1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dakota Access Pipeline Standoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Dec 4, 2016.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All pipelines are planned and permitted through the wazoo, and they'll be scrutinized going forward any time they want to raise rates or connect with other lines. I believe the governor has issued an evacuation order based on upcoming weather conditions, I imagine that'll give the cops the go ahead to clear them out. I hope the organizers soliciting donations were upfront about the likelihood of this pipeline project continuing, and have some endgame where they can re-channel the resources to some long-term vehicle for lobbying, legal action and organizing future protests.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The conflict is basically just greed on the part of the tribe and a bunch of idiots flocking to their "cause" simply because they are against oil companies in general. The tribe was trying to gouge the oil company over the leasing of their land to run the pipeline, so the oil company just re-routed it around them. The tribe got upset that they are losing out on that money, so they are trying to screw up the process.

There's really nothing more to it than that.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

came just for DD, what a bait and switch.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

once this became a leftist pet cause, Obama would not be able to resist virtue signaling, he was going to shut it down, despite it all being totally legal and process followed correctly

my guess is they will just delay a decision until Trump gets in, at which point it will be approved

you read between the lines from the corps' statement, they weren't going to forcibly remove anyone, so the mob of bullies win (for now)

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Amazing how partisan this became and how quickly. Either way, was shocked completely to see today's announcement. If they can reroute the thing for white people in Bismarck (which they did, you know), then they can reroute it downstream of the native lands too or move it back to where it affects both communities in the event of a problem. I don't see why that has to then become a standard political football game, but whatevs.

I find the following map a little more useful than the standard large scale picture of the entire state.

[​IMG]

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, greed wins out when you can get enough morons to break the law and a president that supports lawlessness in the name of greed. Obama can't be gone soon enough.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They DID move it, and that's what the problem is. The tribe tried to gouge the oil company over the lease of the land, asking 3x more money than standard, so they moved the pipeline off of their lands......and that's why they are upset. They are losing out on that money so they just want to get in the way and stop it despite the fact that they have no valid argument whatsoever. It's 100% greed on their part.

10. durvasa

If that is what happened, them expecting more money than standard seems fair to me since they will not reap the economic benefits of the pipeline that others living off-reservation might. Also, what qualifies as "their lands" is apparently under dispute.

My understanding is they are upset because they weren't consulted over the pipeline being built over their ancestral territory (which they assert is something they are entitled to by treaty) and putting their water at risk. Are you saying they don't truly care about these things, or that these things just don't matter?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm saying that initially the pipeline was going through their ACTUAL land, which they were fine with, but they wanted to get 3x what anyone else was getting. The oil company decided that instead of paying them extra, they'd just re-route the pipeline which cost the tribe plenty of money. As such, they invented an excuse to complain. It's not on their land so honestly, they shouldn't have anything to say about it. They were fine with it running right through their ACTUAL land when they thought they could screw over the oil company for 3x the money, their complaints are completely bogus......but you can always find stupid people to buy in and try to bully people who are just trying to do their jobs.

12. durvasa

I don't follow your reasoning. Asking for significant compensation, far beyond what the oil company was willing to pay, in return for them putting the pipeline through their reservation does not mean they had no legitimate concerns and that they're essentially "fine" with it.

I'd like to read more about the initial proposed deal you're mentioning, if you can point me to an online source. Maybe I'll understand your position better that way.

Also, even if we assume they have no claim whatsoever over the neighboring land that this pipeline is going through, their water is still put at risk by the pipeline and on that basis they should have some say in the matter. Do you disagree with that?

#12 durvasa, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If anything happened to their water, I'd be all for them suing the hell out of the oil company for it. They know that's not likely to happen though, so they are looking at getting nothing.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. When you want something . . .. people charge what they charge. I think Nestle Price gouges for bottled water . . . . but people either buy it or not.
    2. Care to address the fact that it was moved to accommodate the white folx further up ? Why is ok to say . . .HEY YOU GUYS DON'T WANT IT SO LETS FORCE IT ON THESE GUYS . . .CAUSE WE KNOW WE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT ?

hit me with some of them facts and I will listen

Rocket River

ubigred likes this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

People in Arizona don't like it either.

[​IMG]

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. And when you ask too much, they cut you out of the picture by going around you....and that's what happened. Their greed caused the pipeline to go completely around their land.

2. It was moved to accommodate them too (or really in order to go through the land of people being more reasonable about the price to lease the land). The pipeline wasn't going through ANY of their land. At all. You do know that right?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.ecowatch.com/pipeline-spills-2061960029.html

Did these not happen? Are these just lies?

Rocket River
    http://fortune.com/2016/10/22/sunoco-pipeline-spill-pennyslvania/
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pipeline-nativeamericans-safety-i-idUSKCN11T1UW

ubigred likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It put their land and water at risk . . ..
    This is not THERE WILL BE BLOOD . . . . you are not allowed to DRINK THEIR MILKSHAKE
    but rather in this case spit in their milkshake

Rocket River

ubigred likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not at risk, and if anything actually happened, they'd be able to sue the hell out of the oil company and get more than what they are currently missing out on due to their greed. That's just their excuse for complaining (via violent protest, arson, and vandalism) because they are losing out on money. Unfortunately we have a really terrible president that rewards that kind of criminality.....well, for another month anyway.