1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love baseball and other sports league's idea that if they jsut play some games in Arizona or Florida everything will be fine.

Public health emergency measures, if we're going to impose them, and we probably should, need to be nationwide. Not "well just not at spring training sites" geniuses.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Then factor in the 1% mortality rate...

jcf and malakas like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This will not be that different that the normal Worrier home games this year. Hee hee.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Appears that trump and his admin are scrambling...

It really is time for trump and his admin to be up front with the American people. And don't start off with "many people praise me for closing off the border" backpats...

malakas likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

The Germans think it will infect 70% of them. Must be because they dont take such good measures as America.

6. Nook

Nook Member

This is part of the problem. Their health care system really isn't that advanced. The healthcare system in a lot of Europe isn't advanced compared to the USA. It is better at providing for everyone in Europe, better at preventative care and better at pursuing alternative solutions. However the technology, total monetary expense and size of the medical system in the USA is vastly better than the rest of the world.

It isn't a matter of me saying we shouldn't go to a single payer, it is a matter of both systems having strengths and weaknesses. In the case of Italy there are many many factors figuring into their struggles. For example, I strongly suspect that Italy has FAR less per capita ICU beds or highly trained doctors and nurses compared to the USA. The availability of supplies is higher in the USA too.

All of these are reasons why a lot of doctor's have expected the fatality rate to be lower in the USA than in a lot of other areas in the world. The USA will have issues mobilizing as fast as other places and there will be issues with employees working while sick in the USA.... but there are also strengths.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Everything is fine.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

That scares the ever living **** out of me. I got a sister that takes immunosuppressants for a health condition and is a successful real estate agent, a very social job, and a mom that is 78 years old that is politically active around Austin and makes frequent visits to large public venues. I've dealt with a lot of loss recently and I'm not ready to deal with more like that from some ****ing virus that could have been better contained.

9. malakas

malakas Member

It depends on what doses and what kind of immunosuppresants she takes. In fact lately they have been giving heavy immunosuppresants to ICU patients to battle their cytocin storms ( the most common complication that sends you with one foot in the grave and what killed everyone during the spanish flu).
    I am not saying she isnt in the risky groups because she definitely is but she may be in better position than you think.

However the best is to lock them up for a month.

And if it makes you feel better I have the stats from Italy of 2 days ago and younger than 50 there were only 3 deaths. (SO FAR).

London'sBurning likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no way those hyper organized Nazis are going to allow 70% of the population to become infected. They will just yell at the virus in Hitler voice and it will quickly surrender and flee to France.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I was hoping someone would take a swing at that slow pitch.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

@London'sBurning Our CDC also said that if it isn't a real bad condition people who take NSAIDs and other immunosuppresants may consider cutting them for a while. Better have your sister go see her doctor and talk to him.

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

While I believe many aspects of the corona virus have been over stated, your family members are likely in the demographics that need to be concerned.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yea-ah... this guy is pretty damned click-baity. Would not follow.
    The doubling time of caseload has never been close to what he's talking about.
    Think we have better, saner sources.

malakas likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don’t have good visibility into our hospitals capability. In hou, we are lucky with so many hospitals but in other cities and states... don’t know. I’m concern for older friend and family members in state with health care system that definitely is far behind hou capacity. Even here in hou area, what is our capacity?

16. malakas

malakas Member

Anyone has the flu charts for the US?

I don't have Italys but I have Greece's that should be similar. Here in southern Europe the end of February and start of March is the peak of flu season. It means ICU beds are already half full with flu patients especially this year that the vaccine was faulty.
    I saw the comparison with the last 5 years and the peak this year is much higher than in the past.
    Italian doctors said the same. Not only there aren't enough beds but the timing is horrible.

If it hits us in 2 weeks for example we would be much better of.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

We could always be better, but we are in good shape compared to the rest of the world.

The last I looked we (USA) had 7X the ICU capacity of the UK per capita and the capability to quickly convert and double that number. Now that doesn't mean there are not issues, there will be and the quality of care will suffer if enough people get seriously sick. There are going to be staffing concerns as well.

A lot of it also depends on what size outbreak are we discussing? An outbreak that is of the size some have speculated and we are toast just like everyone else on the planet. A more mild outbreak as is what many doctors are privately saying they expect, we will be stretched but can likely do it.

My concern with the USA is that typically people either panic or do nothing. We will need to have a stronger sense of community, and in a nation where individuality is so strong, that will be hard.

Right now we have a lot of politicians and decisions makers using this as a way to gild their lily because the outbreak isn't that concerning yet.

What happens to the world economy if the USA shuts down even 50% of all work for the next 3-4 weeks? What are the social ramifications of that. It isn't just financial, it goes beyond that.

The USA is extremely sheltered and wealthy, the psychology will be interesting to see.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The CDC website does.

Overall the flu charts show that flu activity remains high but has been decreasing for a month.

Hospitalization is moderate - low to low and deaths are registered as low.

For reference the flu/pneumonia death rate in the USA is currently .4

"The Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network (FluSurv-NET) conducts population-based surveillance for laboratory-confirmed influenza-related hospitalizations in select counties in the Emerging Infections Program (EIP) states and Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Project (IHSP) states.

A total of 16,819 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations were reported by FluSurv-NET sites between October 1, 2019 and February 29, 2020"

malakas likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

trump went from "its going to disappear" to blaming Democrats...

But good thing... trump and his admin are developing a plan now...