1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dallas Morn. News] Dallas, Houston like day and night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Apr 23, 2005.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Thanks...I've heard it all before so many times ya know.

It's one of Jordan's regret, I think someone asked him if there was anything he wished more from his career and he said something along the lines that he wished he could have played against the Houston Rockets in the finals.

If that's not respect, i don't know what is. You have to wonder what went through Jordan's head as he the team that knocked him out of the playoffs just get dismantled. You know he never knocked the Rockets...never said that he'd have 8 rings. And you know he didn't want Utah that year, you knew he wanted the Rockets so badly. Forget what other people think, we know the truth.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

That was cold.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I don't really understand how the two cities really have any sort of rivalry. Houston teams rarely play Dallas teams, and this is one of the few times we've met with any real importance to the games. Every time the two cities meet, the media tries to manufacture this "Houston - Dallas" rivalry, ignoring the fact that Houston's sports successes have been in things Dallas has sucked at (basketball) and Dallas' successes have been at sports Houston hasn't had nearly as much success in (football).

The Mavericks have pretty much defined mediocrity, and the Rangers are one of the few MLB teams that have a lesser history than the Astros. The Cowboys are the real deal. They might suck right now, but they've got a track record as good as just about anyone in NFL history, so they have that on us. Although that 19-10 game was nice :) But the Rockets are to the Mavericks what the Cowboys are to the Oilers/Texans. Houston has been to four NBA finals series, winning two. Just look at the rafters - Dallas has Rolando Blackmon and Brad Davis as their retired jerseys while the Rockets have guys like Moses Malone and Hakeem Olajuwon up there.

Now the Spurs and Rockets, that's a good rivalry. SA's had Houston's number lately, but the Hakeem-David Robinson battles are legendary, and the two cities both have excellent histories with great players and two championships each. The Spurs and Rockets are on one level and the Mavericks are at least three notches below. It's not even close . . .

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You are kidding right?

I love the Rockets, but its more like:

Houston - 2 championships (WNBA is not a sport)
    Dallas - 5 Superbowls (NHL doesn't count cause it sucks)

6. NewYorker

When two franchises have a long history of playing eachother, it's a great rivalry. But that rivalry loses bite after teams change. And it never carries over to the cities. Houstonians will never knock San Antonio as a city. Seattle and Houston? who cares anymore? Astros Reds? Not exciting.

Rivalries between cities never do die. They last, and they actually carry over to the teams. Need proof - look at Boston and NY. Cleveland vs. Cinncinati. Detroit and Chicago. It's not just the basketball teams, it's the football and baseball teams as well. It's the fans desire to be the regional supreme.

San Antonio is a nice little town....but Dallas....Dallas is the big city that competes with Houston as the grandest city in Texas. That's much bigger. And I guarantee that this series will get nastier as it flips between locales.

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I'm pist b/c the writer left the UH.

Anyways, Dallas Sux!

8. Vengeance

But the cities really aren't rivals in sports. Maybe Houston and Dallas have a personal rivalry because we're a big city and they're a big city, and we think they are not really Texans and they think we are a cow-town or whatever. But in sports, we aren't rivals. The Mavericks and Rockets have never really been good at the same time, the Rangers and Astros aren't even in the same League, and the Oilers/Texans versus the Cowboys isn't really a contest. The Cowboys and Oilers had sort of a rivalry, I guess, but the Oilers were really rivals with the Steelers more than the Cowboys.

Just because two cities have a history of playing each other doesn't make it a rivalry. The teams need to have fairly consistently faced off against each other in important games, and I think there should be some sort of equity between them. Rockets-Mavs is not a rivalry because the teams have only met twice in the postseason, and the Rockets have been consistently good with the Mavericks being consistently bad. Thus, there isn't really any equity between the teams. The Mavericks have never done anything meaningful. But the Rockets have met the Spurs several times in the playoffs and the Rockets have won before and the Spurs have won before. I also think the Rockets kind of have a rivalry with the Jazz, what with the Rockets having played against the Jazz in the playoffs so many times in the past decade and the games being so tremendously hard-fought.

This might be the beginning of some sort of Rockets-Mavs, Houston-Dallas sports rivalry, but I really just don't see it.

#28 Vengeance, Apr 24, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  9. NewYorker

I am just saying that the hate between these two cities will carry onto the playing floor before it's all said and done. I hope so at least. How much would it suck to have Dallas fans and players praising Houston at the end.

I want the Dallas players to know that they doubly let their fans down...once for losing, and twice for losing to Houston. That is how rivalries are instantly born.

10. Vengeance

I think you have a point -- I would hate to lose to Dallas a LOT more than say to Sacramento. As fans, there's definitely some bad blood between the cities.

11. YaoMing

YaoMing Contributing Member

This guy is trying to say that Dallas is the best city in Texas, but then he puts down Houston for being too Texan???

Yeah.... Dallas is truly a cultural city (lol).

Dallas is just the place people stop to take a $hit when travelling from Los Angeles to New York!

Houston is the true center of Texas, and we all know it!!

12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

LOL!!:D If I knew how to make a sig, that would be it!:D

13. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I guess inderlying this clown's assessment of the greatness of Dallas' teams is the Cowboy dynasty. In that case, this punk is livin' in the past, and needs to be reminded of just one score, that being 19 to 10.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If we count the IHL doesn't Houston have more pro-hockey titles than Dallas? I seem to recall the Aeros dominating before Dallas even considered having a pro-hockey team.

On top of that I'm pretty sure the Stro's have done better than the Rangers in the playoffs.

I agree with most of the posts that this article is almost sheer stupidity especially in the context of the the Rox / Mavs series. As been pointed out the Rox have been to the Championships four times and won it all twice and taken the Celtics in their 80's heydays to 6 games along with beating the 80's Lakers in their heyday. I don't remember if the Mavs of the Mark Agguire or Dirk Nowitzki era have even been to the WCF let alone the Championship.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If you arent joking....

user control panel(link up to the right hand side towards the top)
    then edit profile...it is towards the bottom

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Man, I can't believe the mighty Pantera was born in that silly town.