGrady to take on in this offense.

"I think the biggest thing with a guy like Tracy is you have to give him a variety of ways to attack the other team so they can't lock in on him so much."

The other priority is to get a feel for the best way to use Yao – when to post him up high or down low – and for how long.

"That is something I've got to find out," Adelman said. "I've played him both ways. I've given him a short rest where he doesn't play long minutes and other times I've played him a whole quarter. Personally, I think he's better not playing a whole quarter."

The defensive principles Van Gundy instilled gives the players and Adelman time to figure all this out. Houston's defense ranks in the top 10 in scoring and field goal percentage.

"The team's identity defensively is something I don't want to lose," Adelman said. "There are too many guys here, Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier, Rafer Alston who are very comfortable and smart defensively.

"I know the offense isn't going to all come at once so we'd better keep that identity."

Defense is why the Rockets are off to a 5-1 start.

But a better offense is what should lift Houston past the first round.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Further proof that Alston's place in the starting lineup is secure? :(

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

So what?
    I'm happy as long as he plays 20 mpg.

4. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Right, as long as James or someone else gets the starter minutes.

5. Man-Dingo

Man-Dingo Member

IMO 20mpg is still a lot for trigger-happy Rafer

6. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

adelman giving rafer his props :cool:

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I am starting to get really, really annoyed with all these premature proclamations that Adelman was somehow the "missing piece" all along, when statistically the Rockets seem no different from last season (may be even worse, in some cases).

Oh well, it's the nature of sports journalism these days...

#7 tigermission1, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  8. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

No more annoyed than I was watching a JVG coached team. It looks like basketball again! :D

9. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i agree. adlelman is the missing piece.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

from this interview, u know he's emphasizing balance. so i really do think he asked tmac to reduce his shot attempts after that dallas game.

as the team gets more acclimated, then he will resume the set plays for tmac.

but i like what he wants out o yao now. just simplify it for the big guy.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They may be the same statistically but stats don't always tell the whole story. I think I've seen Yao and T-Mac get more easy buckets than they got all of last season. Ok, I'm going overboard a bit but they are getting easier shots, and the team is actually scoring off the break.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Along with the offensive rebounding, one stat is clearly not the same.

Yao Ming's minutes per game

During the JVG era: 33

This year: 38

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

IMO, Yao looked a lot better earlier last season than thus far this season.