1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dale Robertson's column

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OT, Feb 23, 2000.

1. OT

OT Member

I read Dale Robertson's column this morning and don't understand why our media people just have to try and create controversy about the Rockets and Les Alexander. It did NO GOOD to try and make something out of Les not being at the press conference yesterday. DR did not know why he wasn't there, he just wanted to create controversy. Les Alexander has done more for this community than any other owner ever did here. Why do our media people have to makeup something negative about our teams? Do they not realize that it is because of our sports teams that they even have a job.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Has anyone here ever read a GOOD column by Dale Robertson? I can't remember any.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What annoyed me about his article (and pretty much all arena articles in the Chronicle) is the way he tries to convince us that we need an arena, addressing objections that I never had. In this article, he suggests that the arena was defeated because of a personal dislike for Les Alexander: because he's a Democrat and a Yankee and lives in another state. Now I didn't vote one way or the other (being in Chicago) but I didn't the arena defeat. But it has to do with money and nothing but money. Why do I keep hearing that arena-opponents are reacting to Les' foreignness? Maybe, just maybe, Houstonians voted for their pocketbooks this time around.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Juan, with all due respect, you've been in Chicago too long.

I'm not saying that because he's a Democrat that the arena was defeated. I think it was more of a Brown/Republicans thing, Alexander wasn't the target.

However, if you don't believe that Alexander's being a Yankee and not living in Houston had anything to do with it, you're being a little naive.

Texans have some sort of disorder when it comes to outsiders. I hear it everyday/ Why else would they pay for an Astros stadium, a team that has won nothing, and not want to use the same taxes for the Rockets, a team that has won it all twice.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

RM95, I have to say I agree with Juan, I don't think it has anything at all to do with where Les is from. I think you give the voters far too much credit -- I would bet that most of the people who voted against the referendum haven't the slightest clue where Les is from, and a great deal of them probably don't even know who he is. Most of them probably just heard "new arena" and immediately rushed out to vote it down. That's my guess anyway.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

RM95, i think its all about timing. If the arena deal was b-4 the stadium deal, then the Stros may be the ones packing it up. Anyways, i dont think houstonians have a sense of urgency about the rockets leaving. They are signed till 2003, so it will be a couple of years before panic time, i assume

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

RM95, I am in complete agreement with you... I have been in Chicago too long.

But on the issue of Robertson's article, my objection is more to his assumings than his assumptions, if you catch my meaning. Even if there was some truth to what he's saying, I'm sick of the bastadges at the Chronicle talking down to me (and to my fellow Houstonians) like I don't know how to go about making a public policy decision.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good point Juan.

BTW, you can't be in Chicago too long. Besides the fact that they don't have the Rockets, I can't think of much wrong with that town.

[​IMG]

9. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Now, come on everybody. Doesn't everyone know that this arena issue comes down to the grudge match between Les Alexander and Chuck Watson. Who do you think financed the arena opposition campaign? Who is influential enough to get politicians and their constituents passionately involved. The truth is, the passionate people voted and that is why it failed. If everyone voted it would have been approved by a wide margin. We are talking about money that is already there! It is the same money that paid for the other stadiums. People are voting against the money that Les will make. Yeah, he will make a lot of money but, as his track record shows, that means a better team and more money for local charities. I think the opposition is a bit hypocritical, especially figuring that Les would take LESS to stay. There are at least 2 to 3 markets that would offer a deal better than the one we voted down. Give me a break.
    SOR!!!