1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas - Houston Scrimmage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CriscoKidd, Aug 3, 2003.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm half-watching this.

Houston can't do ****. Can't run the ball, can't protect David Carr(or any qb for that matter). False starts, holding, 8 sacks, batted down balls, the whole works.

Dallas is moving it almost at will with both qbs. No pressure on either. Quincy led them to the 10 and a field goal. Hutchinson threw a pretty good td pass. Even the rbs are doing pretty good.

Houston is moving it a little now with more of the scubs in. 17 yard screen pass to Wells. ~15 yard pass from Quin.

Good thing the Texans have another month to get it together. Their showing tonite is bleh.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Is it barely showing now in Houston, or am I missing something? I saw most of it earlier and it didn't look good for you Texan fans. I felt sorry for Carr. He didn't have a chance to do anything today and I felt for him when he threw in one the ground. Being a Cowboy fan, I'm ok with the play. While they appeared to "dominate" I realize it is just a scrimmage and the Texans just seemed to play terrible. IIRC, the Cowboys also beat them last year in the scrimmage but got embarassed by the time the season came along, so I know they still have work to do.

QC and CH both looked good with the slight edge going to CH IMO. RB's were ok, especially that guy Lee. For the first time in a while, I also got to see how a TE and FB can get used on offense. Good job Parcells! :)

Guess I'll see more of this later. Is is a week till we play again? I forgot.:confused:

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm just watching it now. I'm not even sure if they're showing it in Houston.

And ya, it is just a scrimmage, but I still thought it would be a little more competitive.

20-0 now.

4. RC Cola

Guess I could have looked in your profile to see you weren't "located" in Houston. :eek: I was just wondering why no Texan, or Cowboy fans for that matter, hadn't gone crazy by now. I was about to start a thread about it, but didn't want to be killed by Texan fans. :eek:

I could tell it just seemed as though the Texans weren't into it. I would try and get excited, thinking playoffs already, then remember scrimmage and poor play by the Texans. However, I heard that the Texans did realy well in the morning workout. I think I heard Gary Walker, I believe, was manhandling Larry Allen. Allen seems to be a little rusty and I saw him get pushed down in camp, but it is still not very easy to manhandle him.

BTW, just wanted to mention that I really like what Parcells is doing. I read a story that Antonio Bryant caught a TD in practice and celebrated by throwing it into the stands. Parcells called his name, and Bryant ran a lap. When AB got back, Parcells just wanted to tell him that the scoreboard was on or something like that. Let's just say the team is real disciplined now. :)

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It was only a scrimmage people, get a grip on the pigskin for pete sake.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't know about the offense, but as far as the Texans defense goes, they rested all of the veterans. It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same for the offense. The scrimmage wasn't televised in Houston, though they did have pre and postgame coverage.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

None of the defensive starters played in the night game and 3 of the starters on the offensive line were hurt. The Texans will look much better next week against the Broncos.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yeah, we know it wasn't a scrimmage. It's only in the friggin title and just about everyone's posts. :rolleyes:

ah, that explains it. I knew they were missing some people, but I didn't think it was that much. Still, I was hoping the Texans could do a lil more on offense, even w/o a whole OL intact.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Capers and Casserly were trying to let most of the backups, and we're talking 3rd or 4th stringers, get some reps and plays in to see who makes the team.

The Cowgirls already know (more or less, lets not touch that crappy QB scenario) who is going to play, so they are working on letting the offense gel.

Preseason is worthless, and SCRIMMAGE is even more worthless. Bring on the regular season already.

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Atleast Carr hooked up with AJ late in the game, hopefully we see that alot come the regular season.

Hollings supposely took some shots to his knees and he was fine, but he couldnt bounce outside like he did in college, but the fact that he took some shots unharmed is pretty encourging. Hopefully the Texans will show signs of improvement next week against Denver, mainly in the offensive line. BTW does anybody know if preseason games are cheaper as opposed to regular season games? I may try to go next weekend provided that tickets are available ( I doubt it) and it wouldnt cost an arm and a leg to get inside.

11. RC Cola

Does anybody know much about the OL guy that got hurt on the Texans? I heard he tore his ACL. I just wanted to know if he was high on the Texan's list or just a scrub or something. If he was pretty good, then the Texan's must have the worst luck with the OL.

I know it is just a scrimmage, but I am just pumped just to say football players on a field,breaking tackles and getting tackled. If summer league can get me pumped, I know this can. :)

As for injuries, yeah, I think the Cowboys only had one guy out that had been practicing while the Texans had like 11 or something like that.

I missed the end of the game, basically when Houston finally scored. Wished I could have seen it. I wanted to see how good AJ was.

Good luck next week against Denver. I never really liked that team.

Now the Cowboys have to shut up Emmitt next week. :D

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The offensive tackle that was hurt is Jimmy Herdon.

13. RC Cola

I heard his name, but I was curious as to whether he was a big piece for the Texans or just a guy trying to make the team.

However, not long after I posted, I looked at the other thread about the depth chart and saw he was like 3rd string LT or something like that. So I kind of got my answer I guess.