1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D. Fisher Released

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i dont think they are pulling a fast one here... its the real reason...

do an image search of retinoblastoma to see how serious cases look like when they are untreated... she could easily have to lose an eye to save her own life

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

this thread should not be about basketball.

My prayers and well wishes go out for .04's daughter and his family. best of luck, man.

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

^0.4*

4. WildSweet&Cool

In fact, according to Wikipedia, "until recently the only treatment was to remove the affected eyeball before the cancer spread". There are some new procedures that try to keep the eyeball, but I don't know what their success rates are.

And, if they don't get all the cancer out, the cancer can spread to her brain.

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85cZB9O_LkE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85cZB9O_LkE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Haha I love that fat guy in the red shirt high-fiving everyone like "that's how we roll baby!"

7. uchlha

uchlha Member

idiot -_-

8. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Guys, Fisher left $21 millions on his contract so he can be with his daughter for her cancer treatment. Can you imagine that? TWENTY-ONE MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS!!! Not all NBA players are money/power hungry jerks. Give him major major props for that.

That being said, he just saved the Jazz $7 annual cap space for the next 3 years. We are toast... :(

9. SmitingPurpleEm

Based on what the Jazz fans are saying over on RGM, I don't think the money actually comes off the cap. They're just not paying him. I suppose this is being treated like a retirement; in which case the money doesn't come off the cap because Fisher is not retiring due to injury.

This is obviously all secondary to the real reason Fisher retired. Best of luck to him and his family.

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Then major major props to the Jazz. Letting a guy off his contract without cap benefit deserves props.

11. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Its ridiculous how deep the jazz are they have williams, boozer, milsap, okur, harpring, kirelinko, brewer, harpring and almond if they loose fisher. and they are trying to sign mo pete, steve blake or earl boykins. Jesus, that's a 10 man deep team. good luck to derek fisher......

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I do think he should move to Houston. Not for basketball. Because his daughter will get the best care possible.

Good luck to the Fishers. I can't imagine having to go through something like that with my son. A former co-worker of mine had to leave his job because his daughter had the same thing. Unfortunately, his daughter had to lose her eye, but the cancer is gone and she will get the chance to have a normal life.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I bet he signs with the Lakers for the MLE. Meaning he'll lose millions, but not $21 million.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

huh? When? Next season? I doubt it. Unless it's like a 2 year deal. But even then, I think at this point Fisher is a vet minimum kind of guy.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

During the playoffs reports stated that his daughter was getting treated in NY. Wouldn't California be too far if that is still the case?

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

D Fish is a man among boys. I think what he's doing not only makes him seem like a good person, it adds a level of depth to this league that so many of the druggies, jail bouncers, and all together train wrecks take away each time they step foot outside the court. D Fish, you are an example to all the AI's, Ron Artests, and Stephen Jacksons out there.

the show

17. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I always knew he had a big heart on the court, but it really isn't anything compared to the one off the court.

I hope his daughter gets all the care possible.

18. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

Does his contract still count against the cap? Do they get any relief at all, or does his contract still count?

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why didn't the Jazz just trade him to a team that he wanted to play on.

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

21 million dollars. Nice.

Good news -- Ross Siler from the LA Daily News says that the announcement doesn't mean his daughter's condition has actually worsened.

21 million dollars, maaan. Big man.