1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-MO future all star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Specnaz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Agree. If DMo is healthy and producing, Jones has to be traded for value. That is why bringing back Smith would have been great.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dmos career is 8 and 4, less than Kanter.

Asik didn't get the max. Thanks for pointing that out.

Lets look beyond raw numbers then.

Hardens advanced numbers were very good, elite in certain areas. Asiks advanced stats were great on defense. They both also were limited by minutes from being on the bench and saw a big jump in production with more minutes. With 28mpg DMo still only averaged 12 and 6 second half he got 30mpg and got 13.3 and 5.6.

He's very good at creating in the post, but beyond that he doesn't appear to have amazing advanced stats.

All that adds up to less than a max player, unless you're Cuban, of course.

3. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

When you consider the post defense, DMo is much more center/pivot than Kanter.

4. Mr. Clutch

He doesn't have to be traded for value, we can try to sign him for cheap.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

C, PF........SF,SG...positions are becoming inter-changeable. There is a lot of overlap. DMO is 7'0" and plays in the post the majority of the time. That is a marketable skill that will be IN DEMAND in a MARKET that is FLUSH with cash burning a hole in the owners pockets.

The "overspending" in 2016 FA will be insane. Be prepared. I know Morey is.

6. Mr. Clutch

Not sure where you're getting that. When Dwight was out DMo struggled at C. he's very good at PF

7. Mr. Clutch

Morey won't overspend unless it's for that last piece, which DMo may be

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Still vastly better than Kanter defensively, and how many 7 footers with DMo's level of defense, advanced post game, and 3 point shooting ability are there?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To continue, the reason I point this out is because when things are rare, meaning difficult to impossible to replace, they are worth paying for.

I don't think DMo is necessarily a future All Star like this thread was suggesting, but he's certainly a rare player that just about any team would love to have.

10. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

TJones won't sign for cheap before RFA. The Rockets will not be able to afford both he and DMo.

Because the post I was replying to was about Kanter being a C, with the premise that he got the max because that is a more valuable position than DMo plays. Kanter is really only a post player on offense. He is a turnstile on defense. Teams would be better off with DMo at C than Enes Kanter.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The reality is that kanter was a 20/11 guy with OKC after getting big minutes. DMO was in a similar situation last season playing with a ball dominant superstar also and could only muster up 12/6.

Now I do agree that DMO is a better defender than kanter and maybe even plays better winning basketball. But the fact is kanter is a lot better athlete and that helps in the raw numbers category that DMO just couldn't produce.

I really love DMO game but the reality is both guys were given the green light to be the 2nd option for a portion of the season. One guy avg 20/11 the other 12/6 that's just facts. I don't think DMO gets max money from houston at all unless he avg 18/9 while improving his defense and mid range shot like iv said in earlier posts. He's def a unique talent but he's not a guy that is going to make or break our championship aspiration as is, Now with improvement that could change.

12. Mr. Clutch

Sure I'm not disputing that he is good, just that he's a max player for the Rockets

13. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough, I agree completely with this post.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think being on the Rockets is relevant. Given the economics of the league and the lack of talented big men, DMo will be a max or near max player in the NBA. Really it comes down to paying him or losing him. Since he's a rare talent that couldn't easily be replaced, I'd bet he gets paid.

If he was easily replaceable, they'd choose to replace him.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

It's not all about on-court, he contributes off the court as well. That's why we keep him.

16. Mr. Clutch

Well what's relevant is Morey doesn't overpay like other teams do.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And my point is that it's not overpaying because it's for a rare player.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

But you forgot that he knows how to box out LOL. :grin: We are definitely in the summer doldrums now when people start calling DMO a future all star.

19. Mr. Clutch

#CubanLogic

20. OpenLayup-Why3?

Wow... The DMO hate is a real thing, Mr. Cluth and YaoMing#1. What were they feeding you in 2002 that you grew to hate DMO?

You spilled so much one sided info that doesn't describe reality, I don't even know where to start. DMO defends better than Kanter at center, his post up is better which is also Center's skill. And DMO is much better as PF, shot 37% from 3 entire season.
    DMO was never given "the green light to be 2nd option". He was 2nd option in theory, but in reality Ariza and Beverley, and Howard, and Smith all thought they were too and they didn't treat DMO as 2nd option, they couldn't even make a catchable post pass.
    Also, Kanter never made his team better. Those are empty stats he is putting up. Same numbers he allows other team get in return on the other end.
    Also bringing up career averages, when you know very well that first 2 seasons of bench warming and Dleague have nothing to do with who the player is right now.
    People who don't see what DMO brings to the team either don't watch games or watch them with agenda to ignore everything good what DMO does. I don't consider option that guys who are in this forum for 13 years wouldn't have the eye to recognize player's value.