1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D.o.D. the Chat room policeman

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by DaDakota, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Wow, this thread ranks right up there with the best of 'em. Haven't been in chat for a while (NBA League Pass) but it was always best when the balance of chat did not overwhelm the pbp.

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Even though I like DaDakota I must agree, you seem like a pretty nice fellow. Actually I think both you guys are solid and this exchange is a little disturbing.

However it seems I need to visit the chat more often, sounds like a kick-ass place!:)

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Great... as if we don't have enough comedians in there.

;)

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

dangit...I tol you last night...Im not a comedian...Im a commodian.

:p

ohyea...AB is gonna be inda hizzle..;)

btw...AB...viewing party.....Live......Tuesday night...you in town?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only the one's that run the chat room.

Oh wait, those are jesters, my bad.

;)

DD

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

A message to DoD and DaDa:

[​IMG]

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

exactly

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Maybe you could have sent him a private message as a "final notice" rather than running him.

I'm not telling you how to do your job, just suggesting a better way of handling a "respectable" member of the BBS that may not have known the rules of the chat.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

See, that's what's funny. I don't want to police the chat - I'm usually trying to watch the game, too. If I message people, then it gets into a debate about this, that, and the other via PM. The best chats are the ones where all I really have to do is change the score from possession to possession in the chat window.

If I never had to boot or kick anyone, that would be fine. I don't want to PM everybody that does something wrong and act like somebody's parent. And this wasn't the first time it's happened to DaDakota, and he's certainly not new to chat. The general rules of chat haven't changed in the past 2-3 years (since the Yao effect anyway). The no-chatting during pbp rule was instituted after we went over 100 and 200 people in chat trying to crack jokes and talk about anything and everything while pbp was going on. It made it impossible to follow anything. Three to four years ago it wasn't an issue because back then 60 people in chat was a record. Now, there's no way anyone wants to sit in a room of 200 people with text scrolling 100 mph off the screen as you try to search for pbp in between arguments, insults, and jokes.

I also don't care how long you've been on the bbs, how many posts you have, etc. in order for respect to be granted. It never enters my mind when a boot occurs. People that have been here for years and have thousands of posts have been kicked for not sticking to the chat rules. Like I stated previously, most of the boots from the channel are auto-boots, so it's not like I selectively boot people (except on rare instances for things the auto-boots don't catch).

There's a guy in chat named biggz that sometimes does pbp or updates scores for us that has 24 posts on this bbs (4 in one thread). I respect him. Same with people like Uprising, Kaiser Soze, rockHEAD, codell, and others who may not exactly be "big names" or maybe "respected" on the bbs but pitch in for pbp, scores, and stats when they really get nothing out of it.

Bring the season on.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Where's Poochie? How's Poochie doing? Does Poochie look tired?

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

aaahhh...forgotten again.:(

just pokin fun doc...l)

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, the way I understood it, DoD listed all those who he thinks are NOT big names on the BBS or respected ;).

Just kidding :).

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have not been in the chat the last couple of years very often, and used to be in there a ton pre-Yao.

In fact, I don't ever remember the PBP rules being implemented.

I guess I just pine for the good ole days where you could chat with your cyber friends and fellow Rocketeers and not have to worry about PBP.

Heck, PBP is available in audio stream all over the internet, I figure most people that can't see the game are at least listening to it.

Look no problem, I get it, I just don't happen to agree with it. I would like to go back to the old way where it was fun, now it just seems kind of rigid.

I do get that D.o.D. has a thankless job, and he is on there doing it out of his own free time, and I can apprecaite that.

I just appreciate a more direct approach, HECK, if he would have said STFU DaDakota, I would have been more than happy to oblige, but getting kicked is very frustrating.

Truthfully, you should kick someone, but not ban them, let them come back in and if they do it again, ban them for 24 hours.

Kicking someone right away, when in truth there was VERY VERY VERY little chat between PBP, if you don't believe that...have D.o.D. post the chat log.

That is the main reason I was bent out of shape, there was hardly any chat, and it was not upsetting the PBP, especially since he -M the people, we couldn't chat.

I am sure D.o.D. is a nice guy with a thankless job, I just thought he would have PM-ed me.

I thought the chat message he was displaying was an auto-bot type of message, probably a hot key though.

Oh well, I don't mind the issue any more, but I won't forget the vicious vitrial that he spewed my way.

Some people can be professional and comment without having such thin skin, I gues Dr. of Dunk is not one of those people.

DD

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

LOL. You 'won't forget'. Man DaDakota, just stop already. Let it go.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

awww I feel loved!

Let's go Rockets.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sorry... R2K.

Yes, R2K is a great addition to chat, too. And he's not "respected" or a big namer either. :D

17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

mY ASS HURTS

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

lol. way to set yourself up DA. Now everyone in chat is gonna tell you to STFU, followed by one of these ;)

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay we understand that you don't agree with the rules. Just leave it be, sheesh.

You act like this BBS should be a democracy - it isn't. Rules are in place and are meant to be followed. If you don't want to follow them, that is your prerogative, but don't act all surprised that action is taken against you. You think they have rules just because it looks "cool"?

I am sorry if this post comes across negatively to you, Dakota, as I think you are an okay guy, but I really can't understand why you are making this into such a big deal. And before you say you aren't, your last post proves that you are.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

DaDa:

Just a note from an out of towner.

I freaking love +M.

I freaking hate jokesters busting up the PBP.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the jokes or the conversation or whatever, but not during the PBP. There's plenty of time for all that in the timeouts.

I'll agree with you that things around here seem pretty tense lately with so many old regulars apparently being banned (Jeff: the reasons are none of my business, but however it's happening oldtimers are getting banned like never before. It's kind of weird.), but picking on DoD for chat? Man, DoD rules in chat.

Before I moved from Houston, I never, ever missed a game. If I had to miss one, I'd record it and be sure no one told me anything about it before I watched it. As soon as I could get home to watch it, I would.

I'm on the road now and, if I can't catch the game at a sports bar or on national telecast, the chat's the best I've got.

There are a lot of us out there like that. We're not following PBP on espn.com or whatever, which is totally dry and which pretty much amounts to scrolling stats. And whether or not a tape delayed audio feed is available (and it isn't always), I really just love the hell out of reading rockHEAD or codell or another one of my cc.net friends doing PBP (for maximum enjoyment, with biggz on scores) when I can't watch the game. I haven't been in the room when you've been a problem, but last year when I was following chat from NM I begged for +M when things got wild.

You're in Austin. You're catching every game you want to and joking around in between times when the spirit moves you. If it's that important for you to post a running commentary, open your own room through the site. If anyone wants to chat with you, they'll be there. Otherwise, please allow us our PBP and leave the chat for the timeouts. For some of us, for now, it's all we've got.