1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say at every turn he has not taken responsibility. Covid-19 didn’t start here but it is here and has been here for awhile. Leadership is about taking responsibility and one thing Trump never does is take responsibility.

joshuaao, B-Bob, Andre0087 and 6 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I’m saying is that if we aren’t careful the cure could be worse than the disease. Covid-19 is dangerous. Long term shortages especially from hoarding and panic buying and a collapse of our supply chain is also very dangerous.

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Technically, you can be infected by both viruses at the same time...Virus strains work independent of each other and you can get infected multiple times by the same strain if your body is unable to build a proper resistance to it.

About 7 years ago, I had three mild virus strains all at the same time even though I tend to be a very clean person. None by themselves would have done much, however, all three together knocked me on my butt with dizziness and severe cold symptoms that kept me out of work for a week. These strains are much more serious.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump has literally abandoned American's role as a world leader, shirking responsibility, calling it a "foreign virus" and putting up "walls" while other countries are showing real leadership. Heck, while trump is blocking travel from parts of Europe while they wrestle with the global crisis, china is sending expertise, technology, and financial aid to our allies.

joshuaao, Blatz and RayRay10 like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

My gosh, now pence is jumbling up the previous clarifications in an attempt to praise trump...

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Interesting article from 538. Even if the virus goes away once it warms up, it won't mean that we've got rid of it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/flu-comes-back-every-year-will-coronavirus/

Flu Comes Back Every Year. Will Coronavirus?

Could spring be the thing that saves us from the novel coronavirus? President Trump has suggested as much, telling a rally that “heat generally speaking kills this kind of virus” so “[the virus] will go away in April.” It’s not a totally bizarro suggestion, given that flu and polio and a lot of other viruses really are seasonal, usually with transmission spiking in the colder winter months.

But — and you knew the “but” was coming — experts say we don’t yet know enough about coronavirus to tell whether it’s likely to be seasonal. More importantly, though, a virus doesn’t just “go away” because it’s warm. If coronavirus cases drop off in summer, that just means there’s a risk of it resurging in fall. And if it does come back — that means our efforts to actually stop it have failed.

The factors that make some viruses seasonal are complicated and, in some ways, still kind of a mystery, said Wan Yang, professor of epidemiology at Columbia University. Heat does play a role, she said. Viruses tend to survive better in cold — kinda the opposite of how bacteria do better in warmth. “That’s why we have more food poisoning in summer,” she said.

But humidity turns out to be a bigger player here. It comes down to physics, much of which researchers are still trying to understand, said Spencer Fox, a data scientist who has published research on the seasonality of the flu and the epidemiology of viruses. A virus like the flu spreads when people sneeze and spray aerosolized droplets of gunk and virus into the air. Humidity affects how long those droplets hang out where other humans can breathe them in and how well the virus can survive inside the droplet.

One theory is that the low humidity in winter means the liquid coating protecting the virus droplet doesn’t evaporate as quickly, Yang said. This theory would also explain why tropical areas have a flu season associated not with cold weather but with extremely high humidity — another situation when there’s not much evaporation happening. In between those extremes, the liquid in the virus-carrying droplets tends to evaporate, concentrating solids and making an environment less hospitable to viral survival, she said.

Again, though, this is from research on the flu. It doesn’t necessarily mean the virus that causes COVID-19 would work the same way. The thing we call a “common cold” can sometimes be caused by a coronavirus, and Yang said colds aren’t as strongly seasonal as the flu is. Another counterexample, Yang said, is SARS, which in 2003 made some people sick in late spring in Toronto — in other words, a place with warmer conditions similar to those in much of the United States. (SARS was also caused by a coronavirus — there are many.) In other words, waiting for the season to change should not be your plan for stopping the spread of a novel virus.

Which brings us to the other part of the problem. “SARS didn’t just disappear,” Yang said. Unlike the flu, SARS flared up on the global stage and then vanished. It hasn’t come back seasonally. But there’s nothing about the SARS virus itself that made it a one-time thing, somehow physically different from perennial viruses that pester us on an annual basis. “It disappeared because of very stringent public health control and intervention,” she told me. “If there weren’t such control it might still be circulating.”

Turns out, another of the biggest factors in whether a virus becomes seasonally recurrent is whether it reaches a level of transmission that is pandemic (prevalent everywhere) and endemic (circulating constantly in local human populations). You can stop that from happening, as with SARS, by tightly monitoring the spread of a novel virus — watching the people who have been exposed, isolating the people who are sick, cutting off the virus’s access to new hosts.

But if you don’t do that — or you don’t do it effectively — a new virus can easily become a recurrent one. Flu is pandemic and endemic. It doesn’t disappear every summer. It’s just biding its time, hanging out in human bodies (either at low levels of infection or in the opposite hemisphere), ready to spread again once conditions improve. SARS never became pandemic and endemic — largely because of a lot of human effort, and partly because of a convenient tendency to not be very transmissible until victims showed symptoms of infection.

But the new COVID-19 virus doesn’t seem to offer us that handicap. There seem to be asymptomatic cases, and mild ones that people don’t recognize as dangerous. And there’s evidence suggesting people can spread the virus before they’re even showing symptoms themselves. That makes it more challenging for public health experts to stop, Yang said. When I asked her how likely it was that COVID-19 could become seasonal, she laughed ruefully. “Nobody knows,” she said. “The WHO still says there’s hope we can get this under control.”

7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Kind of off topic, but I've never noticed until today...I'm pretty sure Pence dyes his hair white. That's...odd.

B-Bob, KingCheetah and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pre-market down to 21.8k

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...you sure that's not...(G)odd?

...betcha Pence thinks so...;)

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How would you do that?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. CometsWin

The bigotexx bot needs a software upgrade.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This country is so messed up

Was just browsing comments on the Tom Hanks story and a lot of people believe he and his wife are faking this to hurt Trump

13. KingCheetah

I imagine Trump is in complete meltdown mode right about now.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

these people will believe this all the way to the hospital. That’s a cult.

15. CometsWin

Sharp folks. They are ever closer to uncovering the Wuhan Conspiracy led by George Soros. We must obfuscate.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's gonna step down soon and give it up to Pence.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

There's not a chance in hell of that happening.

B-Bob and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unrelated but related is the likelihood that Trump freaked out yesterday more so by the Harvey Weinstein sentencing and the Coronavirus response just got the brunt of his ignorant frustration.

My guess is he’s really seriously freaking out about losing the election because life after the presidency is not looking so good for Donald. People forget about the pending Summer Zervos case among others like the crimes he ordered that his lawyer is sitting in jail for right now as we speak.

If the Coronavirus tanks his presidency and his approval rating goes in the tank, this is a man who has a lot to lose on the outside. If he was smart, he would have abandoned the presidency in exchange for blanket pardons many months ago. This is a guy whose fear of potentially going to jail has our country in a situation where we now have a public health crisis that is crashing our economy almost overnight.

B-Bob, Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

I've seen predictions of another spike in the fall...

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

Any updates on Jared's plan of action?

arkoe and TheFreak like this.