1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Do not underestimate the Trump Voter.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are the fool. I'm the one who realized a long time ago that Trump can't be trusted where you still believe those constant lies he spurts out are true.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

A quick economics rant

First we deiced ( stupidly) agaisnt cutting direct checks because it might help people that didnt need it

Then we decided try to get people to sign up for unemployment even tho the system itself is inefficient and a maze ( different with every state)

Now we are worried about the negative incentive unemployment creates ( people not wanting to go back to work)

Now "dems" want to give people 2k a month .

Recently ive heard the quote " the US will do the right thing once they have tried everything else"

Its so frustrating to me. Our entire economic response has been targeted incorrectly and is inadequate.

"dems" in quotes because im not sure party leadership actually wants this. There seem to be about 10 people in congress ( on both sides) that want to put the american people first and just do direct cash payments. OF course, now that weve already bailed out big business and tried some small stuff to help normal people ( that has been plagued by **** ups either unemployment, people not getting checks, PPP running out of $ )

What the **** is the govt actually trying to do ?

This is gonna come to a head with normal people. Are we supposed to accept that this is the best our govt can do ? Will a leader from either party emerge ?

There is no better policy than simply putting $ in peoples hands .... want to help people pay the bills ? put $ in their hands ... want to help small businesses stay afloat ? put $ in their customers hands .... and dont do this **** where they have to keep paying people not to work , but its ok because we will give them a loan to pay salaries .... except you cant get the loan .

Dont get me wrong , its not a perfect policy. Anything so simple , any one policy cant be the entire answer to a systemic problem like this. But, it can help a lot. The reason people are drowning ( economically) are fixed costs and the bleak future outlook ( due to people not having or not spending $) .... putting some resources in peoples hands makes up for it.

Now , i havent read any proposed "UBI" plan yet. And my opinion could vary depending on the numbers and who gets it .

Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, as long as the medical system is operating as it should, then we should be able to begin a return to normalcy to a certain extent.

Just in the last couple of days it seems that many people are seeing a fairly similar path forward. The data we’ve gathered over the past several months is showing us where we need to focus our efforts and who needs the most protection. The sick and elderly need to use extreme caution. People coming in contact with the sick and elderly need to use extreme caution. Most other people need to do what they can to help prevent the spread, but should not have a great deal of fear for their own safety.

So, as we continue to learn more about this virus, I’m feeling more optimistic about the near future. However, it’s still going to be a challenge protecting the people who are at the greatest risk. But, at least now we seem to know where to focus our efforts.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It was April 1st when Texas had its first documented Coronavirus case! By April 8th we had 9,353 cases and 177 deaths. One month later we are up to 37,553 cases and 1042 deaths. What do we do? Turn a blind eye to the risk and go out for a haircut and sit down in a restaurant to eat, and go to a movie. Next week, back to the gyms. This is all on Trump, Abbott, and the leaders who tell people it's time to get back to work.

On March 8th the US had 550 cases and 22 deaths. April 8th we had 432,000 cases and 14,700 deaths. May 8th we had 1,321,785 cases and 76,615 deaths.

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, sure, but, er um, we need to take this one day at a time. ;)

I'm with you, but the public sentiment has shifted. And there are other studies predicting up to 150,000 American deaths from the psychological and social and economic factors from quarantine. We are not exactly part of a patient (damn that pun again) culture.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I found this plot kind of useful (sorry it doesn't paste, b/c it's interactive).

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

To me it says a bunch of countries that have tried some serious measure of quarantine/distancing/etc can all reduce the death rate to about 5 or 6, per million citizens, per day. They're all converging to that #, no matter their circumstances or population size. (For the US, that would mean about 1,700 - 2,000 per day. As we ease things, you can probably bump that number up for all these countries. Let's say as we're easing restrictions we'll get up to, say 8 or even 9 deaths per million per day. So we're talking 2,600 to 3,000 American deaths per day until we get closer to herd immunity or much better therapeutics or a vaccine or some combo of those things.

That's a lot of dead people, but TBH, I can totally understand a society saying 2k/day and a crushing economic depression lasting ? years ... is actually worse than 3k/day lasting for another 3-12 months. That's kind of grim but there's a logic to it.

We're not making this decision in a reasoned way though. We're just collectively saying we're sick of it and incapable of being more collaborative for such decisions.

8. No Worries

Filmmaker compares reopening the country to reopening Jurassic Park in brilliant essay: ‘Life finds away’ — unless you’re eaten by a velociraptor

Sure, the Velociraptors Are Still On the Loose, But That's No Reason Not to Reopen Jurassic

Sure, the Velociraptors Are Still On the Loose, But That's No Reason Not to Reopen Jurassic

Hello, Peter Ludlow here, CEO of InGen, the company behind the wildly successful dinosaur-themed amusement park, Jurassic Park. As you’re all aware, after an unprecedented storm hit the park, we lost power and the velociraptors escaped their enclosure and killed hundreds of park visitors, prompting a two-month shutdown of the park. Well, I’m pleased to announce that, even though the velociraptors are still on the loose, we will be opening Jurassic Park back up to the public!

Now, I understand why some people might be skeptical about reopening an amusement park when there are still blindingly fast, 180-pound predators roaming around. But the fact of the matter is, velociraptors are intelligent, shifty creatures that are not going to be contained any time soon, so we might as well just start getting used to them killing a few people every now and then.

As some of you know, Dr. Ian Malcolm, our lead safety consultant, had recommended that we wait until the velociraptors have been located and contained before reopening the park, so he wasn’t thrilled when we told him the news. I believe his exact words were “you were so preoccupied with whether you could reopen the park, you didn’t stop to think whether you should.” Talk about a guy on a high horse.

That said, you’ll be pleased to know that, rather than double down on our containment efforts, we’ve decided to dissolve the velociraptor containment task force altogether, and focus instead on how we can get people back into the park as quickly as possible. So rather than concentrating on so-called life-saving measures like “staying in designated safe areas” or “masking your scent,” we’ll be focusing on the details that will get our customers really excited, like a wider selection of fun hats, a pterodactyl-shaped gondola ride to the top of the island, and a brand new Gordon Ramsay designed menu at the Cretaceous Cafe.

In addition to satisfying our customers, the decision to reopen the park is also about allowing the furloughed employees of Jurassic Park to get back to the work they love. Could we have continued to pay their salaries for several months until we got the velociraptor situation under control? Definitely. We’re the wealthiest nature preserve on the planet after all. And will some of the employees returning to work have their limbs torn off and tossed into the air like a juggler tossing bowling pins? Undoubtedly. But we’re confident that with a few safety precautions put in place, we’ll be able to keep the level of workplace injuries and deaths just below levels that would elicit widespread public outrage. And keeping things just below widespread public outrage levels is our gold standard for all of the decisions we make here at Jurassic Park.

And speaking of injuries, I want to take a moment to thank our Jurassic Park EMTs. They’re the real heroes here, am I right? In the process of responding to velociraptor attacks, many of our EMTs get mauled and dismembered by velociraptors themselves. That’s why, as a sign of appreciation, we will be repainting the Jurassic Park ambulance with the words “Hero Mobile” in big bubble letters. We think this is a far more meaningful token of gratitude than the salary increase they requested.

I know many of you out there are going to be hesitant to return to Jurassic Park knowing there are still velociraptors roaming the preserve, but rest assured things will return to normal sooner rather than later. The life expectancy of a velociraptor is only 15-20 years, so we’re confident that these attacks will eventually run their course.

In the meantime, will more visitors die? Yes. Will more Jurassic Park staff die? Yes. But know that their sacrifice will not be forgotten — we plan to erect a small plaque dedicated to all of the velociraptor attack victims in the far back corner of the gift shop next to the T-shirts that say I SURVIVED A VISIT TO JURASSIC PARK AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT. It’s the least we could do.

So pack your suitcases, and get ready to be reacquainted with the newly reopened, and only slightly more dangerous, Jurassic Park! And remember, life finds a way… unless you’re one of the unlucky ones that gets attacked by a velociraptor, then you’re probably screwed

#4468 No Worries, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    superfob, B-Bob, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

other than allowing unmitigated access to NYC subways perhaps, this was the deadliest policy decision of the pandemic

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nook likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Clearly, he's following the example of the fool in the White House. Don't like the truth? Fire those who dare to contradict the lies.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Good, there's no evidence that locking down the people is helpful in stopping the spread or saving lives. There is direct evidence that it increases unemployment and tanks the economy. Lockdown has been the most disastrous public policy in decades, perhaps ever.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is some brilliant and painful satire...

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is something wrong with that date.

"During a conversation on Jan. 21, Xi reportedly asked Tedros not to announce that the virus could be transmitted between humans and to delay any declaration of a coronavirus pandemic."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/human-human-transmission-coronavirus-reported-china/story?id=68403105

January 20, 2020

Zhong Nanshan, who heads up China's National Health Commission, told Xinhua News Agency, China's official state-run news organization, that two cases of human-to-human transmission had been confirmed in China, one in Wuhan and one in Guangdong.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

From what I saw this weekend, a majority don't give a **** anymore. 2 - 3k lives per day, so be it, people have become desensitized and are only concerned with their own selfish needs.

The majority of people are followers and are unable to think for themselves. This is why government has to have their **** together to have a well coordinated response to situations like these, otherwise, nobody cares. This is what you get. I've accepted it. My only resort, see how things are looking 1 month from now and then decide how to proceed from there. I've accepted that I am on an island when it comes to social distancing and it's a little depressing. I see it at my job, where people are becoming more careless as time is passing. My wife visits her parents every weekend while I haven't been in months with her and it will likely result in straining our relationship. Some of my friends are starting to go back out and I'm turning down invitations. Etc etc.

Good luck to you all.

Just to be clear, I never had a problem with easing restrictions, we can't keep people locked up forever, however it feels that we have failed in educating the masses in how to continue moving forward with life while we have to live this contagious virus that we don't have a vaccine or therapeutics for. We've wasted a lot of time at this point and I'm willing to bet a ton have lost faith in the data that is being put out there.

Ziggy, joshuaao, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  19. No Worries

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I've been saying for awhile. As a society we don't have the will to do what is necessary to fight this. If this is war we're surrendering to the virus.

B-Bob, ElPigto and RayRay10 like this.