1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Cowboys 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Francis3422, May 4, 2014.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

From what the coaches and scouts from Dallas are saying is that they only believed three players were elite pass rushing de's and Lawrence was the third behind clowney and Barr.

I think it was way overpaid because i feel they got tunnel vision. A lot of good players were sliding and Lawrence may have been there at the original pick. But if you like a guy and believe what they do i don't have a problem being active and going out and getting him.

I would have preferred to stand pat and draft ealy if Lawrence was gone and pick up nix in the third. I hope Lawrence shows up.

2. dc1985

dc1985 Member

judging by the way the draft is going, I like the pick more. From what I'm seeing on the War Room cam and hearing they aren't very high on the DT in this draft especially the 1 technique only. They dont like Nix because they dont feel he is disciplined enough and may eat himself out of the league. I thought Lawrence was going to be a late 1st early second, and seeing we need a RDE he was clearly the best after Clowney and Barr. Still think a DT is coming in round 7 and maybe a QB too. Enjoying this draft so far.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mini-camp invites or UDFAs signed
    QB Dustin Vaughan
    QB Kolton Browning
    RB Ben Malena
    RB Glasco Martin
    FB J.C. Copeland
    WR Chris Boyd
    WR L'Damian Washington
    TE Evan Wilson
    TE Jordan Najvar
    OT Jarrod Pughsley
    G Brian Clarke
    G Ronald Patrick
    OL Andre Cureton
    OL Josh Aladenoye
    DE Davon Coleman
    DT Chris Whaley
    LB Dontavis Sapp
    LB Joe Windsor
    LB Keith Smith
    S Marvin Robinson
    S Ryan Smith
    DB Jocquel Skinner
    P Cody Mandell
    LS Casey Kreiter

4. dc1985

dc1985 Member

Going to go out on a huge limb here and say QB, Dustin Vaughan and FB, J. C Coleman make the team. WR L'Damain Washington will be on the practice squad. And either DE, Davon Coleman or DT, Chris Whaley will make the team and other on the practice squad. Also think TE, Jordan Najvar will be a practice squad guy however if they don't keep the fullback he will make the team outright.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Giving up a 3rd to move up 14 spots to get a guy who might not start lulz

6. dc1985

dc1985 Member

Who Lawrence? He going to start day 1. Not even a question.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea Lawrence is going to be the RDE. I have watched a few games and then his scouting tapes and I am a believer. He needs to pack on about 10 pounds of strength.

Dallas hasn't had much luck on the health front the last couple years. If that turns around, the line could be ok. If both Melton and Spencer can return to form we will be fairly strong there.

Overall I give them a B. Like the Martin pick considering Donald was off the board. Martin/Frederick/Leary/Smith is a extremely young and talented group of O linemen.

Yes... I think Lawrence starts day 1 and gets 6 sacks next year.

Not sure about the 4th round pick but the 5th (WR-Street) and then the 7th rounders contain some promise IMO. I really like the DT-Bishop.

BUT.... A bit disappointed that we didn't add 3 starters. I think with such a deep draft that should have been the goal. But I really like both Martin and new Demarcus.

8. dc1985

dc1985 Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lawrence gets 8 sacks. I really like the kid I wouldn't of blinked if they would of traded down in the 1st to say Cleveland at 26 and took Lawrence there. The only pick I'm struggling with is Hitchens. Because that's a back up player/special teams. Plus he's not as fast as I would like for our system. We could of drafted Kevin Perier Louis or Telvin Smith to compete for starting spot. But I think we did pick up 3 starters. Martin, Lawrence are starters and Street will be defacto starter because I think he will be the primary #3 WR and we use a lot of 3 WR sets. Also Ken Bishop can compete for the starting one Technique spot currently held by Hyden. But look for JC Copeland the UDFA FB I think he makes the team as the starting FB. And Davon Coleman might factor into the rotation at the 1 technique also maybe to the point he might push Hyden for a roster spot. All that said I'm 100% confident our D-Line will be much better this year and I'm not even factoring Anthony Spencer into the mix.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I love every video I see of Bishop. Hadn't seen him before the draft though.

The Hitchens pick is a head scratcher. Now, we do draft better lately so who knows....

We need Lawrence to stay healthy.

10. dc1985

dc1985 Member

I was listening to the draft coverage on the cowboys app and they were pushing Bishop starting in the 5th round. And every video I see of him I really like. Hitchens is the head scratcher, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Lawrence needs to be healthy but the same can be said about every on on the defense.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lost the injury-prone Sean Lee again.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

WHY GOD WHY?????

LOL...... First day OTA and we lose the best player on our defense. Not to mention he is the best player on our defense despite the fact that he is always injured. Lee needs to retire and coach.

I love my Cowboys but they are probably going to struggle if Lee is indeed lost for the year. The hope was really that everything would balance out and he would remain healthy this year.

Terrible contract by Jones because he has always been injury prone and I should be GM of the Cowboys.

That being said.... Lee is a true professional, a superb person, works harder than anyone on the team. I feel truly bad for this guy and he was/is a great player to watch when healthy. One of the most instinctive linebackers I have seen.

This is the equivalent of Houston losing Watt. This is already bad. Really praying Romo sits for the year as well and we let Brandon Weeden lose 13 games for us.

13. Mr. Clutch

Cowboys should be pretty good now that they have 5 coordinators.

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Here we come again 8-8... smh :rolleyes:

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Seems like a really great guy and I feel bad for him. Very glad he already got paid.

This is a tough pill for the Cowboys and their fans. What a way to start OTAs.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was glad to see Cushing watching today's OTAs.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There goes my keeper in Smegs league.

18. Mr. Clutch

Lol the cowboys suck!

-Texans fan

19. dc1985

dc1985 Member

This my friends is why you draft a middle linebacker in round 4 like we did. I love Sean Lee and when he's healthy he is one of the best MLB in the league. Problem is he is never healthy. I didn't count on him being healthy all season anyway. Even with his injury I have no issue saying right now this defense is better than the defense last season. Is it good enough to make the playoffs probably not but it's not 2-14 bad either. I've heard to many people out of Iowa and to many SEC backers say don't write off Anthony Hitchens since the draft and a couple in the last 24 hours saying Dallas will realize they got one of the steals of the draft now. If this was going to happen its best it happens now. Now either Durant, Hollowman, or Hitchens can step up win a job and have time to gel together to form a defense somewhere in the 20-25 range in the league. They won't be great but won't be god awful again either.

Also nice there saying Cowboys suck from a Texans fan. Didn't you just go 2-14? If we suck your not even relevant to the league. That's the difference between Cowboys fans and Texans fans. Texans fans love to trash talk the Cowboys all the time. Cowboys fans don't care that the Texans even exist. All we care about is our own team.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly, the Cowboys would have been better off going 2-14 one of these past seasons, rather than the 8-8 and missing the playoffs.

In the grand scheme of things, the Cowboys are no closer to making the playoffs or winning the Super Bowl than the Texans are... despite the record disparity.