1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D. Mo vs. T. Jones BBS Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Dec 13, 2014.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

To be fair to D-Mo's numbers, we're not talking about his play all season. We're talking specifically about the last 11 games. Over that span he has averaged:

32.7 mpg/15.9 pts/7.3 reb

Prior to this stretch he was hot garbage everywhere except on defense. Which brings up the other point, Scola was always a liability there. D-Mo is an impact defensive player both in individual and team defense. And to me that's where this discussion ends.

I however don't buy the bbhollic style argument that the only thing that matters is their ability to shoot. That's a hilarious over-simplification of what is needed.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

Why the hell can't I edit my own post?

Anyways, to clarify I mean that ends the discussion between Jones and D-Mo. I love Jones as an off the bench spark, but his inability to guard elite PF's is a major liability. D-Mo is much better suited to start based on that alone.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I still disagree with that proposition, but I am softening my position. Jones is not an acceptable backup at center when Howard rests. D-Mo can spend 32 minutes a game coming off the bench backing up both Howard and Jones. To me that is obvious. Of course D-Mo is the obvious starting choice against LMA quality PFs.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You must donate to the tip jar to get the privilege of editing your own posts.

5. jedicro

jedicro Member

Huh..seems like a strange feature to paywall. Oh weel, I've been meaning to for a while.

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

GOD DAMMIT!

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

I didn't mean for Jones to be the back up center. I meant D-Mo will be the back up center (primary one, at least. Dorsey/Black can pick up a few minutes a game) Jones will play exclusively PF. You would just have to cycle Howard and D-mo back and forth at center.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I like Dmo's skill set more than I do Jones' although Jones is obviously much more of an athlete than Dmo. Honestly I'm looking forward to both of them in the lineup when Dwight gets his rest. I only want to see Dorsey or Black out there in a blowout.

Honestly, I see Dmo as more of a starting caliber PF and Jones as more the 2nd unit energizer. He's already a good NBA level athlete but against 2nd team, he's going to have a much better time of over matching opponents. Dmo's got decent form which makes me think he could turn into a somewhat reliable stretch 4, is a pesky defender, and his passing is most definitely something we need out there. He clearly sees the pass lane before it happens which is what differentiates him, Harden, and Papa from the rest of the guys on the roster. To put it another way, if this were the Spurs Dmo would be getting a lot of minutes.