1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D. Fisher Released

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

because he doesnt care about basketball right now
    are some people not grasping what is going on here?

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WTF? Did you not read anything going on or are you just not very smart? HE WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF HIS DAUGHTER WITH CANCER, NOT PLAY BASKETBALL - REGARDLESS OF TEAM OR LOCALE. Is that really so hard to understand? Especially considering that he's already probably has more money in the bank than most of us will make over the course of our entire lives.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

even though i cant stand his flopping, fisher is a class guy. best of luck

im not sure all the details. It why didnt they guy him out? i didnt think players/teams could just stop a contract. :confused: if thats the case release tmac and pick him up mid season for lle. he's made enough money ;)

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you read the article, he is thinking about playing in one of six cities. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Houston has a kickass med center.

Sign him up and release all our other garbage guards.

6. across110thstreet

reading is fundamantal, but interpreting an analyzing what you read is even more important..

he is thinking about "living" in one of those cities,, and has not ruled out playing for another team... he isnt going anywhere for basketball...

#46 across110thstreet, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Can't stand the guy on the court but very impressed with him doing this to be with his daughter, think a large % of players wouldn't walk away from that kind of money

8. rockbox

That wasn't my point. The point is he is open to playing and I was asking why Utah didn't wait and possibly trade him to one of those cities.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Chill out, guys. I think we're all on the same page, here.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Apparently his daughter is being treated in NY, I would assume at Sloan-Kettering. That would leave the Knicks, maybe the Nets. No reason in my mind to come to Houston even if he planned to play basketball next season.

11. across110thstreet

I dont think some people are...

i think my point is basketball is the last thing on his mind, playing for an NBA team next season is the next to last thing, and taking care of his baby is the most important thing right now...

12. Pocket Rockets

Special Situation
    Jul 3 - By announcing things on July 2, Derek Fisher's able to try and recoup as much of that $21 million as possible. He's hoping to find a team that'll pay him some chunk of their midlevel exception.
    Fisher said in his news conference, "I'll kind of be at the mercy of what's left once everything is finalized," but he has positioned himself to at least entertain bidders, though he is looking for a special situation with his daughter's care.

Fisher's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Fisher would not be sitting out next season and probably would sign during this July window for free agents. Bartelstein wouldn't say what cities would fit Fisher's needs but it's safe to assume they're New York, Los Angeles, etc. -- Salt Lake Tribune

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Well, now things have taken a slight turn as he seems to want to play next season.
    So like Kelly said, chill out.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't take that article that way at all, but considering the article just posted by Pocket Rocket, it's now obvious to me that I was wrong. That said, I apologize.

It still seems crazy to me to talk about what team he'll be playing for when his daughter has cancer, but you were apparently right. He will be playing.

#53 Williamson, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Too bad Morey jumped the gun and traded Juwan for Mike James, otherwise, with Juwan, Battier, Dikembe, and Fisher on the same tea, the Rockets will dominate the opposition each night with classiness.

15. rockbox

We're cool. So back to the original question. Why didn't Utah try to trade him to a city that where his daughter could be treated? Is it because none of those teams would have given Utah anything they would want? Is Utah close to the LT, and thought it was an easy out?

If he wanted to play in Houston, I would love to have him as a backup for a part of the MLE as long as we could get rid of 3 or 4 of our current guards for a power foward.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is that Fisher is kind of overpriced... anyone they take back would likely also have not so great a contract.

17. Fatty FatBastard

According to the AP, Fisher is willing to play in 7 cities that can take care of his daughter's needs. I have to assume we are one of them.

He's a good player, and obviously a class guy off the court. I'd say give him an offer.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does the CBA allow preplanned arrangements to miss some away trips.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

I'd give Lebron a break here. If someone was to offer you a 20 million dollar a year job that forced you to work on certain days a year (barring death in immediate family) - i think you would take it. It's one of the reasons these guys make so much dough. it's part of the job. we're not talking regular season game here - but the finals.

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I know we are rightfully applauding him to making this decision but we have to take in consideration the perspective of the fact that he (Mr. Fisher) has made enough money to last him and his children or child a lifetime. It sure makes the decision easier, though no less commendable.

Would it be such an easy decision if he was financially strapped and just barely getting into the league? God has given him the grace to be where he is now and the strength to do what he has chosen to do.

Please note that part of reason he reported ended this was not necessarily to quit the game to be signed in a city where he would be close to his daughter - a city with the best care facilities and doctors for the disease in question. It is not like he is totally walking away but he said (according to ESPN's SPORTSCENTER) that he is seriously considering retirement.

It is well.

P.S. How this move affects the CBA in this discourse is an interesting one. Does it open a Pandora's box? Should the NBA allow it? Is there an exception the CBA?