1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dad fatally shoots teen boy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by edwardc, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FRkMAlJ5Gtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If this was in Texas, Marty would have been shot and Biff would have continued to run society.
    Seriously, it's weird growing up here. You learn at a young age that you will run the risk of getting shot being at a stranger's house. If you're a parent, you need to teach this to your kids.

2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think this is the key point. It doesn't seem to me that the father was a hothead or looking to kill or trigger happy. If the story is accurate, then he acted reasonably in my opinion. He called the cops, he asked questions, he talked to the young man -- he didn't shoot first, he shot like fourth.

It is a very sad story and I feel bad for the young man and his family, but how many sad stories exist because someone did not react fast enough to a threat. If the report is accurate, the father tried to use the proper authorities and diffuse the situation without using his gun, but put yourself in the position of a potentially unwell man who has a strange young man in his house who may be acting aggressive. At some point there are reasonable rules of engagement.

Again, this is all based on that report -- if it is not accurate than my opinion is likely to change.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

He didn't say pray so that he may come back.... He said pray for the teen and everyone involved... Prayer is still a big part of people's lives whether you like it or not and its still something some people need to do and some people need of. Take your sarcastic bs elsewhere....

1 person likes this.
  4. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

^Very true. All three posts prior. Well said.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Your point of view is not hard to understand, no. Especially as you've typed it several times in quick succession.

As for bias: a possibility? Indeed. The "facts of the article" are just the father's version of the story, since neither the police nor the journalist were present. The father has told the entire story. As for the girl telling her own version, it appears she has every possible right to fear her father, so I doubt she would say anything that disputed his version.

At least we agree that bias is a possibility. From there we diverge, because I admit I don't know crap about this case. As usual, the media have just regurgitated whatever is easy to obtain in 12 minutes or less, and so far we only have the survivor's story.

RIP kid. Lesson to other young men: always arrive through the front door and introduce yourself to the parents. Even then, make SURE you don't have anything in your pockets, like a cell phone or an ice cream sandwich or something. Also, wear a kevlar vest when meeting a Texas father for the first time.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

This is very sad and I don't know if it's right or wrong, but the poor kid who got shot is black. I'm so very thankful that the dad who shot him is also black.

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

this.. the kid made the situation worse by arguing with the homeowner.

8. Summer Song Giver

Kids, sometimes a few yes sirs and no sirs go a long way. I know it's not what Lil'Wayne or Biebs would want you to do but it may save your life. Hell a few yes sirs and no sirs up front and Dad would probably have let you kick it with his daughter, bed room door open of course.

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

Who here hasn't snuck through a girls window while her parents were asleep?

10. Summer Song Giver

Not me, but if caught I would have run or become ultra respectful towards Dad, "bowing up" would not have been an option.

Kids these days.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sad. RIP, kid.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

Natural selection...? What kind of mentally challenged individual goes on the offensive when being held at gunpoint by the homeowner... who, by what we can tell from the article, was reasonably trying to find out why you (a stranger in his home) are in fact in his home...?

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Footage of what went down prior to dad coming in:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OPDihaH2DjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In all seriousness though... Much too young and way to senseless. Hate to see this.

#33 HR Dept, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well if you see you're dad going to get his gun it's probably a good time to tell the truth about knowing him.

That is if she didn't try, wasn't there so not sure.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's basically how I feel. Legally, the boy can be seen as an intruder. He wasn't welcome in the house by the owner, and his daughter isn't in any position of any authority of the house.

Very bad situation. Based on facts, I wouldn't be surprised if he got off.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Teenage kid who's all pumped up to get laid. That's a lot of logic flying out the door, and in it's place testosterone and instinct.

It's not a new story. I used to sneak into girls' rooms all the time when I was younger. Looking back, it was never logical and always extremely dangerous, because at best if I was caught I was looking at an ass beating by an angry grown man.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

Naturally... however, would you go on the offensive, prior to any ass beating by an angry grown man... if he caught you, and approached you inquiring about your identity and reason for being there without immediately making a leap to the impulse to beat your ass...?

Would you actually go out of your way, "coitus interruptus" and all, HASTEN your ass beating...?

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"Her younger brother went to say good night and saw two feet sticking out under the bed, detectives said. He then went to get his father."

Was the daughter one-legged?

Why was the younger brother alarmed to have noticed two feet?

19. Andrew Wiggins

my guess is the boy was reaching for his cell phone to show the crazy man wielding a gun that he knew the girl and had proof via texts, phone calls, and her number. too bad the father wasnt having it. i hate hoe protective some r****ds are over their daughers vag.

best post so far. the second the daugter sees the father with a gun she should have fessed up, but she didn't. chances are he came in guns blazing when he heard something and even if he didnt the daughter knew what her father was like and that he owned a gun. he sounds crazy and she didnt want to deal with the punishment so she let it play out.

throw her in juvi for 5-10 because her lack of dignity caused a boy his life and the father, well, as long as the boy was reaching for something...he gets off without any consequences.

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I think two feet were sticking out from beneath the bed frame. I think you mistook that for two feet sticking out from underneath the blanket/comforter.