1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D. Mo vs. T. Jones BBS Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Dec 13, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

100% cosign.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tonight DMo + Howard:

20-30 (67%) for 51 points; 18 rebounds, 2 steals, 3 blocks.

It could have been better if Howard shot a little better at the line.

I am very pleased to see how the two guys play well together.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Motiejones might be more talented than Scolandry but Scolandry as tough as nails. I miss Scolandry.

4. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

I think the thing thats surprised me the most about D-mo is how strong he is. Dude is pushing guys I wouldn't expect him to be able to in the paint like they're nothing.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope and pray that Jones will recover to full health, and play at a high level for us.
    He isn't as talented as D-Mo, but he does have his own strengths.

Once he develops a jumper and gets better on defense, he will become a excellent off the bench PF for us.

I am very proud of D-Mo, but I miss Jones too. Let's not lose faith in the young man.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Cant wait for Jones to come back and then keep Black and Dorsey at the bench.

Just have all 96 minutes spread with Dwight, TJones and DMo. And the occasion small ball with Papa at the 4.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Any word on his nerve issue:confused:

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I didn't think Jones would be a great fit next to Dwight, but he could be a real spark off the bench with his athleticism and finishing ability. I can just imagine him feasting on opposing backup bigs the way Landry used to.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

DMo brings a defensive presence that Jones does not. That being said, it does seem like perhaps we should space out his minutes with Dwight as only one of them can take the ball on the low block. Jones can probably play alongside Dwight a bit better. I'm so happy we have this problem. Hopefully by the time their rookie contracts are up, we are already polishing up one NBA title and Les gives Morey the go-ahead to re-sign them both to reasonable deals. Knowing Cuban though he'll probably use every penny he has under his cap to offer the max to one of the guys. Thankfully he already blew his cap for the next three years on Chandler Parsons, so he might be limited in his ability to demonstrate his spite for our franchise.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Exactly. I mentioned this before. Morey has drafted and traded for loads of 6"8'-6"9' tweener types of PF's in the past by himself. There's so many of these guys in the league. This is actually one of Morey's biggest strengths. Finding tweener PF's. (Well, that and finding no name PG's who end up becoming studs)

D-Mo is much harder to replace. A legit 7"0' PF. As Dwight said "it's a bit different when your PF is taller than your center." Well he's right. A guy with that size puts his stamp on the floor in so many ways. Especially coupled with the fact that D-Mo plays above average team defense.

Even without the offense he does so much. The offense is just a huge added bonus. You can't replace guys like that so easily. I'm sure Morey knows this considering he's gotten TJ type players so many times already.

As mentioned a ton of times, you can only ultimately have one. No way any sensible person picks Jones over Motiejunas.

Didn't you know man? Josh Smith was a great player before he signed with Detroit! No one in Atlanta was saying he was a boneheaded chucker. :rolleyes:

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

That Cuban bit made me laugh, I could totally see him selling one of them as some sort of messiah that be Dirk's allstar replacement.

12. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Both are good role players, however both have their pro's and con's.
    Tjones - Better shooter, Better handles, More athletic, Better shot blocker
    Dmo - Better Post Moves, Stronger, Taller

I'd start Jones (based off last year performance, not sure how he will perform after he comes back) because he fits better with Dwight Howard.

Howard (32)/ Dmo (10)/ Black (6)
    TJones (30)/ Dmo (20)

Breakdown of minutes.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Jones is a marginally better shooter if that. To be honest they both suck at shooting.

I'm not sure if Jones actually has better handles. Maybe somewhat, but D-Mo has shown his handles are quite good. And he is the far superior passer.

Neither guy rebounds that well, but I would say Jones is better at it for sure.

You've also left off the biggest difference: defense. D-Mo is an exponentially better defender than Jones is in every single way aside from getting cool shot blocks.

D-Mo is the better player and has a far greater upside. Jones could never be a first option. D-Mo at times over the last 3 weeks has had to be the first option and done a great job at it all the while playing above average in other facets of the game and anchoring a top 5 NBA defense. I mean there shouldn't even be a debate about this.

Tweener PF's just do not do it for me. Name me all the NBA teams in the past 15 years that have won a championship with an undersized tweener PF starting on their team. Spurs? No. Heat? No. Lakers? No. Celtics? No. Mavs? No.

Only the Heat in 06 with Halem at PF and the Pistons with Corlis Williamson had undersized guys playing PF for them and won a championship.

I don't like 2/15 ratios.

14. omgTHEpotential

FYP :)

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not sure it's so much to do with can't play together as need one of them out there, someone who can create his own shot or draw a double late in the clock, like i definitely want dwight and dmo finishing together (the ability to create your own shot is the gold standard of crunch time), plus there's usually a lot of garbage guy points to be had early on in games.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's amazing how many people still think Jones is equal to D-Mo defensively. I don't trust either one of them with a jump shot, and neither do opposing defenses, so I don't give either guy an advantage there.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He was much improved earlier in the year and was visibly better able to hold position, plus he's better at switching and his pterodactyl arms fit perfectly into our trap and switch scheme

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know why and this is kind of on Morey, McHair and their followers......

They valued Center above PF. They should watch how the NBA develops into having 'Front Court PF/C hybrids' now. That is the thing.

Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Al Horford...... are the standard nowadays.

A clear No. 1 who can play both positions well

19. omgTHEpotential

All those 3 guys are athletic specimens though.

20. Ghost_of_Akeem

Excellent post, OP.

I would read this again and I hope many others do too.