1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DAILY KOS] Why liberals should love the Second Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

What's your interpretation of it then?

2. Svpernaut

I wasn't asking for a debate, I just wanted to know your belief. I got it. No point in debating because we aren't changing each other's minds.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

lol. You're calling me sensitive but this whole thread is basically you yelling "I've been wronged!" into the intertubes. All I've said is that, essentially, your posts in this thread are unproductive.

4. Orange

Orange Member

This.

5. Svpernaut

I mentioned nothing of being "wronged," until my response from you. But it's your story sister, tell it like you want it. I said from the get-go that I just wanted a better understanding of what some of the very people that openly oppose the 2nd amendment believe.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It doesn't apply to me because I don't fit the description of a liberal in the opening of the article. I think speech should be curtailed, religion is given too much license, I'm willing to fudge a little on due process, and I'm not really keen on popular elections. So, I'll go on criticizing the Second Amendment without hypocrisy.

2 people like this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because it was a different time back then.
    Owning a gun back in those times was as natural as owning a car. Open carry was socially acceptable and encouraged, there was a complete lack of an organized policing force and people were left to fend for themselves for the most part.

What are guns now? They are recreational tools used to hunt and shoot targets and serve as a means of self defense in the rarest of occasions.

You have no need to bring a ****ing AR-15 into a public space. Can you own one? I'm on the side that says yes, but only after undergoing programs and checks to ensure that you are a responsible gun owner and there is a low possibility of mishandling the weapon. Zero tolerance policy. Criminal misdemeanor? Minor mental health issue? No gun for you.

I am open for any responsible American owning any gun they want (barring anything military grade / full-auto). I just want to keep dangerous people away from them. Not only dangerous, but potentially dangerous.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

When I have said that I am voting for Obama, I have been accused of being a no-job-having mooch. When I said I was in favor of healthcare reform (Obamacare), I was accused of being a no-insurance-having mooch who wanted other people to pay for my medical bills. Now, when I say I am for the banning of 100 round ammo drums, I am accused of "despising" the 2nd amendment.

This is, unfortunately, a trend with a lot of conservative "debate points" lately. It gets really annoying and defeats any point (if there actually was one) that is trying to be made.

I am a longed haired, gun owning, NASCAR watching liberal. Pigeonhole that!

9. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Another thing: These 'liberals' you keep referring to were invented in the minds of conservatives.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not stereotyping if it's true. amirite?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Anyway, stupid opinion piece. Rights aren't absolute. That's the thing about liberals and progressives, they don't walk in opinion lockstep nearly as much as conservatives which may make them less decisive and maybe less effective politically.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think this is worth repeating. Too often these days, those of a conservative bent have this preconceived notion of what a liberal is, and one of those notions is that "they all" hate guns and want to take them away from those who would like to own them. That's simply bull ****. Yes, many liberals think guns are an archaic American fixation that have outlived their relevance, but many don't feel the same way. Many liberals enjoy gun ownership, enjoy hunting, going to a gun range, collecting. And I know conservatives that wouldn't have a gun in the house and think they're awful. The more vocal conservatives, again, these days, ignore gun owning liberals, and ignore the gun hating conservatives. They just pretend that they don't exist. Why did I say, "these days" twice? Because this country didn't use to be that way.

So there's a disconnect going on. Instead of accusing liberals of wanting to "take my guns," the question that should be asked is, "What gun regulation would least infringe upon gun ownership, and produce a safer America?" Food for thought, Svpernaut. By the way, I like the quote from The Big Lebowski.

1 person likes this.
  13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Good post. I'm just bored of listening to it personally. When I get the "liberals all think this" shtick my eyes gloss over. It's piss poor discussion, boring and, as this thread as easily exposed, just incredibly nonsensical. I mean...supernaut keeps contradicting himself in a desperate attempt to get out of the whole he dug.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But wait, I need 50 rounds in my magazine for the government takeover. But wait, outlawing some guns won't do any good because people can make their own. Laws won't prevent criminals from breaking them, look at Cocaine and Heroin. Outlawing high capacity magazines do nothing, it only takes 3 seconds to replace a magazine. If I register my gun the government will come take it from me. I shouldn't need a background check, I need my gun today.

/Everything I read on my Facebook feed every day

Why can't they read like your question suggests?

15. carlosc

carlosc Member

"Openly." That's precious.

There are many people who recognize that the second amendment does not say what you think it says. Sadly the Supreme Court's "originalists" elect to be something else when this issue is raised. Happily some of them will die soon.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Took a break from the D&D. I came back hoping for something somewhat decent, and I find this pile of garbage. Trader_Jorge and the three stooges must be rubbing off on people still....

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This isn't that hard to understand; parts of the constitution are good and still useful, parts are outdated relics, and still worse parts are ambiguous and acquire brand new meanings 200 years later depending on the whims of who you ask.

It's not a religious document dictated from on high, and when you have to say "BECAUSE CONSTITUTION! " as an irrelevant response to support an otherwise ridiculous or absurd outcome, you're illustrating the problems with it perfectly.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The article was a nice try by a typical conservative gunnut.

Liberals should hate the 2nd Amendment. Liberals like and believe in human progress and hate needless suffering and death. Liberals do not have the child like belief that back a couple of hundred years ago men with God like powers laid out a Ten Commandment like framework for American society correctly for eternity.

The ill drafted, anachronistic 2nd Amendment has led to the senseless death and disability of I supsect hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens.

Sorry gun nuts, but the 2nd Amendment needs to either be abolished or we have to remove the recent interpretations of it by the conservative block on the Court beholden to gun manufacturers and top GOP political folks who like guns, God and not as much now gays as wedge issues.