1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Keuchel, Who Can No Longer Be Ignored

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xcrunner51, May 20, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

Cammy in his early years was one of the best I've ever seen at going to his right. Reflexes and arm were all-world.

I remember when we got Castilla, he really impressed me with his hands and positioning. Wasn't the most athletic guy anymore but he knew how to play 3rd. Like you said, his most impressive play was charging a dribbler down the line, barehand it, throw a strike - across his body - to 1st.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Rodon will be at the top. Appel will be 4th, unless he is packaged in a trade for a positional player.

3. J Hard

J Hard Member

Its sad to hear the negative reviews of Appel. I havent kept up much with his development consistently but from whay I hear, its seems like we missed on our number 1 pick o-o
    Having the #1 pick is golden, you have to hit on that pick.

Does anyone think he will be worth the pick going forward?

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

I don't think they would pick him at 1.1 if they could do it over.

That said, he's a looong ways away from being a bust. He's just off to an extremely rocky start.

5. Buck Turgidson

Appel in EST is purely a physical deal. Apparently, after the surgery/recovery and lack of a real spring training, he was just not bodily ready to pitch; it was also mentioned that he was unaccustomed to the tandem system, pitching every 4 days. Has nothing to do with his arm or pitchability or such.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Or, those are the excuses/hopes for his struggles, at least.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

So Keuchel is the black, football Jeremy Lin?

Nice to see that there's some chance his success can be sustained and not just good luck.

8. Buck Turgidson

Yes, you could think that way. Based on what, I dunno, but you could. It's too early to get worried (unless it's a conspiracy? ****!).

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Loss of velocity is one of the signs of future injury.

10. Buck Turgidson

Yes, and? Talking about Appel? We don't know what he's throwing right now. They say he's about ready to rejoin a team, we'll see, but it's crazy to freak out or second-guess anything at this point.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not freaking out, just concerned.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Buck will tell you when you can and can't be concerned. Let it go like Idina Menzel.

13. Buck Turgidson

No, but what's the point? We don't know anything. He might have the Bolivian Rotator Cuff AIDS for all we know.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

It stands to reason that a fan would want a polished collegiate stud who was drafted at 1.1 to come in and immediately lay waste to his minor league competition.

Something far from that has happened, while draftees who could have easily been taken in his stead are doing just that.

Things haven't gone smoothly, there's a pretty hefty amount of importance that he is carrying, and peoples be concerned. Not really unreasonable.

15. Buck Turgidson

First full year of pro ball. No, it hasn't started swimmingly, but the guy hasn't had 1 single spring training under his belt. We don't even know enough to know what we don't know about him yet. Don't you have to just sit back and watch for a bit?

"Fan" expectations vs. "baseball" expectations are often 2 vastly different things.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As are expectations for a 4 year college pitcher who was touted as the consensus #1 pick two years in a row.

In the end, more #1 pick pitchers go on to pedestrian/non all-star careers vs. succeeding... so the concern is valid.

I did like how he looked against that Mexican team, though...

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, I'm quite sure "baseball" expectations for pitchers taken 1.1 are much higher than what Appel's showing right now. It may be that he'll revert to form once his injury gets better. But don't act like 4yr college pitchers aren't suppose to do well immediately when they're drafted near the top. Generally they perform very well and move through the system fast.. at least the ones that pans out do.

18. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

It is pretty early to write off Appel, and if he really was injured due to starting the year too quick, we should tap the brakes... it is May of his first full professional season.

Also... how bout that Keuchel?? Nice to have a starter that you can look forward to seeing! I generally watch Quick Pitch in the mornings, and I am hoping he gets some buzz leading into his next start.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree that there should be some concern just as there should be for other players who move up a level and have problems.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My current view is that Keuchel's floor is BoR with his ceiling being either a No.1 or No.2 starter. This is a drastic change in my view of Keuchel from a month ago. Is it too early to give him that ceiling.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-most-improved-pitchers-thus-far-by-projected-war-2/

1. Dallas Keuchel, LHP, Houston (Profile)
    Projection (PRE): 68 IP, 6.0 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 1.0 HR/9, 4.23 FIP, 0.4 WAR
    Projection (ROS): 104 IP, 6.5 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9, 3.93 FIP, 1.1 WAR

Based on that projection, Keuchel would finish with an ERA around 3.56...a solid No. 2. Personally, I think Keuchel will have a FIP (and by extension ERA) below 3.93 for the rest of the season.