1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dallas] NFL player's police saga at Plano hospital captured on dash cam

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Air Langhi, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Fatty FatBastard

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Please see my post about what I said to Moats' favor, and erase it. "Stop talking" by a police officer means STFU, and he keeps talking. The police officer, in my opinion, should be suspended, but he had the right to be upset also from Moats ordering him "Check the insurance!". Points off for not just cooperating. Mr. Moats, just do what he asks and it will be faster. :eek: Why couldn't he wait 30 seconds for a red light, huh? I understand circumstance, but... yeah the officer was also not understanding.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Do police officers have the right to make you stop talking? I thought you could say anything but what you said could be used against you.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You expecting rational though while your mom is dying in a hospital?

Rocket River

5. SwoLy-D

6. Lil Pun

No, it was his mother-in-law. Depending upon their relationship though, she could have been very much like his own mother to him.

7. SwoLy-D

^ Ok, so I agree with that. That lady should have NEVER stormed out of the car screaming at the police officer, though. Is that agreeable?
    Which is exactly what happened and now everyone blames ONLY the police officer. Don't you agree?

8. Lil Pun

The lady didn't storm out of the car, if you look at the video it looks like she is trying to rush in the hospital. She only starts talking to the cop once he yells at her.

Moats did explain the situation as well before he started getting smart. Like others have said, the cop could have went in and confirmed this.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You expecting rational though while your mom is dying in a hospital?

Rocket River

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

A cop would never let another passenger just walk off like that...unless he had some inclination it was true.

Imagine a passenger walking away from the scene in the middle of a traffic stop on the side of the road. He'd call for 10 cars to back him up while he chased them down.

Instead of confirming the story, he let his ego get in the way and decided to give Moats a hard time to show who's boss.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He may yet get fired, but it helps when you are part of a union.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Well that, plus, technically speaking, he probably followed the letter of his 'duty' to a fault.

You can't really fire someone for NOT violating the letter of the law.

Unless there is more to this than 'Department Posturing' following an embarrassing incident, and the officer violated specific written department policy, then (while what he did was classless and inhuman), they might not be able to do more than issue a reprimand, and then re-write official policy to cover such events.

On that note, are there any law officers reading this who can shed light on, say, Houston's PD 'Official Policy' regarding such incidents?

13. SwoLy-D

Aw, c'mon. Y'all are saying these non-cooperative people had the right to do so many things none of YOU in your right mind would have done. Yes, someone was dying, but, how long does a traffic stop take... what, 10, 15 minutes? The stop was 17 minutes (and one of those minutes was the pursuit)... and that was because they argued... if no argument had taken place, it wouldn't have taken that long.

ON TOP OF THAT, watch the 17-minute video from the beginning, and you will see he doesn't make a complete stop at ANY STOP SIGN. How's that? Is that OK? 1 second for every stop sign. :eek: Might as well just speed your ass through all the streets.

"To show who's boss", professorjay?? You don't think a guy with a badge is boss and can tell you to stop? If all your prejudice about a police officer guide you to believe that he's not "authority" or "boss", then I can't really help anyone there, sir :( . [I am not saying YOU, specifically, but people, in general, about what they think about police officers.]

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I’m sure if a loved one of yours was minutes away from death (the nurse confirmed this when she came out and explained, plus the lady died during the traffic stop) and the entrance to the emergency room was 20 yards away, you wouldn’t have a problem waiting for a cop to finish his paperwork on your red light ticket. Come on, swoly.

I just watched the video. To be honest, the cop didn’t really do anything wrong in the beginning because he had no idea if the story was true or not. The first 3 or 4 minutes of the video, I didn’t really see anything wrong. But at about 5 minutes, Moats calmed down and started saying “yes sir” to everything, THAT’S when the cop starts to get an attitude. By then, the cops knows damn well what’s going on and he should have swallowed his pride and just let him go. Hell, put the ticket on his windshield if you’re so eager to write him one, but let him go.

THEN, after he’s done writing the ticket and after the security people and the nurse have come and asked the cop to let him go, he STILL gives him a lecture about “attitude”. That was totally over the top. Not to mention him laughing about it after he finally let Moats go.

In short, the cop had every right to do what he did…..but that doesn’t mean it was the right thing to do. A more seasoned veteran cop would have probably figured everything out in the first 3 or 4 minutes, swallowed his pride and just let the guy go see his Mother in Law.

15. SwoLy-D

^^ All this is true. I agree, the cop should have let it go. and that part of your post says it all: "the cop had every right to do what he did…..but that doesn’t mean it was the right thing to do." :eek:

I wonder if they train them to be "a little human". Yeah, many peeps were incorrect in this issue, maybe ALL.

I commend Mr. Moats, however, for staying CALM in the midst of all this... where others would have reacted differently... :(

#115 SwoLy-D, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

What's with this officer and NFL player's wives?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4024877

(Interesting to me, by the way, that when the Chief of Police, who has gone on record in the past defending his officers when he believes they are right even when there's been public outcry, so he's not one to just bow to political pressure or for PR reasons) says this officer's actions were wrong and that the department has started the process to fire him, but people in here are still defending him. We're supposed to trust that near-rookie officer knew what was right and had every right to do what he did, but the very experienced Chief doesn't know what's right and shouldn't disagree with the officer's right to do what he did?).

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Was is this cop getting suspended again? He sounds like 90% of the police I've encounterd in my lifetime.

18. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Wow, arrested for making an illegal u-turn. She got 5 tickets from this guy. This guy is Power hungry. Running a red light, no proof of insurance, improper address on license, and registration sticker tickets were given to her as well. Please fire this clown.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have a lot of old friends that became cops, and to a man they all changed and became power hungry after doing it....

And honestly, not a single one of them was all that sharp to begin with.....not the sharpest tools in the shed for the most part.

There should be some humanity training for these guys.....if Cops want respect, they should give it as well, it is a two way street, and they are working for me.....my tax dollars pay their salary.

It would be interesting if someone actually decided to check into their SIDE jobs and whether the income was reported or unreported? Most of the guys I know work security at Apartments (for free rent) or at night clubs...and do not report their income.

Again, not all that sharp to start with.....

DD

20. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I hope the punk never, ever gets to wear a badge again. I don't care what logic you use, there's no way you can justify to me throwing a woman in jail for making an illegal U-turn. Ridiculous.