1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dajuan Wagner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ktbballplaya, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I dont see a reason why the rockets shouldnt give him a shot for such a cheap price..in my opinion if healthy i rather have him that luther head

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/SPORTS03/608220375/1002/SPORTS

Former Camden High School star Dajuan Wagner had a workout with the 76ers recently at their practice facility at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Wagner is trying to work his way back into the NBA after battling knee injuries and colitis over his three-year career with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Sixers president Billy King confirmed Wagner's workout and said he "looked good."

The 23-year-old Wagner was drafted No. 6 overall by the Cavs in the 2002 NBA Draft, but played in just 102 of 246 possible games in his three seasons, missing most of the games due to injury or illness. He averaged 9.4 points and 1.9 assists during his time with the Cavs.

Wagner battled severe colitis and had surgery in October at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York.

Wagner appears to be in great condition now.

He's been playing in summer leagues at Drexel and at the Cherry Hill Health & Racquet Club, and scored 80 points in a league game at the racquet club last week, going against NBA talent such as Los Angeles Clippers guard Cuttino Mobley, Rick Brunson and Memphis Grizzlies forward Hakim Warrick.

However, the Sixers already have one high scoring guard in Allen Iverson, who is entering his 11th NBA season. Plus, they recently signed guard Willie Green to a five-year, $17 million contract, so it's unclear how much playing time would be available for Wagner if he did sign with the Sixers.

If not the Sixers, some other NBA team could get Wagner, more than likely for the fourth-year veteran's minimum of $798,112. The Golden State Warriors have been to Cherry Hill to watch Wagner play. Also, his agent, Leon Rose, said several European teams have shown interest, including Maccabi Tel Aviv

2. AXG

AXG Member

There's the reason he hasn't been able to play- because of his injuries and illness. I've had severe colitis a few years back, and it takes a lot out of you. I missed about 4-5 months of school and wasn't able to play sports also because of it. As for his play, I had high expectations of him going to the NBA. He's really similar to Iverson in size and play, but he's a lot more erratic and his shot isn't that good. He is a good scorer, but has little else to his game. I'd rather pursue a backup big man for the last spot on the roster.

3. momosworld

momosworld Member

Really??? What does he bring that Luther doesn't. Height? NO Consistently able to go? NO If we didn't have Head he might have a role, but not over Head.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

no way - not over Luther.

Head is coming into his own as a league player, Wagner is a major ?

5. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

I doubt could he recover and play as well as before? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. AlexZhao

AlexZhao Member

THIS GUY SCORED 100 IN HIGH SCHOOL :eek:

7. BayAreaG510

BayAreaG510 Member

Not trying to be funny or anything. But what kind of funny silly name is Dajuan?!?! :D :D :D

8. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Why would we need another undersized shooting guard? With our small guards of Luther Head, V-Span and JL3, there isn't any room for D-Wags. Maybe if we were able to package Luther in a deal and get a PF, then I'll be up for signing Dajuan for a roster spot. Other than that, there is no room for the kid. Wagner is a great scorer though. The injury is what held him back the most.

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

what the hell is Cat playing in the summer leagues? :confused:

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

:cool:
    He loves the game i suppose :cool:

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I actually don't think Mobley has a life outside Basketball.

12. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I would take DeJaun Wagner over Luther Head any day!!! Do you want some buckets off the bench?

I like Luther Head. But when DeJuan got starts in Cleveland, he was amazing.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not an NBA summer league. Cat is ineligible for those, and there are no more NBA summer leagues still playing. I assume it's nothing different that him playing in the Fonde Rec Center "summer league" games. He's just playing "organized" pick-up ball.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Wagner might be a nice gamble, to pick up for our #15 roster spot.

15. Diaw

Diaw Member

i think any nba player who whants to play innba summer league can ... just look at artest or stoudemire ... no ?

16. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

cause our roster is full of combo guards and undersized 2's

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think so, too. Would be nice to have him for instant offense off the bench. When he starts hogging the ball, just put him back on the bench. But imagine T-Mac goes down (as he inevitably will). It would be nice to have a backup option who will pick up the slack when it comes to scoring. Plus, it looks like Wagner could be had cheap. If there are no character issues, we should definitely go for it and pick him up.

18. Aussie Dooley

Aussie Dooley Member

worth a gamble if we cant find a decent bigman

19. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

uhh steve francis anybody?

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Where'd you get the idea that he's small? He's listed 6'4" which, if Im not mistaken, means he'll be 6'5"+ by NBA standards because the Euro measurements don't include shoes. He is a point guard, you know...