1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DAL@HOU Last Two Plays (Do you make that call with .1 Seconds Left)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 30, 2016.

?

Do you make this call with .1 seconds left

1. Yes

119 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

In real time I didn't even see the jersey tug, so I could understand if they just didn't see it. Took replay for me to even catch it.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You have to call that foul, way too obvious. There's often a different standard for end of the game scenarios but swallowing whistles completely is a dangerous path to go down. If you don't call that than you're basically saying anything is fair game at the buzzer.

The jersey pull or whatever it's being called is the type of thing that isn't called in that scenario and really isn't called at any phase of the game. That's a non issue.

10 people have voted no, why?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

The real story of this game is the epic amount of flopping. It's got to be coming from Carlisle. I've never seen so much damn flopping, especially on harden. Clutch posted a gif of last game Mathews throwing himself across the floor. I also saw mejri load up like he was going to knock Dekker across the face. That dude needs to chill the **** out. I noticed all the BS they pulled on Anderson and Capela not a single one of them ever tried to get chippy with nene. Lol I was just waiting for it.

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Because there are mavs fans lurking. Lmao mejri and bogut are ugly as ****

BigM likes this.
  5. dragician

dragician Member

FOUL LIKE TRUMP.

6. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

So sprinkle Cheetos powder all over my body and sniffle a lot?

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The tread title is talking about the play call - correct? Then why are we debating for pages about fouls?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do you make the offensive foul call on Harden for pulling his jersey?

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The foul was so obvious they had to call it. Plus they gave him the ridiculous charge call

10. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

To me the officiating was getting a rigged feel at the end until they called the final foul on the Harden drive. Before that there was an offensive fould on Harden that should have been blocking against Matthews. Then there was a phantom foul on Ryan Anderson that sent Barnes to the line. It felt like the fix was in. So if anything it was a make up call for those 2 terrible back to back calls in the final minutes. But the last foul on Harden was obvious. Both were. He was fouled twice on that last drive. Take your pick which one you want to blow your whistle on.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's the complete vid of our defense against Mavs last play, out of timeout.

You can't hope for better defense than that. Nice chasing through picks from KJ on Deron. Harden chases well, too. And Ariza is golden showing on both cutters, and switching on last one; he lips a little at the end, but that's a 30' shot.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Voted no because I think the jersey pull was pretty blatant for Harden to get position to get the pass. One thing I grew to hate as a Rockets fan in recent years was "star calls," when we had no stars. That kind of subjectivity is frustrating to watch. Harden doesn't get nearly as many of those as people claim, but I'd rather he get none and Lebron/Curry/KD etc... also get none as guys like that tend to benefit a lot more from preferential treatment.

So - I don't think the play should have gotten to the point where Matthews fouled Harden. If they miss the jersey tug, which is a little tick tack I admit, then I would vote yes because Matthews just mugs Harden. But you have to see the entire play to see how Matthews loses position on Harden.

13. heypartner

Yeah, that's a big play. We were up by 4 with 1:15 left, and can take the air outta the ball and make them foul Harden/Ryno/Gordon for the Win, the rest of the way out.

Looks like a friendly call for the Mavs Max Player. Whether Ryan slightly pushed him enough for a foul or not....one thing is for sure...Bullard and Drexler were definitely not being Homers on that play. They sided with the refs. Doubtful the Spurs, Celtics or Mavs announcers would side with the Refs on that.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It seems like a legit foul. I'm a fan of "letting them play" as much as anyone, but I don't think you can NOT call that.

Also, on a related note, as much as they were flopping like 2008 Utah Jazz or 2005 San Antonio Spurs, I have no pity for the circumstances of this loss.

15. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

I can't wait to lose a game by this fashion and make this exact same thread and all the homer comments will just be reversed.

"No the refs should NOT decide the game!"

lolol

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The refs didn't decide the game, they didn't create the foul, they just did their jobs and called the foul when it happened. A ref "deciding the game" would be if they ignored that kind of a call and it cost a team the game or if it was a phantom foul. When there is a legit call, you have to blow that whistle or you are effectively deciding the game.

If the Rockets lost due to a legitimate foul call with 0.1 in the game, it would suck, but it wouldn't be the ref's fault.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

You are correct. However, any late foul call made by a ref, correct or incorrect, is what most fans consider "deciding the game." It's wrong but that's what people think.

18. heypartner

See the 1:15 minute mark video above of Barnes getting a call for a very slight hand on body. No call on that and our three 80%+ free throw shooters close out the game with a 4pt lead

...Also notice Bullard and Drexler were not Homers. so I'm going to stick out my tongue at you for them. :p

Also, I know you're talking last second calls...and I agree, the voting would likely turn as you say. But probably not swing to >90% saying we were robbed.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Fair enough, at least we know it wasn't all mavs' fans voting no. :) I still stand by the tug not being called often for any player and certainly not within the realm of standard referee protocol during a last possession drive. Either way, if we agree the refs missed something on that play, I don't agree that they have to make it up by not calling something else. That's also bad precedent.

The hack on his arm was a mandatory call whether Harden got away with a tug or not.

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

A foul is a foul is a foul...that is absolutely the right call! With that said, idk why you'd want to put the game in the refs hands rather than your own.