1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D.o.D. the Chat room policeman

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by DaDakota, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Are there any types of chat rooms that have two boxes, one for mods and one for everyone else? That would make the situation alot better, letting chat and PBP go on without one making the other go by faster.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Now that would make sense, and would be pretty easy to set up.

A small running box at the top that just does the PBP, and let the rest of the people CHAT, which is what the room is designed for.

Hopefully, this will happen, and then something positive can come out of this discussion for the community.

DD

#23 DaDakota, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm glad someone asked this question, because I sure as hell don't understand it, either. It is next to impossible to accidentally type cuss words OVER and OVER again, which is why mrdave gets absolutely no sympathy from me.

On another note, I dare say more vicious smack is laid down in the Feedback Forum than in every other forum combined. Man, it's brutal in here. Clutch should just rename it the "Mod Cathartic Rant Forum." :D

5. DaDakota

Wouldn't this problem be solved if you let people actually chat?

DD

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:(

7. DaDakota

One more thing, I have received many emails from people here who all agree that D.o.D has an itchy trigger finger, but are afraid of complaining for fear of being banned.

That is just silly, this is a feedback forum, and is the proper place for discussions of issues.

DD

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I have a potty mouth....or fingers.

But anyway, I'm usually in 1-2 other chats, which don't impose the cuss and your gone rule. I understand why #clutchfans has it...I just...forget on occasion. :(

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Uh-oh, I think it's time for an online pettition.

But on a more serious note, when are we going to get some more emoticons? A violin would be especially apt right about now.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Have you guys ever just considered inviting folks to a second chat where you can talk about whatever.

I totally get the play-by-play thing because there are people from all over the world who don't have access to media coverage of the game or can't afford league pass and they use chat to follow the game. If that pbp is being interrupted - no matter what the topic - it is annoying for folks who don't have access any other way.

Just create a second room and keep both windows open if you are that worried about it.

11. DaDakota

:D

Yes, String music...

DD

12. DaDakota

Another excellent idea.

Thanks Jeff.

DD

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's only vicious when they call me "chatroom Nazi" or "a control freak" and act as if they're some innocent victim. Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty nice. :D

The fact of the matter is that over 96-98% of the boots in the chat are for some form of flooding, trolling, or cursing. Some people curse, get auto-kicked and message me asking if they can be let back in and that it was an accident. I almost always do unless they're people that do it over and over. Then there are the 1-3% that have problems understanding.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still don't understand how it's possible to "accidentally" type a curse word. :confused:

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The majority of people that don't chat aren't from this country and probably have difficulty speaking the language. Since we only allow English in the chat, they just watch. But I'm sure you knew that.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't get it either, but one of the reasons I let them back in is that maybe they're new and don't know the "no cussing" rule or they're on other forums where it's allowed and forget.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It happens...people get excited (just imagine reading "Moochie...dribble....dribble....dribble....shoot...airball")... you just feel inclined to type "damn" or something worse.

I don't see how typing it is that much different from saying it.

Not that I say it is a good thing. Just trying to explain how it can happen...

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think the idea with the second chat room (maybe even one where cursing would be allowed) is very good.

Just from my personal perspective, I am one of these people from another country, and it always used to be possible to chat during the game, even when pbp was going on...never seemed to be a problem, especially when pbp was in bold. It only got annoying when other users started typing in bold, too, but those could be booted after a warning, and then it was absolutely no problem to chat during the game...after all, it is a chat, and the "community aspect" of it is part of what makes it so nice to follow the game that way.

I'm really thankful for the work being done to do the pbp and the administration of the chat room.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Take it from someone who gets booted 2-3 times 99% of the time from the DoD chat.

Just shut the **** up.

:)

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please do no talk like that to the Doctor! ;)