1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"43% of U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Are Linked to Nursing Homes":

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

so I'd say the math that is your strong suit is probably just a wee bit off

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

that also means about 75,000 deaths are then NOT linked to nursing homes though. Ugh.

(but I’m not really seeing the whole side debate there.)

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My gosh, cornyn is a douche bag...

RayRay10, No Worries and malakas like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, Lou made a simple arithmetic calculation [(3x125) ÷ 25] but then confuses this number with a risk assessment ("you are 15 times more likely to dies of Covid than in a car"). There are any number of problems with such a statement: the problem that not all risk is evenly distributed, for example; or the difference between hazard and risk. A shark is a hazard, from which we all potentially could die; but if I do not swim in the water, I am at no risk whatsoever of being subjected to harm from a shark. There is also a difference between individual risk and societal or population risk: Lou seems to imply that bigtexx is 15 times more likely as an individual to die of covid-19 than in a car crash. But if bigtexx is NOT living in a nursing home, then his individual risk of dying of covid is certainly less than the probability Lou assigns to him. And if bigtexx is following social distancing guidelines, wearing a mask, staying home, etc. etc., then bigtexx's individual risk of dying from covid is going to be FAR less than Lou estimates. None of the relevant risk assessment factors for bigtexx can be ascertained from a simple arithmetic calculation of deaths in the population.

AroundTheWorld, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Very good post.

To add to this individual risk of dying from covid, bigtexxx is in peak physical condition, less than 10% body fat, no underlying conditions, and sexy as hell.

AroundTheWorld and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember back when bigtexx was telling people he hopes they are enjoying their lockdown as he bragged about being on vacation. Nobody enjoys lockdown. To mock people trying to stay safe, avoid risk, avoid the spread, and protect their loved ones is childish and selfish. Maybe if more people took this seriously we wouldn't have let this situation escalate to the point it is now.

7. bigtexxx

I am of the belief that the lockdown didn't do much for us. I believe somewhere between 20-40 million Americans got this virus, and we only detect a tiny percentage of the true number of cases. This also could explain why despite all the "new" cases (more like discovered cases...), deaths per day isn't going up.

Just look at Los Angeles - one of the strictest lockdowns in America, and a very high number of cases.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Lol that nazi was actually saying that the victims were going to die anyway so no big deal.
    Why do you all keep paying attention to a sociopath?

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  9. bigtexxx

They pay attention to me because they cannot refute my points. It frustrates them to no end.

...and I won't stoop to your level and use insults. Protip: insults reveal that you're unable to debate using fact, logic and reason. Not a good look, kid.

10. malakas

malakas Member

I only have one thing to say to you, the same as 4 months ago.
    Go kill yourself first before you advocate for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of vulnerable humans.
    You are going to die anyway so no big deal, as per your words.
    Until then you have no credibillity.

RayRay10 and BallaDoc like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Oh but they stand in their balconies and clap for you and send free pizza to the hospitals. They call you hero! Arent you happy? Dont you feel appreciated?:rolleyes:

I dont even want to know how many healthcare professionals will be suffering from PTSD after all this is over.

12. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

You’re a ****ing moron. The lockdown worked I was the admitting ICU physician during the first wave of cases to the IcU. We admitted a 44 year old mom with no comorbidities. She went on later to die. But I remember being thankful on nights that the first wave only took half our available ICU beds. The first peak settled out because we were under strict lockdown. The moment Abbott and that prick Patrick decided to open up every single ICU physician has been mentally and emotionally preparing for this battle. This surge is nothing like the first. We have 200 covids in a 300 bed hospital. The entire medical icu and surgical icu is full of covids intubated. They take weeks to die and crash repeatedly during those two weeks. I have no one over the age of 70 on a vent. The age range is from 18 to 68. They were not supposed to die from your self picked stats. But they will now. The lockdown worked. Our first wave was mild and manageable. Then your repubs opened up the economy and now we’re drowning along with our patients. The death numbers are lagging and will climb. We can not safely extubate these patients even after 2-3 weeks. And as each day passes and we burn through sedation and paralytics their oxygenation doesn’t improve. While these patients occupy my time I’ve had to offload DKa and renal failure patients to physicians who are not trained in medicine or critical care. You’re a stupid **** who does not understand the complexities of medicine. I’m tired of people like you thinking you know **** about the war were in. How about to u shut the **** up and listen to the doctors nurses and epidemiologists on this matter.

DVauthrin, RayRay10, Outlier and 3 others like this.
  13. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I’m a physician what that means is I’m 120K in debt. I spent 14 years post hs training and educating myself. I worked 80 hour work weeks to learn my craft. I have professional malpractice insurance. I am required to maintain state licensure. This is the story of almost every doctor.

I don’t see your telling your plumber how to do his craft, or your mechanic, or your lawyer, or your real estate agent, or your chef, or most importantly your generals. So when the most experienced and studied people in your population, scientists and physicians, tell you take it seriously man up and mask up and go lockdown you should listen.

14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

**** the appreciation. I’m pulling in more night ha and weekends and get no hazard pay. This was m”expected” for my job. A once in a lifetime pandemic was expected. The ignorance of my common man was expected. People believing feaux scientists was expected. Failure of every republican politician and voter was expected. Thanks for the appreciation guys. When my daughter is an orphan cause I had to intubate your selfish ass she’ll really appreciate it.

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and malakas like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

You should make a new thread. Texan ICU doctor and copy these posts you made.

It might save lives at this point.
    I have been saying to the posters here to go hide for the next 4 weeks. We in Europe have been all through all this and know what is going to happen.

Its one thing coming from a doctor and another from a generic poster.
    Please.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  16. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Broadway star dies of COVID at age 41.

Stay safe, people.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I said, on average, you are 15 times more like to die from Covid than a car accident - notice I said "on average" meaning the average person - that includes people living in nursing homes. I don't assume that you and @bigtexxx are not in nursing homes as you are just internet people.

If you exclude nursing homes, that still means the average non-nursing home resident is 9 times more likely to die from covid than a car accident.

At any rate, the point is the argument "big"texxx is making - that you are more likely to die in a car accident than covid is laughably false

@B-Bob

#5058 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  19. bigtexxx

I love how doctors think they know everything. Not just about medicine, the ones I know believe they know everything about the stock market, finance, politics, everything. They're used to being a subject matter expert, because they spent so much time with their nose in a book, and they're seen as a subject matter expert in their narrow field by their patients all day. It pumps them up to think they know everything about everything. However, why did the experts tell us masks wouldn't help us 3 months, ago, and now have totally reversed course? Why do 20% of New Yorkers have the antibodies for this virus? Why aren't deaths in America following the time lag vs cases that you suggest? Why does Los Angeles, with one of the strictest lockdowns in America, have so many cases?

Look, I respect your work, and the fact that you are caring for others. I really do. But turning to fact, logic and reason - the lockdown was absurd. It succeeded only in flattening the economy. Everybody stay home, and then meet up at one central location (the grocery store), and then go back home to spread whatever you picked up to your family. ....and if you're an "essential worker", then no lockdown for you. You can't link the lockdown to the examples you highlighted above - there are many other factors, including the effect of the lockdown on people (not going in for preventive care, mental stress, when the virus came and passed through your town, etc).

20. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

You’re ****ing dense and have no critical thinking skills. Masks HAVE ALWAYS helped. Faulk came out and stated the reason those comments were made initially was because of a supply chain issue. There was a great fear in not having ppe for medical staff. He’s directly quoted on this very topic. So you’re wrong again. And speaking personally for me and my division I always said masks are needed. You can scroll my post history I got into a fight at my hospital admins over this ruling. Very clearly the CDC said restrict masks if supply chain is compromised.

**** you I don’t want your respect when we’re fighting a war. **** you if you still don’t understand how bad this is when every scientist and doctor is p,easing with you to lockdown and mask up. The lockdown served its purpose asshat. The point of it was to keep hospital infrastructure fleixble to care for all patients and not just covids. Right now we’re out of staff beds ventilators and respiratory machines because guess what the whole hospital is only covid? Where you gonna to know for possible chest pain that may be a heart attack? Sorry not here we’re full up and cardiologists are too scared to catch. When the lockdown was in place we didn’t have those issues. The lockdown lifted and now we do. It’s very easy cause and effect sorry if you’re **** for brains can’t comprehend that.

AleksandarN, DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.