1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Texans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Aug 20, 2000.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

I was just watching the Cowboys/Broncos game on TV and they interviewed an official (I think it was Jerry Jones' son) about the new Cowboy's owned Arena football team called the "Dallas Texans".

Now I'm not a big fan of the "Texans" as a name for the new Houston NFL franchise, but this would appear to be a rather direct slap in the face for Bob McNair.

Anyone know anything about this, and whether "Texans" is now even possible for Houston now that it is owned by the Cowboys?

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, the facts are true. Jerry Jones was awarded an expansion franchise in the Arena Football League and it has been named (tentatively, at least) the Texans.

What this means, we don't know. But considering that Jerry Jones and Bob McNair are actually pretty chummy, one would think that Jones at least spoke to McNair about the name.

My opinion is that Jones wouldn't be naming his team that unless the Houston NFL franchise wasn't going to be called the Texans, but maybe McNair doesn't mind there being two pro football team in the state called Texans.

------------------

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

davo,

That was the original name of the Cowboys before they changed their name to Cowboys. I'm not sure whether this affects the Houston franchise in their selection of a name, but I hope it does. I don't care for the name Houston Texans as a football team name.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

There are other cases of teams in different sports / leagues with the same name. Considering that the AFL teams get very little coverage in their home cities -- and zero coverage outside that, I don't think it would be a problem.

In fact, I think that having the same name would cause more confusion for the Dallas team, than it ever would for the Houston team.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

5. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

The Houston Stallions sounds a lot better to me instead of the Houston Texans. Naming us the Texans just sounds ridiculous.

6. mrpaige

Just for the record, the Cowboys were never named the Texans. The KC Chiefs began play as the Dallas Texans in 1960 and later became the KC Chiefs. There was also an NFL Dallas Texans that played in the '50s that kind of became the Baltimore Colts (and a previous Arena team called the Dallas Texans), but the Cowboys were never the Texans.

------------------

7. mrpaige

I just cannot believe that McNair would tell Jones that it was cool with him to name his AFL team the Texans unless McNair had already decided to not use Texans for the Houston NFL team.

We've seen from the articles in the Chronicle and elsewhere that the two of them talk to each other. Jones and McNair were just talking the other day about their lobbying the NFL to pit the Cowboys vs. the Houston franchise in the first Monday Night game in 2002. And McNair has said many times that he has relied on Jones for council and advice.

There's just no way that Jones wouldn't have known that McNair was considering the Texans name for the NFL franchise. And as much as McNair credits Jones for getting the expansion franchise in Houston, I can't imagine that Jones would name his team Texans and show up McNair (the Dallas Texans could have two seasons under their belt before the Houston NFL franchise plays their first game).

Maybe I am wrong and McNair just doesn't care about other teams being called the Texans (especially since the AFL Texans would be much lower profile), but it just seems odd to me that Jones would choose to use the same name as his friend in Houston is using for his team (and I suspect that Jones knows which name McNair has actually picked for the Houston franchise). Seems to me that Jones would pick another name if Texans was going to be in use in Houston.

------------------

8. Gascon

Gascon Member

I like "The Houston Mustangs".....SMU be damned. However, I will take Stallions over Texans any day. I'll just swallow a little Texan pride..... [​IMG]

------------------
    "Have I not here the best cards in the game to win this easy match played for a crown?....."

Bill Shakespeare

9. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Lamar Hunt founded the American Football League in 1960 with his Dallas Texans franchise.
    They became the KC Chiefs.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We should lynch whomever came up with the name Houston Texans. IT IS THE WORST, MOST OBVIOUS NAME AVAILABLE. IT TOOK 2 SECONDS TO THINK THIS UP. Texans...boy those are fighting words...woo hoo....remember the Alamo...yee haw. Until Mexico joins the NFL or another team comes along called the Apaches, the Navajos, the Commanche, etc.. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DITCH THE TEXANS NAME. Oh...now the Houston team...it's not just the city's team...it's the state of Texas's team. When you think of Texas, you will think of Houston Football. YEAH WHEN I THINK OF TEXAS/HOUSTON AND NFL, I THINK OF HOUSTON-BUFFALO BLOW IT UP YOUR ASS BIGGEST FLOP IN NFL HISTORY. I THINK OF WHO PAYED OFF WARREN MOON DURING HALFTIME TO BOTCH THE GAME. I THINK OF WHAT WAS ALL THAT DANCING BS IN THE END ZONE IN THE FIRST HALF WHEN THE GAME WAS YET TO BE HALF OVER. I THINK OF MORONS.

So, there you have it...don't ruin the Texas name with another lopsided playoff blow-up. Find another name to ruin...one that makes sense for the city of Houston without laying claim to all of Texas.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...AHHH AHHH AHHH

Surf

------------------

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Man-
    Its time to move past that Buffalo game. Just move one. It was a long time ago and you dont have to think about it anymore. We are getting a new franchise associated in now way with that game. SO take a deep breathe and move on [​IMG]

Also, the name Texans does suck. I personally like Apollos the best, as another horse is almost as bad as Texans. Appollos would be cool with a lighting kind of logo or something. Cheesy, but cool anyway. ANd I know you guysdont really like the cheesy new uniforms and turquoise and other colors ala the Titans, but the TItans gear is selling like crazy and the colors arent horrible. I would prefer something a little more classy but definitely something that looks damn good. I really am more excited to see the unis to hear what the name will be.

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

NEVER!!! AHH AHH AHH AHH!!!!

I WILL NEVER FORGET THE WORST MOMENT AND NIGHTMARE IN MY LIFE! THE NEW TEAM WILL SUFFER UNDER MY WRATH IF THEY REPEAT THE CATASTROPHE! I don't want the good name of all of Texas contaminated, too, if that happens. Let's get rid of football and give the new stadium to the Rockets...all in favor....say I!

I know...I'm being silly. But the new name is horrible. I sure won't be buying any of the new merchandise. What are they going to do...put a redneck on the jersey as the logo and have a redneck run around the games as our mascot? Spare us...please. How does that name make any sense to the city of Houston football team? [​IMG]

Surf

------------------

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think this is absolutely an indication of what the team name will be. I was on another pro football web site talking about the new name for the franchise once. Someone suggested Rattlers, but apparently that name is used by an Arena League team in Arizona. Apparently there is some loose affiliation between the NFL and the Arena League where they don't want to use each other's names. This is especially true since McNair has said time and time again that he wants a name that is ENTIRELY unique..that no other existing pro sports franchise has (whether that be hockey, baseball, basketball or football). I think having another football team (albeit, an arena league team) with the same name is unthinkable for McNair. Given the friendly relationship between McNair and Jerry Jones, I'm guessing that Jones knew already that McNair was not going to name his team the Texans. I mean, let's be honest, the decision about our new NFL team's name and logo has probably been made for some time now. They're just waiting to announce it around the first week of the season. I think that means we're probably looking at the Apollos or the Stallions.

Anyway...just my thoughts on this. They're not worth much, but I read this article in the Chronicle on Sunday and it really grabbed my attention...especially since local sportswriters have been calling our new team the Texans for some time now!!

------------------

14. mrpaige

The loose affiliation between the NFL and the AFL being that the NFL owns something in the neighborhood of 50% of the AFL. (And four NFL owners now own AFL teams.)

------------------

15. dc sports

dc sports Member

You know, you've got a point.

The AFL is slowly emerging as a minor league of sorts for the NFL. That benefit's probably going to be used more now that the superbowl champion QB is an AFL alum.

It would make it more difficult if there was cross-naming involved.

------------------
    Stay Cool...